Thread: rebel CTD bug fix

Tiro

Icon7 rebel CTD bug fix

After reading the July 14, 2009 and September 24, 2009 posts by Hayami Kagemusha, I tried to edit the descr_model_battle.txt file myself.

It may not be perfect but it works (for me).

Tiro

Default Re: rebel CTD bug fix

When you attack the Takeda in the Kai mountains, you may get a CTD if you attack them twice from the front. If you attack them the second time - i.e. after their retreat - from (the left or) the right, you will have an uphill fight.

Tiro

When I siege Takamatsu (containing the Takeda faction leader, the Takeda faction heir and three other units) and I add an extra unit before attacking, there is a CTD. When I do not add an extra unit, there is no CTD. Nota bene after the siege the only other Takeda town (Koriyama) rebelled.

Minor issues:
    - There is a Roman general in the rebel city of Tajima.
    - In the Yokohama region two Ashigaru no Teppo units appear almost ten years before 1543 AD (the first Portuguese arquebuses in Japan).

Tiro

I besieged Iwami and Gassan Toda, the two remaining Mori towns, at the same time. After ending the turn, the siege of Gassan Toda was broken by two consecutive attacks from Mori armies. After winning both battles, I wanted to assault Iwami and a CTD happened. I reloaded my save game and my army near Gassan Toda received a four star general. There was no CTD when I attacked Iwami that time.

When I wanted to assault Gassan Toda in the next turn, I wanted to add an extra unit and a CTD happened (again). Like the first time it was winter and the town contained the faction leader. I reloaded the game, assaulted without adding the extra unit and did not face a CTD.

Minor issues:
    - A rebel army near Tajima was lead by a Roman general (again).
    - I noticed it before, but there are two towns called Kiyosu (an Oda and a rebel one).
    - All rebel armies I have met, used my rebel bug fix, except the first ashigaru to yari unit (near my capital, before I even created the fix) and one samurai to katana unit (and the other unit that fought with it).

Tiro

Minor issues:
    - When I attacked the rebelled town of Koriyama - it used to be a Takeda town -, I met a Roman general (again) and a strange standard bearer. His banner was grey-brown with a green octogram en three green waves in the middle.
    - As I noticed before, there are some Tokugawa units available in the descr_model_battle file. I found an ashigaru to yari, a samurai to yari, a kihei to yari, a kihei to tachi and a yumi nu sashu. I do not know if there is a link with the previous issue.

Tiro

When I wanted to attack Nagato (Shimazu territory), I got a CTD. After reloading the game, there was no problem anymore. There was no general is this town, so that will not be the cause of the CTD.

Minor issues:
    - A province border is missing on the battle map between Nagato and Moji.
    - Capturing the rebel town of Toyama, I noticed the green wave symbol once more. There were two Roman generals in this town.

Tiro

Recently I encountered several unusual CTD's (or just the opposite).

I added two armies to the siege of Kozuke and no CTD happened.

After a field battle near Kaizu, I merged my remaining soldiers and wanted to attack the city of Kaizu itself. After an unexpected CTD, I restarted the game and now the CTD happened when the battle was already de facto decided.

I did not want to retry again, so I attacked the rebel town of Noto where I met that green wave symbol again.

Then I attacked the rebel town of Kiyosu (not the Oda one!) and a CTD happened.

Because of that I retried to conquer Kaizu. This time no CTD happened.

Finally I conquered the rebel town of Kiyosu in a lagging game. I had to outsoom when my troops where sliced by the warrior monks. My troops had serious troubles to attack those warrior monks, because it was not always possible to right click them.

Tiro

I was not able to attack a rebel army in the mountains near Toyama without first going to the north and then going back to the south.

A little later I attacked two Shimazu armies near Chikugo (on the strategy map). The Shimazu armies fled the battle field even before one arrow was shot (on the battle map) and escaped to Funai (on the strategy map). I have seen fleeing units or even a reinforcement army from the battle field when things are turning wrong, but not before an accepted battle.

After that I attacked a rebel army near Nagano (just one unit) and something really weird happened. Only one of each of my Ashigaru to Yari units wanted to attack the rebel Yumi nu Sachu unit. Most of all units of both armies seemed to be dancing (or waiting their turn to attack).

Minor issues:
    - I spotted two Ashigaru no Teppo in the rebbelled town of Shimotsuke (former Hojo town) in 1542 AD.
    - I guess there are plusminus ten rebel ships on the strategy map and they do nothing at all.

Tiro

I am near the end of my Oda campaign. Only one Uesugi town and the four rebel towns on the rebel island remain. Almost every turn a CTD happens. The first was at the conquest of Obi (Shimazu), the second at the conquest of Yamagata (Uesugi) and the third before a field battle against a rebel army near Iyo (rebel). After a restart everything worked again.

Tiro

I finished my Oda campaign this week. A few more CTD's happened. There was one before the conquest of Morioka (the last Uesugi town) and one before the fall of Sanuki (the next-to-last rebel town). The game just needed a restart.

After the destruction of the Uesugi clan I received twice the victory chart. After the fall of Awa (the last rebel town) I got it only once, like it should.

I would like to give a short opinion on this mod:

+ I never played the original Shogun Total War, but BOA seems to be more than just a remake.
    + BOA uses the RTW engine for a totally different era. It is not the number # Rome clone. It goes even further than ROP.
    + Although BOA is not as historical as EB, you still learn something about Japan’s history.
    + There are not that many annoying rebel armies or port blockades.
    + As far as I can remember BOA is the only mod I finished by conquering all provinces.

- BOA's weakest point is without any doubt the CTD problem (see all previous remarks).
    - The rebel faction was not fully created when making the campaign (see my first post for a fix).
    - The Tokugawa clan was not worked out and is not playable (see my fifth post). Other clans were not even considered (e.g. Date, Chosokabe). But to be honest they were also not a part of the original Shogun Total War.
    - Unlike the islands of Honshu, Shikoku en Kyushu, the island of Hokkaido is missing. But this was also the case in the original Shogun Total War.
    - BOA’s towns have buildings that look smaller than the occupied place (e.g. the Governor’s Palace). It causes archers to shoot against invisible walls and makes clicking units more difficult. Once I found a non-paved way between two buildings.
    - Some unit cards are missing (e.g. ships, rebel units).
    - Some cards are still in Russian (e.g. the DaymioPalace).
    - BOA still uses parts of RTW (e.g. the rebel general, Greek inventions, destroyed factions).
    - The new custom battle maps have wrong coordinates causing units to die in an open sea.

The amount of + and – symbols has no meaning as such.

Tiro

You can also try Ran No Jidai. That mod also works with RTW 1.5 if you use my unofficial patches.
    Proud winner of the first XCmas contest of the Extended Cultures mod (XC)
    “War does not determine who is right - only who is left.” – Bertrand Russell
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke
    “Where they burn books, they will ultimately burn people also.” – Heinrich Heine
    "You know you're a history fan when you still get upset thinking about the Library of Alexandria." – unknown