Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Submod Campaign

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Submod Campaign

I like those ideas quite a bit. Some are already implemented (religion system, for example). Some seem like they wouldn't be possible on the engine, but most seem plausible and I can look into possibly doing them. However, until I have a modeller and skinner I have to use what I have, which means Renaissance musketeers for non-American factions.

Domesticus

I dunno about tying it to a building, but I think the "permanate alliance" thing can be done, its done in Rome Total War with the Roman factions, and in Call of Warhammer with the Empire, and in Das Heileg Romanisch Reich for the Holy Roman Empire

Basically America would be four or five factions, the CSA, USA, Western States, Texas, and North Carolina

Probably just the first four though, NC was unique for not being able to decide, but also, North Carolina kinda sucks. >_> I live there, I can insult it

Maybe you could learn to texture and model? I have no experiance in it, but I imagine with 1800s type soldiers, it cant be too super hard. Everyone uses the same animations, and in fact, might could ask other mods to help out. I think only Mexico would need fully new made units. Maybe Spain

Did the French still have land in North America? Guess they could go in if they just had an island though, since point would be to add in moar stuff, make alternative history

Thats another example...if the CSA goes anti-slavery, they recieve European support, and get new units(that'd have to be modeled and skinned probably )

The permanent alliance can be done, but AFAIK it can't be broken without scripting, which I don't want to do. Additionally, there's no real advantage to having the Western states, Texas, and North Carolina independent. I don't really think it would add to the game any. Next, modeling takes a $10 program I don't have and months of practice, while skinning takes GIMP (which I have but don't know how to use) and its own months of practice. The best I could do would be MAYBE to recolor some Union units, but they wouldn't be much good and would be inaccurate (ie Mexicans were totally different and French had special hats). Regardless, not important for this release. Finally, I want to include France as they were at war in Mexico (look up Cinco de Mayo), but I really would rather not add any special effects based on slavery, partially because I doubt I could do so without ticking off one side or the other on its importance.

Domesticus

Ah ok Hopefully once this is released, there will be more interest. Have you tried contacting any modders doing more modern mods? They might could help out. I cant really think of any that got very far though

And true, dont wanna be too controversial. That'd be a nice dose of alternative history though

Ah, thats right about the French. I had my times confused, I thought that was like the 1880s or something. 1800s arent my strong suit in history.

Napoleon Bonaparte led the Light Brigade against the Zulu while blasting some Iron Maiden, right?

I don't think there are any that got off the ground, really.

Yeah, but personally I don't think it was about slavery, many think it was, etc. I'd rather not get into that crap in the mod, though I might fiddle with some ideas.

No problem.

No, that was Pancho Villa. Napoleon led the Rough Riders up Seminary Ridge blasting "Eye of the Tiger", before being beaten back by Karl Marx's Brownshirt rebels.

Domesticus

Has anyone done the map_region?

Some news about the campaign?

Map is done in terms of a basic regional map and the physical stuff. Need to work on the buildings and such and actually assign buildings to the settlements. Will then probably upload and in a later version add more towns within the states.

Domesticus

Hey, I just had a great idea for Mexican, Canadian, French, and maybe Spanish units...

How different is Medieval 2 from Empire in terms of modelling and units? There might be some units you can use from Empire mods or can get an Empire modder to make for you

I know Empire is half ass impossible to mod, but im pretty sure theres been retextures and new models.

And how many units would each faction have anyway? Like, how many units does the USA and CSA have in this one? So might not be too big a deal for someone to make some up, if they arent already existing, because modifications of their own work, or wouldnt be too much trouble to make while making something else

To be honest, I don't know. I once asked this question of a M2 modder, and my post was deleted rather than answered. Odd, I know, but perhaps it is illegal and he was protecting himself from scrutiny. No idea.

Domesticus

Thats strange o_O Cant really see them cracking down on using models between mods. Seems like alot of Rome TW mod stuff get made into Medieval 2 mod stuff

Maybe PM a modder about it and find out the rules? Maybe your question was deleted because that forum's moderator didnt allow that or something

It's odd, but I can ask again. There are some nice NTW and one good ETW model I'd like to use.

You know, this may sound crazy but if you add Canada you could even give Alaska to Russia (since the US didn't buy it from them until 1867). You could do a what-if if Russia refused to sell Alaska. That might be interesting...
    Tegyvuoja Lietuva!

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you..."

Unfortunately, my mapping skills are nil, and the map I'm using does not go very far north of Maine.

Oh well, still a cool idea eh? Maybe the Russians could invade from the northwest as a scripted event! Either way, looking forward to this!
    Tegyvuoja Lietuva!

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you..."

Would be very interesting, but I'd need to learn to script it. Though if I knew how I would gladly add it as an option at campaign's start. They'll still all be using Cossack Musketeers though.

Protestant Knight's Avatar Centenarius

I'm glad to see someone is still working on this mod it would be nice if the map went north more but its no big deal it would just be nice to see a campaign done for it oh and if Russia had come into the war it would have been on the Norths side do to the fact that Russia was still pissed off at Britain and France for the hole crimean war thing thats if Britain and France came in on the side of the CSA, Russia actually wintered there atlantic fleet in New York harbor in 1861/1862 as a show of suport for the USA just in case Britain and France joined the CSA sorry for the random rant

That's fascinating, didn't know that. Cool. Might in a later version start adding scripts, that could be one.

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Pentecostal Knight View Post
    I'm glad to see someone is still working on this mod it would be nice if the map went north more but its no big deal it would just be nice to see a campaign done for it oh and if Russia had come into the war it would have been on the Norths side do to the fact that Russia was still pissed off at Britain and France for the hole crimean war thing thats if Britain and France came in on the side of the CSA, Russia actually wintered there atlantic fleet in New York harbor in 1861/1862 as a show of suport for the USA just in case Britain and France joined the CSA sorry for the random rant
    i read in a random fact book that the russian presence in america during the civil war was one of the reasons they had to sell alaska.
    epic fail!
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

Yeah, I'd say so.

And then it was called Seward's Folly until they found gold and oil...

Domesticus

Did you get any information on if you can use ETW mod skins and models?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast