Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Give Unique Generals Unique Voices?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: Give Unique Generals Unique Voices?

Did you rebuild the sound .idx and .dat files including the events ones?

P.S. sorry for the thread necro.
    In the Workshop that's fine. Preferable to a new thread on exactly the same subject.

We're at peace with the undead here.
    Last edited by Withwnar; May 10, 2019 at 04:36 AM.

I have rebuilt events, SFX, and Voice .idx and .dat several times to no avail. The only one I'm not rebuilding is Music (is it possible this is required for the accent change?). There seem to be several problems occurring at once. First, my changes to export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice have no effect - generals continue to reply with the accent/type/vocal Selected from the original accent which has been deleted from the new accent. Do I also need to delete vocal Select_Ally, vocal Select_Neutral, etc.?

Second, my new events in descr_sounds_generic refuse to play. When I use random events from that file in my script, they work. I will hear my general give his usual reply and the new event audio will be played on top of this. I have picked events that use the exact same .mp3 files as in my Aerenia test event and yet when I specify my test event in the script, nothing plays. This indicates that there is something wrong with my code in descr_sounds_generic.

Third, when I specify my new .mp3 files in my new events in descr_sounds_generic, it kills the campaign script with the aforementioned log error and usually a CTD when quitting the campaign.

I suspect problems 2 and 3 are connected. Do I need to list my new events in an enum file somewhere? Events in descr_sounds_generic aren't listed in descr_event_enums.

The only one I'm not rebuilding is Music (is it possible this is required for the accent change?)
    I doubt it.

Do I need to list my new events in an enum file somewhere?
    No.

First, my changes to export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice have no effect - generals continue to reply with the accent/type/vocal Selected from the original accent which has been deleted from the new accent. Do I also need to delete vocal Select_Ally, vocal Select_Neutral, etc.?
    No. How have you deleted exactly? Our mod is using this technique and to remove the strat map "selected" voice for the "General" type we're doing this...

Code:
                      type General

vocal Selected
                                        event
                                                 folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Camp_Map
                                        end
    So the event is still there but no mp3/wav files defined within it.

Third, when I specify my new .mp3 files in my new events in descr_sounds_generic, it kills the campaign script with the aforementioned log error and usually a CTD when quitting the campaign.
    When you had "dong.mp3" in your event in the generic file, did it play?

I would take out the "tag" stuff in the script for now, just to rule that out as the cause. It's probably not but I'm not certain because I don't use it.

Code:
    declare_counter custom_char_voice_played

monitor_event CharacterSelected TrueCondition
            if I_SoundPlaying Aerenia_Tag
                stop_sound_event Aerenia_Tag
            end_if
            if I_SoundPlaying Turks_Generic_General_Tag
                stop_sound_event Turks_Generic_General_Tag
            end_if
        end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterSelected FactionType turks
        and IsGeneral
            set_counter custom_char_voice_played 0
            if I_CharacterSelected aerenia_1
                play_sound_event AERENIA_SELECTED tag = Aerenia_Tag
                set_counter custom_char_voice_played 1
            end_if
            if I_CompareCounter custom_char_voice_played == 0
                play_sound_event TURKS_GENERIC_GENERAL_SELECTED tag = Turks_Generic_General_Tag
            end_if
        end_monitor
    In fact, I would start off with just this...

Code:
        monitor_event CharacterSelected 
                play_sound_event AERENIA_SELECTED
        end_monitor
    If the export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice General > Selected is set up like I described, and you have "dong.mp3" in generic (and dats/idxs rebuilt), then all you should hear when selecting a general (not a captain!) is the dong. If not then tell us what does happen.

Also, later when this all does work, don't use IsGeneral in your script. That also includes captains. Captains are the "Army" type in export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice. Your intention here is only for Generals (named characters). Use this instead: and AgentType = named_character

I have set up the general selection in export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice exactly as you suggested. I've also used your exact script. In descr_sounds_generic I have:

Code:
    event AERENIA_SELECTED streamed
        folder data/sounds/SFX/interface/frontend
        dong.mp3
    end
    I then rebuilt all audio idx and dat packs to be sure.

The result: all characters selected outside of residencies (settlement, fort, etc.) play the new dong.mp3 audio and also their original English accent responses. All characters selected inside residencies play their original English accent responses. I.e., same as my previous results.

I don't know how it's possible that they are still giving their English accent responses when I have assigned this faction to a new accent and removed the mp3 references for Selected in export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice.

Ah... I looked at our file to see which ones had the mp3/wav files removed for General. Also these:

Movement_Ordered_Illegal_Move
    Movement_Ordered_Illegal_Move_Chivalry
    Selected_Dread
    Selected_Chivalry

I reckon those last two are your problem. Not sure why the Movement_Ordered_Illegal_Move ones were done, nor why the Dread one wasn't also done. I didn't do this file myself.

All characters selected inside residencies play their original English accent responses
    Yes, script's CharacterSelected event only applies to outside characters, or if they're selected from the Character List scroll. Pretty sure that was mentioned in this thread somewhere.

As for why your custom sound file doesn't play when the dong one seems to be working fine, I don't know. If its folder is correct.

I'm happy to report that after fixing all my silly typos, everything works perfectly now. I have taken your advice and used AgentType = named character. Now that that's working, I have only one question left.

Is it possible to use other script events like GeneralCapturesSettlement, GeneralCapturesResidence, GeneralAssaultsResidence, GeneralAssaultsGeneral, etc. in addition to CharacterSelected? Furthermore, how would I find which audio events in export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice (or elsewhere?) correspond to these script events in the way that "CharacterSelected" in CS/EDCT/EDA/etc. corresponds to "Selected" in export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice?

It seems to me that there are significantly more audio events than script events. However, there are script events for Allied/EnemyCharacterSelected which may even be exploitable with this script.

EnemyCharacterSelected: see the post above your first one. It doesn't work.

I don't know if/what correspondence exists between those other events and sound events. Settlement_Capture_Celebration ones look promising.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123