38 26.21%
  • Other (who?)

12 8.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Italian Peoples and States

RexImperator's Avatar Biarchus

Default Italian Peoples and States

Of the non Roman people of Italy who do you think could or should be included in Rome assuming a start date of 280 (Pyrrhic War) or 264 (First Punic War)?

Default Re: Italian Peoples and States

Equites Extraordinarii would be a welcome cavalry addition.

An amount of variety similar to EB's would be nice.

if the game begin in the first punic war these people are governed by Rome and some romanized,less the celtic tribes of northern of the italian peninsula and cisalpine gaul.
    i hope that the game begin in the secon punic war for see to the best general of the history,hannibal barca and other generals as scipio,this epoch is the better for a epic game.

Last edited by Anibal at portas; September 11, 2012 at 05:44 PM.

Second Punic War is to late I think.

Etruscans, Samnites and Tarentum are probably the only ones that could have complete unit rosters and be fun to play.

I voted other as well for Campania as a mix of Greek, Oscan and Etruscan. Cities like Capua and Neapolis were very cosmopolitan depite their very different foundations.

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post
    Equites Extraordinarii would be a welcome cavalry addition.

An amount of variety similar to EB's would be nice.
    with 700 units promised i don't see the need to worry about diversity.
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

I'll be skeptical. XD

RNV's Avatar Campidoctor
    Regio Septima, Tuscia, Italia, Res Publica Romana

Too late for them, the Roman Confederation controlled almost all of Italy by the time of the first punic war in one way or another, and the italics fought in the same way as the romans.
    "There is no ugly woman, there is only too few Vodka" - Oleg Pouzanov (ex Soviet fencing team coach)

Horatio Hornblower's Avatar Semisalis

Etruscans, Samnites, Polis of Tarentum and/or magna Graecia, Other (who?) Gauls at North of course!!

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

After learning that R2 won't have a faction limit, I want all of them.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas View Post
    if the game begin in the first punic war these people are governed by Rome and some romanized,less the celtic tribes of northern of the italian peninsula and cisalpine gaul.
    i hope that the game begin in the secon punic war for see to the best general of the history,hannibal barca and other generals as scipio,this epoch is the better for a epic game.

You might want to take the best general of the history part with some salt.
    Hannibals history was recorded by historians hired by the scipii family (words might be a bit iffy here)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by RNV View Post
    Too late for them, the Roman Confederation controlled almost all of Italy by the time of the first punic war in one way or another, and the italics fought in the same way as the romans.

All of them are still possible for Pyrrhic Wars and many were still able to rise in Hannibal's time. Etruscan city of Volsinii was only finally defeated by Romans in 265/264.

Well may be it will start right before che conquest of Italy by Rome so the Italic (no Italian) people could be in...
    BTW I want to see first 5 people in the pool..

I would like to see at least the Etruscans. I doubt there will be many fations in Italy beside the Romans and Gauls.

Did Pompeii, the city that got buried in lava belong to the Etruscans? I remember seeing a documentary about it, make me very sad to see the people dead like that, especially the children, i know tourists like going there but i think they should be more respectful, i see people running around laughing and treating like a holiday, it's a burial ground, ok an old one and of long ago history, but more respect! Anyway, sorry for off-topic, i chose the Etruscans.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous Smurf View Post
    Did Pompeii, the city that got buried in lava belong to the Etruscans? I remember seeing a documentary about it, make me very sad to see the people dead like that, especially the children, i know tourists like going there but i think they should be more respectful, i see people running around laughing and treating like a holiday, it's a burial ground, ok an old one and of long ago history, but more respect! Anyway, sorry for off-topic, i chose the Etruscans.
    Pompeii was buried by the Vesuvio in 79 A.D. during the reign of Titus. It will not be during the starting moment of Rome II. It wasn't a Roman city initially.

I doubt they will make an appearance as independent factions. However, they might rise up as client states if you free their home region from Roman clutches. Then you could be able to apply the strategy Hannibal wanted to.

The purpose of this would be to establish a secure supply depot and to receive some fresh recruits or hire ships and provide a safe harbor for reinforcements from Carthage. Yet they might not be interested in fighting anyways. Either way at least you are depriving the Romans of income via taxes, potential manpower and you are making it more likely that others rebel to your side.
    Last edited by spanish_emperor; September 12, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Samnites and Tarentum are probably the only ones that could have complete unit rosters and be fun to pl

If the game begins with the onset of the 1st Punic War in 264 BC then Etruscans shouldn't be a faction as the last remaining town of the Etruscans was finally conquered by the Romans in the same year (I don't know if shortly before or after). The rest of their former territory was occupied by Celtic tribes in the north. And it seems that during the 2nd Punic War they didn't join Hannibal's anti-Roman allies in Italy.

Perhaps including Gallo-Etruscans in the Etruscan faction in the North with some hybrid units and Boii units and more traditional Etruscans in the south?

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well we don't have any start date. Let's hope for 333 BC so we can have an epic showdown between Rome, Carthage, Persia and Macedon. Ok maybe 334 BC would be better for that, but it 333 sounds cool.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast