Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Give Unique Generals Unique Voices?

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Default Give Unique Generals Unique Voices?

Okay, so say I have a general called ... Bob.

Can Bob speak with a different voice than [Generic General from Same Faction].

IE. Can I select him and his words be entirely different from any other general's?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Give Unique Generals Unique Voices?

Yes, you can make any unit speak differently on the battle map.
    Either just when you select Bob ["Unit Selection Voice"] or every phrase Bob say ["Create uniqe unit battle voice"].
    Bob simply has to have a uniqe BG to get a personal selection voice; or to attach the accent to, if you go for the later method.

Here's my manual on the matter: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=499907
    Last edited by Ngugi; September 04, 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Thanks, but not on the campaign map?

Afraid not, least not in my experience; one accent for one faction.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Alas http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Ah well, can do it for battle at least which will be great, thank you

Can tell it's pretty awesome even if "only" battle map

Just wave if there's any problems or Q's

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Actually you can give every character a different sound as long as you can identify his selection via a name utilising the following commands:

Identifier: play_sound_event
    Parameters: <event id> [<index>] [tag = <something>]
    Description: Plays sound event
    Sample use: play_sound_event PREBATTLE_TEST
    Class: PLAY_SOUND_EVENT

Identifier: stop_sound_event
    Parameters: <tag>
    Description: Stops tagged sound events
    Sample use: stop_sound_event PREBATTLE_TEST
    Class: STOP_SOUND_EVENT

f.e.
    Code:
    monitor_event CharacterSelected FactionIsLocal
    and IsGeneral
    if I_CharacterSeltected Gaius Iulius
    play_sound_event name_of_your_sound_event.mp3
    wait 10 ;exact time the selection sound needs to be played in order to prevent repetition.
    stop_sound_event name_of_your_sound_event.mp3
    end_if
    end_monitor
    Repeat the if clause for every General you want to have a unique selection sound.
    Last edited by Aikanár; September 05, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Thanks, I'll give it a try

Blog Entries

Don't forget that you've to store the sounds in the correct folder and you've to edit the descr_sound_events.txt file and you've to rebuild the event.idx and .dat in order to make this work

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Aye yes, a bloody nightmare too...

Blog Entries

Indeed! but all in all you can pretty much play every sound you want combined with every event possible. Those commands are pretty mighty since you can literally play anything anytime, as long as you can specify it via script.

Would so many scripts not slow down the game, or are they just monitor scripts which slow it down?

And by any chance, rather than specifying an individual track, could you specify an accent? (ie, could i make an accent for a single character and call that when he speaks?)

Interesting, most interesting! Thanks Aik' [edit: considering I know how event sound works I should figured you can do like this hehe]

How does this work if a unit come along later with the same name? Least during the same time as original Gaius Iulius lives (not common but a risk): we'll get two who say it?
    And the guy will say both the normal and the uniqe voice lines using this [or the later "over/drowning" the former]?
    Last edited by Ngugi; September 05, 2012 at 04:07 PM.

Blog Entries

You can specify as many conditions as you can think of, including event_counters and counters and whatnot. Of course the sound will always be played when all conditions are met. Thus chose whisely

But you could go as far as to specifiy a counter of how many characters were named the same and thus exculding say Gaius Iulius the third form that sound.

@slowing down the game.
    That highly depends on what you monitor. If you monitor an event and not a condition it will not slow your game down. At least not if it's run on a system which was state of the art in 2008 or in other words, as long as you stick to monitor_events and the local faction only (no sense in playing sounds for the AI ), you will not experience a slowdown on a relative recent system.

That being said, due to the "wait" command and the play_sound_event command it's possible that you "think" you might experience a slowdown, which is actually only the executed wait command.

Edit:
    @Ngugi:
    You can always assign no selection sound to generals in order to prevent double play. Or just use stop_sound_event general_of_the_faction_selection_sound.mp3 first to silence this sound event<--- most probably the most convinient way to do it.
    f.e.
    monitor_event CharacterSelected FactionIsLocal
    and IsGeneral
    if I_CharacterSeltected Gaius Iulius
    stop_sound_event faction_general_selection_sound.mp3
    play_sound_event name_of_your_sound_event.mp3
    wait 10 ;exact time the selection sound needs to be played in order to prevent repetition.
    stop_sound_event name_of_your_sound_event.mp3
    end_if
    end_monitor
    Last edited by Aikanár; September 05, 2012 at 04:18 PM.

Great

Smooth!

Please report back on your experiences Inarus

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Don't forget that you've to store the sounds in the correct folder and you've to edit the descr_sound_events.txt file and you've to rebuild the event.idx and .dat in order to make this work
    What exactly do you put in descr_sound_events.txt? It seems to specify actual events, not ones called through script. Do I add a header or...?

Also, there tends to be numerous sounds when a unit/general is selected if I'm not mistaken, therefore would I repeat the line:

stop_sound_event faction_general_selection_sound.mp3

with the red replaced with each possible sound file which would be played?

Sorry, I don't have a clue when it comes to scripts

Blog Entries

I don't have my work at hand right now, thus forgive me if I have expressed myself ambigiously. You can either create new events for each general or create a new accent assigned to no faction. For the purpose at hand It doesn't really matter where you put the reference for your soundfiles, the command will play the file if called correctly as long as it was stored correctly, has it's reference in any given soundfile and the .idx and .dat files got recreated in the right way.

It all depends on what you want to achieve.

Concerning multiple select sounds, yeah of course you either have to disable them all via script or just out comment the corresponding entries in the decr_sounds_stratmap_voice.txt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    You can either create new events for each general or create a new accent assigned to no faction. For the purpose at hand It doesn't really matter where you put the reference for your soundfiles, the command will play the file if called correctly as long as it was stored correctly, has it's reference in any given soundfile and the .idx and .dat files got recreated in the right way.

It all depends on what you want to achieve.
    Sorry, that kinda confused me, so I either create an event or an accent but that is purely to record the sounds in the descr_sounds_... files? So I can use the accent tutorials for that I guess.

My ultimate aim though is part of a mod which has numerous notable characters and I would hope that each of them could speak with their own voice.

So I'll have numerous Generals, and they'll hopefully say as much as is needed to fit the existing events.

Perhaps with that in mind you could recommend the easiest method?

Thanks, I shall credit you both for helping me with this

New accents will "only" be of use to create
    1) factions common voicelines [used by all generals*, all agents, all priests etc] on the strategy map [like all factions sharing the accent East_European in Medival 2: russia, poland, hungary, denmark; their generals and agents speak the same way] and on the battle map.

2) uniqe unit's (like hero's) voicelines on battle map (so that certain units may speak different from the factions other units)

New event sounds will "only" be of use to create
    1) sound effects when certain event occurs

2) uniqe unit's (like hero's) voicelines on strategy map by scripting event sounds when that hero perform an action (like being selected; engage battle; entering a city etc)

To be able to have the heroes [your generals] speak with their own voices on the strat map you have to script event sounds, not make a new accent.
    Will presumably be very cool feat, but might be a very large work (depending on how extensive you intend to be) and could be messy (you're breaking new ground) hehe.

* Well, there's free to make difference between captains, generals, chivaleric generals and dread generals but anyway.
    Last edited by Ngugi; September 06, 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast