Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Named Forts

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Named Forts

You will have to give them a named character as general with a trait that immobilizes him.

Civis
    Clarke Institute of Psychiatry (CAMH), Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Salute to the mighty Gigantus from your fan!!
    I have been following your tutorials regarding modding for quite a while. They are amazing!!! I have tried various ways of personal "customization" with regard to many mods. The lates episode of experiments I am going through is to create forts with names following your "named fort" tutorial.
    Then there comes the confusion.
    I followed every step of the manuel the uploaded. When I entered the game, it seemed to have worked - all forts had proper names. Yet a dillemma popped almost immediately: so long as I leave the empty fort alone, everything is fine. Yet whenever I send my army into a fort, it simply shoves the princess out of the fort, creating a bizzare scene of the fort's name appearing in its periphery underneath a random tile (the one the invisible princess is pushed onto.) In view of of the game's standard mechanics, this is hardly surprising - after all, two units (may they be agents or armies) belonging to different factions are not supposed to share the same tile. However, if this hurdle can't be overcome, this enterprise is really going nowhere. I checked through the script of 1648 mod, and was baffled at not being able to observe any special features they employed to keep the princesss undisturbed by armies' movements.
    What's their secret? Could you enlighten me? With due respect, if that trick is not explained, the tutorial is rather incomplete.

Millions of thanks for your help!!!!

Blog Entries

Please note the difference between the initial spawn co-ordinate (on top of the fort) and the move co-ordinate (an off set of 4 tiles). See the "Add the agent into the script" chapter on page three.

Civis

Salute you and thanks for your time!
    However it is still not working due to the very old same problem.
    Here is my current script:

script
    freeze_faction_ai name
    restrict_strat_radar false

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    spawn_character name, Tyre, princess, age 16, x 330, y 88
    spawn_character name, Sidon, princess, age 16, x 331, y 90
    spawn_character name, Jaffa, princess, age 16, x 328, y 81
    spawn_character name, Nablus, princess, age 16, x 332, y 83
    spawn_character name, Mont-Regalis, princess, age 16, x 334, y 74

console_command move_character "Tyre" 330, 84
    console_command move_character "Sidon" 331, 86
    console_command move_character "Jaffa" 328, 77
    console_command move_character "Nablus" 332, 79
    console_command move_character "Mont-Regalis" 334, 70
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionIsLocal
    retire_characters name princess
    end_monitor

Here are the forts I placed on map:

region Acre_Province
    fort 330 84 me_fort_a culture middle_eastern
    fort 331 86 me_fort_b culture middle_eastern

region Jerusalem_Province
    fort 328 77 me_fort_a culture middle_eastern
    fort 332 79 me_fort_b culture middle_eastern

region Kerak_Province
    fort 334 70 me_fort_b culture middle_eastern

You see now the princesses are spawned precisely off-set by four tiles along the Y axis, exactly conforming to the method in 1648 mod (yes, I also have and play that mod whose script coding I had meticulously scrutinized).

The problem remains the same.

As I said in both of my earlier messages, everything appeared absolutely fine in the initial screen after the campaign was loaded. All the names were there as if the operation were a total success. The problem only occurred with I moved armies into the forts (or making the armies occupying them from the beginning leave and re-enter again) - the princesses were pushed out. (Yes!!! That's the SOLE problem, having nothing to do with they not being initially properly positioned !!!) I think the challenge is to keep the princesses stay in the forts all the time regardless of how they change hands. I don't know how this can be done. The natural setting of the game is that when one faction's army moves to the tile where another faction's non-army agent stands, that agent is pushed out of the way. As for the 1648 mod, how does it overcome the natural setting by making it possible for a princess and an army of different factions overlap on the same tile? I could NOT figure out. To be honest, unless and until such an issue is addressed, the tutorial is incomplete.
    I'd be most grateful if master guru like you could show me some clues.
    Thank you very much!!
    Last edited by moralrelativism; May 13, 2014 at 02:44 AM.

Civis

(Thank you for the prive message you sent.)
    I see...
    However, the same-file issue is, with my due respect, NOT what I ask about. If you read my previous messages,you may realize the concern is really about the problem of princesses being shoved out of forts when another faction's armies move in.
    If the campaign map ends up scattered with invisible princesses named after towns but standing outside of forts after being expelled by occupying armies, the game is unplayable and there is no point of even creating a save-file in the first place.

It seems that since 1648 mod had successfuly overcome the issue, there must be a way to make it work? If I may emphasize again, that the most immediate problem is not about spawning but about how to tie the princesses unmovabily to the forts without being pushed out.

I had done everything the tutorial requires (as seen by the script I had sent you), but the princesses are still thrown out of forts whenever the forts come to be occupied. May I ask for a solution to it?

Thanks in utmost abundance!

Blog Entries

The idea of the placement came from experiences I had in RTW - at some point I ended with a general that was in a settlement but whom I couldn't access other then by the list.

In 1648 we changed the approach slightly (after I wrote this tutorial): the vast amount of princesses we had started to bloat the save file with each time they got respawned - in the end the save file became corrupted and it wasn't possible to continue the game, usually from round 120 or so.
    We restricted the spawn to only once at the beginning and then ran a repeating 'move' monitor. That way the characters got moved back in case they got pushed around. Anyone using the assassin exploit to train their agents on these formerly reappearing princesses was a bit disappointed...

Code:

spawn_character    aztecs,    JagdschlossA, princess, age 16, x 424,     y 73
            spawn_character    aztecs,    JagdschlossB, princess, age 16, x 362,     y 499

console_command move_character "JagdschlossA" 424, 73
            console_command move_character "JagdschlossB" 362, 499

terminate_monitor
        end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave

console_command move_character "JagdschlossA" 424, 73
            console_command move_character "JagdschlossB" 362, 499

end_monitor
    The corresponding entries for the forts show that the agent is spawned right on top of it (as opposed to 4 North of it):

Code:
    fort    424 73 knightly_order_fort_b culture northern_european
    fort    362 499 knightly_order_fort_b culture northern_european

Civis

I am sorry but it's not working
    I doing the experiment by trying to add a named fort Jaffa to the region of Jerusalem
    Here is the script: (the faction I used for the princesses is simply called "name")

spawn_character name, Jaffa, princess, age 16, x 328, y 77
    console_command move_character "Jaffa" 328 , 77

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

end_monitor

It is of no use in terms of overcoming the eternal problem of princesses being pushed out of forts when other characters/armies moving in. They still get pushed out.

In addition, it occurs to me, in 1648 script only the first 23 princesses (from JagdschlossA to JagdschlossW) are spawned on the same spots they are moved to (i.e. having the same coordinates in all commands). Beside that, of all the dozens of forts who are not called "Jagdschloss" something, the "four tiles north of it" rule continues to be followed. In other words, most named forts in 1648 do not have princesses spawned right on top of it with the bunch of Jagdschloss being the only exceptions.
    Therefore I also try my experiment in the old way, as seen in the following:

spawn_character name, Jaffa, princess, age 16, x 328, y 81
    console_command move_character "Jaffa" 328, 77
    terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

end_monitor

Unfortunately, this one doesn't work as well.
    The question is, firstly, what's the rationale for the "double standard" (i.e. having the Jagdschloss spawned on top of forts while all the rest north of it)? Secondly, why
    both ways don't work?(Yes, they just DON'T!!)
    I hope there could be a solution to princess being pushed out. Could you enlighten me?
    Sincere gratitude for all your attention and patience!

Blog Entries

There is no way to avoid the princesses being pushed around. That's why they need to be put back on.

Before the current version of 1648 we actually had inaccessible tiles North of the forts where we spawned the princesses to avoid them being pushed around. It did however look awful, especially when you selected a character next them due to the square gap in the green movement field. That may explain why the 'Jagdschloss' batch still spawns
    on that spot instead of on top of the fort.

Having that out of the way here is what happens: principally it is irrelevant where the initial spawn is located, the move_character command instantly moves the character to that co-ordinate (not to confuse with the move command which will have the character do a normal movement).

