Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [PItalica2] Preview : Roman Unit Roster

Icon2 [PItalica2] Preview : Roman Unit Roster

Hi everyone, as you have been able to see, here we have a new preview.

It's been a while (and that's nothing to say) since Paeninsula Italica team didn't made a preview. We have patched the game concerning the 0.96 version, and you have been a lot to give your opinion concerning the mod as it is.

I'm happy to present you the stuff that we did concerning the mod. We decided to progress on the unit. We have worked hard to create models that can be as better as possible. We have also worked on variety, to update the work on the Medieval II engine.

The worked that you can see on this preview is the result of the effort of two of our modellers : PlayerOne and Paleo.
    PlayerOne is almost one of the best modeller i know. He has worked a lot on the current unit, and is the worker on the new roman units.
    Paleo is a great modeller, he joined us not long ago, but he his really helpful, and realize some really nice units as well. He improved his level by each unit, and work really fast.

Concerning this little presentation i will make add a little of myself.
    I'm Skyn0s, 2D artist, i have worked on the UI (i believe that they aren't integrated in the current version of the game). I also work as 2D support concerning the Fan arts, and currently i work on the Menu screen and the Loading screen. I have intented to maintain some activity in this forum, and as well to continue the work of SigniferOne, currently occupied for personnal reason.

I hope that you'll enjoy this little preview.

ROMAN ROSTER

Rorarii/Leves

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Rorarii's Description

This corps of the roman army is a part of the Levis armatura, or light units slightly armed. The Rorarii were put into the thir lines during the battles. Behind the Triarii. Beetween them and the accensi (Liv. VIII, 8 ; Plaut. Fragm. ap Varr. L.L VII, 58) Their work was to be put in front of the ennemy when the time to do it was there. They needed to do attacks so lively as irregular, use their javelins on the column of the opposants, placed into the middle of the first and the second line of the legionnaries. (Liv. VIII, 9). It is possible that this name came from rores, rainly drop, as said the grammarians (Varro, I.c. ; Festus, s.v. ; Non. s.v.); but it doesn't stand out from there at all, as these authors and, in their example, the modern grammarians deduced that this name was given to these troops because they began their action with a rain of javelins, an analogy of the drops which preceded a thunderstorm. Because it was the uses of the ferentarii, who, in this goal were placed on the wings during the deployment. Whereas the rearguard post wich occupied the rorarii would hardly have lent itself to such a functions ; rores, it is as well the rainly drops wich fall while before a thunderstorm. This post who was assigned by Tite-Live, just front of the accensi who was the last into the army is a proof of their difference, as the Ferentarii, and that they formed a troop specific, who according to their equipment were placed beetween those two corps quoted above.
    Rorarii's Description

Hastati

Hastati's Description

In general, all who are armed with a spear ; but in a more specific sense, the hastati were a unit who as a heavy equipment, beeing the first of the three classes in wich the legio was divided. They were the younger men, and their position in the order of the battle was on the first line, at least until the end of the Republic, where it was used to subdivided the army in cohorte, and where, consequently the distinctions beetween hastati, principes, and triarii where more or less abandoned. But their weapons and their armor were almost the same. Polybe was the most important source conserning their description. Helmet as the Montefortino type, shield known as a scutum, lorica hamata for the armor(or chainmail), and a sword known as a gladius, or gladius hispanensis. Their name was probably a reference of the weapon that they used at their originins, the Hasta, a long a pointed spear.
    Hastati's Description

Principes

Princeps' Description

Corps of infantry who were well armed. They formed the second rank of the three corps incorporated into the army on the deployment of the battlefield. We supposed, according to their name, that in the origins of Roma, the principes were in the order of battle the first line's soliders. But after some time the organisation of the legion provided them a different fonction, and they occupied rapidly the second line. Beetween Hastati and Triarii, and they continue to occupied this position until the end of the Republic. Their equipment were quite the same as the Hastati, but they were composed of veteran who have accomplished one or two campaigns.
    Princeps' Description

Triarii

Triarii's Description

They were the elite of the legio. Their first name was pilani, because of their heavy javelin, the pilum. But when that weapon was given to the two other lines, hastati and principes, the army changed their ancient name for the Triarii one. The reason of that changed was of their position they occupied in the battlefield (the third), given by Titus Livus, or because this corp was composed of the men who were taken from the three classes of the roman population who supply by the heaviest man, who succeeded on a few campaingns, reason given by Niebuhr. Their armor was more axed on a defensive way, composed by a bronze helmet in a corinthian type with a high crest, with a cuirass, a large shield in the ancient hoplite stuff, and a short sword.
    Triarii's Description

Equites

Equites' Description
    Knights, member of a corps who was established in the origin of the city, as a supposition, by Romulus himself, and composed by three hundred men, choose beetween the patricians families who served at horses. Those horses was in charged of the state in purpose to bodyguard of the king. Their number were considerably increased during the different eras of the Republic, and later, the property in place of the nobility was the essential condition to be put into this corps. At the end they composed this cavalry of the ancient roman armies composed a separated order in the state, distinguished of the senators, by the badge of the clavus angustus, and the people by the gold ring that the knights wear on their finger.

Equites Custodes

Equites Custodes' Description

The Equites Custodes were the cavalry of the general. A corps who were attached to the principal officers of the legio. They were members of the Equites, but as veterans they occupied the functions of guards. On the battlefield they used to be constantly with the main officer.
    Equites Custodes' Description

P.S : The work presented above still a Work In Progress, is you have suggestions, ideas or want to help, please contact us.

BONUS
    (Greek Peltast)

(Greek Helmet)

UNIT MAKERS

3D modelling : PlayerOne / Paleo
    2D Texturer : PlayerOne
    Researcher :PlayerOne / Skyn0s

TEAM MEMBER

The list of the member currently active is :

PlayerOne- 3D/2D maker

alhoon- Scripter / IA worker / Beta Tester

Hero Of the West- Scripter / 2D maker

Skyn0s- 3D/2D maker

Huene - Modeller / Skinner

KEA - Scripter

Garve - Sound creator

Luciano B - Historian Researcher / Map creator

Paleo - 3D/2D maker

Be sure to give some reputation points, and credits for the work put into this mod on the members of the team listed above

-----> RECRUITMENT <-----

As you probably know, a lot of team modder need new talented people for their own worked. As a Paeninsula Italica II member, you'll be helpful if you know those great things :

Modelling
    Scripting
    2D creations
    Communication (Video Creations / Banners / Previews)
    Historical research
    Beta Testing

If one of the listed skills above his yours, don't hesitate to contact us as we will be happy to give you the informations for join us.

CURRENT WORK

As you, we have a Real Life, but we like to put into this mod, and the modding time in a large way, a lot of effort.
    We try to think of the different aspects of the game who can be change, modifying and transformed to give you the most pleasant and playable mod as possible.

We have work already on different part as the Map, the Factions, their system and their History. As you have been able to see, the members have made a great job, and the Beta work so far without a lot of bug and boring part of the game, except maybe some animations who are difficult to change, according to the limitations of the Engine, and the Hardcoded part.

The following theme are the Works in progress of the team, if you have opinions and ideas, don't hesitate to contact us, create a thread or a topic on the subject of your choice, we will be happy to discuss with you about it, and make a debate on the positive points of your ideas. Or complete our or yours knowledges on the subject concerned.

KEA works on Ancillaries, and Scripts to modify the structure of some faction and made them more unique, more attractive, more balance and specific. He will also create some event, as the player will be able to play all faction with a different way to play it.

PlayerOne works on the modification of units. New models, new texture, a huge improvement compare to the base of the units.

Paleo works on new models too. New models, new texture.

Skyn0s works on the Historical parts of the game, and the 2D part as User Interface, Menu Screen, Loading Screen, and other stuff of this type.

Thanks to the all team for the works, and see you for the next preview.

Last edited by Skyn0s; September 09, 2012 at 02:22 AM.
    EBII fan appeal: The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] is in dire need of YOUR HELP RIGHT NOW! - Dear modders, please get in touch HERE!

Default Re: [PItalica2] Preview : Roman Unit Roster

Great progress, guys !
    (+rep.)

And please, post this preview on the http://www.twcenter.net/moddingnews.php newspage, because an ancient timeframe for
    M2TW is still unique and the attention will surely get you some (mod)helping hands I reckon !

Thank you Celtoi, and we will try to post it on the newspage
    EBII fan appeal: The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] is in dire need of YOUR HELP RIGHT NOW! - Dear modders, please get in touch HERE!

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

good news, in the meantime i play the rtw version of pi.

Damn good work, team!
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Lovely stuff +rep

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Great work!!

Senator

Nice to see progress !

OMG this is extremely epic job the preview was Lovely really nice guys

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

Fantastic work.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Love the Equites (and that Greek helmet preview looks like it will be brilliant). But your bronze breastplates on the hastati and principes are a touch too small for the size of your men. I've seen them in museums, on frescos, and mosiacs, etc. Yes they were small compared to a full bronze cuirass, but not that small.

Remember, when you look at them in museums, and think of the size -- people were MUCH smaller in Italy in the 3rd century BC.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

they look fine. i doubt their bronze cuirass was a one size fits all scenario as the republic relied on its men to buy their own equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Love the Equites (and that Greek helmet preview looks like it will be brilliant). But your bronze breastplates on the hastati and principes are a touch too small for the size of your men. I've seen them in museums, on frescos, and mosiacs, etc. Yes they were small compared to a full bronze cuirass, but not that small.

Remember, when you look at them in museums, and think of the size -- people were MUCH smaller in Italy in the 3rd century BC.
    Hi Dago,

You're probably right concerning the size of our pectoral breastplates. They need to be bigger to fit with the size of the unit.

Concerning the general size of the people, i disagree, they were not that smaller compare to us. Maybe some soldier because the weight of the armor during their whole life.

Anyway, thank you guys for your appreciations.

Cheers,

Skyn0s

great preview!great roman units!

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Great preview guys, continue the good work. As a fan of PI II, all the best.

Cheers.

You're alive!!

Great news -- love PI II, and I hope to see it completed. Great work, and good luck getting from here to the finished product.
    Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
    An open mouth often catches a closed fist!

Black_Nebula's Avatar Tiro

Great to see some progress on this mod, I liked the .96 version pretty well.
    "I find your lack of faith...disturbing" -DV

debux's Avatar Senator

Great stuffs! They look beautiful!
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

These units are great, will the legionaires have square sheilds?
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Great preview!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast