Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Version 2 of the Medieval Total War 2 Settlements & Siege Guide has been completed!

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Version 2 of the Medieval Total War 2 Settlements & Siege Guide has been completed!

Well done.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Default Re: Version 2 of the Medieval Total War 2 Settlements & Siege Guide has been completed!

good guide

I'll definitely be checking this out. 43 pages is a lot of work and I'll give rep just for the effort.

Update: I've read about a 1/3 of it so far. Well done. One comment I'd like to make is about how you like to mark the best locations to siege in relation to the quickest route to the capture point inside. It's a great idea, especially when you only have rams/ladders, but I have found sieging from those locations dangerous if I'm only using prebuilt siege weapons (ie catapults, trebuchets, cannons etc) as a blitz siege (ie you don't build up rams, ladders, or siege towers). Blitzkreig style sieges, I've found, are fantastic if you're crusading and want to take multiple cities/castles en route (something that was very common to do during the first and second crusades).

Why are they dangerous? 90% of the time you have to send in your ranged siege weapons to take down the 2nd or 3rd walls (if a fortress/citadel) and for these times, it's actually MUCH safer to attack from the point the farthest away from the inner walls. Why? You can better support your ranged siege with troops, they're out of range of the interal towers, and they tend to be able to get better, clearer shots of the inner walls. If you take the short route, on the other hand, with ranged siege weapons, the AI is smart enough sometimes to sally and kill them, they get shot to death by enemy archers, or can be destroyed entirely by enemy ballista towers.

Just some food for thought. What you have written and drawn is still very good, these are just some ideas that could be added for different situations.

Learned new useful tactics too!:
    1. Note that delaying the start of battle reduces your deployment area, and bad weather reduces troop morale.
    2. Although sea battles are automatically worked out, you can improve the odds. Firstly, if you have more than one fleet, don’t combine them. You will get better results if you use several fleets to attack the enemy fleet from as many directions as possible.
    3. Once the attackers are down you can use their ladders to get your infantry outside the walls (during a siege) and flank the enemy, or kill routing troops
    4. I had never heard of "refusing the flank" tactic. *Gasp* Almost embarrassed to admit that. Really neat tactic though.
    Last edited by Vampiresbane; January 07, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

All in all a very good guide. It's not often I learn things about M2TW having played it every since it came out, but I learned some very useful tactics both in general warfare AND in the game itself.

Some good points there. Well I usually don't have to fight my way into the second/third walls as if you can get inside fast enough, you can catch the enemy as they retreat through the gates and pursue him inside while the the gates are still open. The AI will withdraw from the front gate if you break into a wall at the side (near the entrance to an inner gate) so you don't have to fight you way in at the front at all.

Never heard of the refused flank? Read about its greatest exponents, Epaminondas and Frederick the Great (Alexader the Great didn't always use it).

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Very good!
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitalkes View Post
    Never heard of the refused flank? Read about its greatest exponents, Epaminondas and Frederick the Great (Alexader the Great didn't always use it).
    I had never heard of Epaminondas, but yeah as soon as I looked up the tactic, I read about him. I had studied some of Alexander's battles, but I guess I never realized he was using that tactic. From what I remember, he used superior infantry to hold the enemy while his elite Calvary basically bum rushed the general to kill/scare him away. I had no idea Alexander had even used that tactic.

I'll have to read up Frederick the Great later this week.
    Last edited by Vampiresbane; January 08, 2013 at 01:59 PM.

Yeah Alexander (and other Hellenistic generals) would refuse the left flank, pin with the centre, and attack with the right flank - though for Alexander this is only really well illustrated at the Battle of Gaugamela/Arbela. Frederick the Great was able to conisistently beat much bigger armies using the refused flank tactic, and it is one of the easiest ways to win in M2TW as the AI can't cope with it.

How do i download it? I cant see the link

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Srmanuel View Post
    How do i download it? I cant see the link
    this is dead
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

the download/guide seems to be lost. can someone please reupload the file?

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

I still have a copy of the PDF is someone wants to clue me in on how to share this with all .

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

The easiest way would be to place it in a .zip file and upload it here on TWC in the Medieval II Downloads section (Miscellaneous category):

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...p?do=cat&id=29

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

How's this ?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=4315

Can you guys test that for me ?

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by UndrState View Post
    How's this ?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=4315

Can you guys test that for me ?
    works fine
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12