Thxs for the infos! u have a tutorial on how to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You will have to give them a named character as general with a trait that immobilizes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hander View Post
    You know how to give priority to attack the PST?
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 25, 2015 at 07:59 PM. Reason: multiple posts merged

Blog Entries

Trait - you should find some basic trait tutorials in this workshop.
    Priority - hardly anything is possible script wise with the stone forts. This certainly is not.

i think it possible to create with slave princes....when all fractions in use....so make a script when ani fraction own fort -to kill old princes and create new for that fraction who own the fort with the same name ...and all princes will have imoveble trait ...what u think?
    Trait Immovable
    Characters family

Level Immovable
    Description Immovable_desc
    EffectsDescription Immovable_effects_desc
    Threshold 1

Effect MovementPoints -50

Trait Untouchable
    Characters family

Level Untouchable
    Description Untouchable_desc
    EffectsDescription Untouchable_effects_desc
    Threshold 1

Effect BribeResistance 100
    Last edited by raubak; June 22, 2015 at 07:59 PM.

yeah it will be wayyyy long script, for any named fort ...but it possible ...and all fractoins in use \ and yes i forgot about age all princes gonna die ...but we can make infinyty age by trait ...
    Last edited by raubak; June 23, 2015 at 05:19 PM.

;------------------- named forts -------------------;

spawn_character slave, Dita, princess, age 60, x 199, y 152

console_command move_character "Dita" 199, 155

end_monitor
    so i tested it only possible with that script princess die any turn but any next she come on top ...and we will have nemed forts any second turn ...so that only how it possible with slave ...and all fractions in use ....

Blog Entries

Respawning princesses every turn proved to be fatal in the long run - the save game file gets larger with every turn until it gets corrupted and the campaign is irretrievably lost. Happened in the 1648 mod.

The initial spawn of characters should be a terminated spawn (non repeating):
    Code:
        spawn_character slave, Dita, princess, age 60, x 199, y 152, label Dita1
        console_command move_character "Dita1" 199, 155
        terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

You then have to test if the character still exists and then spawn it, use labels to avoid errors:
    Code:
    ; --- checking for existence at the end of the round
    monitor_events FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave     
        if not I_CharacterExists Dita1
            spawn_character slave, Dita, princess, age 60, x 199, y 152, label Dita1
            console_command move_character "Dita1" 199, 155
        end_if
    end_monitor

How many princesses u use to be fatal in the long run? i gonna test it...i simly doesn't see a problem with save game with a lot of daiyng carecters like 50?
    Yep princesses respawning every turn...cose age 60...if i put 16 so they run a way ,even traits Immovable Untouchable i give them work only after turn,so they alwaus run away...
    Last edited by raubak; June 25, 2015 at 09:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Well, the original idea is based on using a faction where you freeze the AI - meaning nothing will happen with that faction. Giving the princesses a trait with negative movement points helps to a certain extent, but as you noticed they still move. But they shouldn't move more then one tile per round.

In 1648 we respawned about 200 princesses every round and the save game became corrupted by about turn 60.

Did you write a trigger for the immovable trait?

Trigger FreezingPrincessesSlaves
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart
    Condition FactionType slave
    and AgentType = princess
    Affects Immovable 1 Chance 100
    Affects Untouchable 1 Chance 100

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You then have to test if the character still exists and then spawn it, use labels to avoid errors:
    Does this work? I thought labels didn't work with spawn_character, only spawn_army.

Blog Entries

Ah yes, I stand corrected.

n 1648 we respawned about 200 princesses every round and the save game became corrupted by about turn 60.

Did you write a trigger for the immovable trait?

Trigger FreezingPrincessesSlaves
    Condition FactionType slave
    and AgentType = princess
    i had that trigger

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger fort_immovable_agent

Condition CharFactionType slave
    and AgentType = princess

and princess got the traits right a way but still have possibility to move after respawn...so i will taste it today but i totally know nothing gonna happen with slave fraction save game , one thing they don't have a family tree and it nothing to save about ))) ...and if tast will be positive my way gonna be easiest....i gonna respawned about 50 princesses every round 240 terns
    Last edited by raubak; June 29, 2015 at 04:04 PM.

Here we go .... how i say before there no problem with save game....

but i had thise some how that happens but i think it not a 100% it a not often comming bug

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast