Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Version 2 of the Medieval Total War 2 Settlements & Siege Guide has been completed!

Icon1 Version 2 of the Medieval Total War 2 Settlements & Siege Guide has been completed!

Version 2 of the Medieval Total War 2 Settlements & Siege Guide has been completed! I once saw on this forum a message saying that it would require a book to provide such a guide, and 43 pages later, here it is... every type of settlement/fortress has a map and all statistics. There are also guides to besieging and defending settlements, a guide to artillery use, and a guide to open battles (including confrontations between alliess). With this guide, you will always know the best way to the plaza, how many gates there are, what is the best artillery to use, where the best place is to attack, as well as other information like population levels required for upgrades and all sorts of stratagems for attacking and defending all types of cities/forts.

If you have posted something on TWC about sieges you may find that it is included. if you feel something is missing or is incorrect, please let me know. I have included posts from (in no particular order) Bringer of Storms, ElCid99, Sweger, Willowran, Aeratus, PrestigeX, Nazgul Killer, Niterider1784, Christonikos, _Elysium_, smeto, AJenny58, Fireright, NobleNick., Xellos_Moon, Ishan, and Steven the conqueror. Thanks for posting, guys!

Default Re: Version 2 of the Medieval Total War 2 Settlements & Siege Guide has been completed!

Interesting guide, I downloaded it and had a quick glance. Not bad!

Default Re: Version 2 of the Medieval Total War 2 Settlements & Siege Guide has been completed!

I'm a little bit confused by this:

"8. Using Artillery and fire arrows in Defence. You can have free upkeep siege equipment in your cities rather than infantry or missile troops that can always give you the advantage when defending."

Is there actually any free upkeep siege equipment, though? I can't think of any, unless you're talking about towers (arrow/ballista/cannon towers).

Yes I found that badly written bit a bit confusing, too, so I left it how it was to see if somebody else could explian it! I think I have had free upkeep artillery late in a game, though.

Just checked in the units file. There aren't any artillery units with free upkeep.

Edit: But it's a nice guide though. You should post it in the guides subforum.

OK done that, though it is not obvious which thread is the best one to choose.

Miles

Something that I have noticed that is missing in your guide is a detail on the Huge City Walls. The main thing that sets apart the Huge City from the large is that past the front gate, there is a section of wall forming a sort of horse-shoe. This "Horse-shoe" extends over to the main-road to the plaza, at about the halfway point.
    I am not sure what I am trying to say here. I was just hoping you might be able to say something in your guide about this terrain feature

Edit: Nevermind. Checked out "Using highways and byways"
    Last edited by Swiss Army Cheese; October 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Wow. Most impressive.

Hey, I got a mention! haha I do profess myself a bit of a siege defense veteran... But attacking for me is always brutal, unless (like in my current Venetian/Roman campaign) I have craptons of uber-heavy infantry (in this case VHI with 6/7 chevrons).My Turkish Jihad army suffered almost 300 losses from eight (eight men!!) eight-chevron Vardariotai who just thought "screw this, lets go guys" and went on a balls-out charge into my main army, slaughtering javelinmen and Ghazis left right and centre they even brought down half my general's bodyguard!! Add in the rest of the army, and I lost about 85% of my army in the assault :$ Fortunately they were mostly 100-florin Ghazis...

Downloading Adobe Reader on my laptop now (I know, I should have done that a long time ago), then I'll have a look

Also I'm pretty sure the Mongols+Timmies get free artillery, but that's it

EDIT: Just skim-read it, some awesome tips in there! +rep
    Last edited by El Cid99; October 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid99 View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure the Mongols+Timmies get free artillery, but that's it
    Not in Vanilla. Maybe in some mod.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    type AS Bombard
    dictionary AS_Bombard ; Bombard
    category siege
    class missile
    voice_type Light
    banner faction main_missile
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Mongol_Bombard_Crew, 16, 2, 1
    engine bombard
    attributes sea_faring, hardy, can_withdraw, gunpowder_unit, cannon, artillery
    formation 1.5, 1.5, 3, 3, 3, square
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 6, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, artillery_gunpowder, piercing, knife, 25, 1.8
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 55, 3, bombard_shot, 325, 30, siege_missile, artillery_gunpowder, blunt, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr ap, bp, area, launching
    stat_pri_armour 4, 4, 0, leather
    ;stat_armour_ex 4, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0, leather
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 1
    stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0
    stat_mental 9, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 610, 250, 90, 70, 610, 4, 150
    armour_ug_levels 1
    armour_ug_models Mongol_Bombard_Crew
    ownership mongols, timurids
    era 1 mongols, timurids
    era 2 mongols, timurids
    ;unit_info 6, 0, 8

type AS Rocket Launcher
    dictionary AS_Rocket_Launcher ; Rocket Launcher
    category siege
    class missile
    voice_type Heavy
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Mongol_Rocket_Launcher_Crew, 16, 2, 1
    engine rocket_launcher
    attributes sea_faring, hardy, can_withdraw, gunpowder_unit, rocket
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 6, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, artillery_gunpowder, piercing, knife, 25, 1.8
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 65, 3, rocket, 250, 108, siege_missile, artillery_gunpowder, blunt, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr ap, launching
    stat_heat 1
    stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 1100, 250, 90, 70, 1100, 4, 270
    armour_ug_levels 1
    armour_ug_models Mongol_Rocket_Launcher_Crew
    era 1 mongols, timurids
    era 2 mongols, timurids
    ;unit_info 6, 0, 8

type AS Ballista
    dictionary AS_Ballista ; Ballista
    category siege
    class missile
    voice_type Heavy
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Mongol_Ballista_Crew, 16, 2, 1
    engine ballista
    attributes sea_faring, hardy, can_withdraw, artillery
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 6, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, artillery_mechanical, piercing, knife, 25, 1.8
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 55, 3, ballista, 180, 50, siege_missile, artillery_mechanical, piercing, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr ap, bp, launching
    stat_heat 1
    stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 370, 150, 90, 70, 370, 4, 90
    armour_ug_levels 1
    armour_ug_models Mongol_Ballista_Crew
    era 0 mongols, timurids
    era 1 mongols, timurids
    era 2 mongols, timurids
    ;unit_info 6, 0, 8

type AS Catapult
    dictionary AS_Catapult ; Catapult
    category siege
    class missile
    voice_type Heavy
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Mongol_Catapult_Crew, 16, 2, 1
    engine catapult
    stat_health 1, 0
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 55, 3, catapult, 200, 30, siege_missile, artillery_mechanical, blunt, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_heat 1
    stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 400, 150, 90, 70, 400, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 1
    armour_ug_models Mongol_Catapult_Crew
    era 0 mongols, timurids
    era 1 mongols, timurids
    ;unit_info 6, 0, 8

type AS Trebuchet
    dictionary AS_Trebuchet ; Trebuchet
    category siege
    class missile
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_infantry
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Mongol_Trebuchet_Crew, 16, 2, 1
    engine trebuchet
    stat_health 1, 0
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 55, 3, trebuchet, 285, 30, siege_missile, artillery_mechanical, blunt, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_ter 12, 3, cow_carcass, 215, 3, siege_missile, artillery_mechanical, blunt, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_ter_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_ter_attr ap, bp, launching,
    stat_heat 1
    stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 430, 250, 90, 70, 430, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 1
    armour_ug_models Mongol_Trebuchet_Crew
    era 1 mongols, timurids
    era 2 mongols, timurids
    ;unit_info 6, 0, 8
    Last edited by PapaRosario; October 19, 2012 at 06:36 PM.

Ah ok, just thought since almost all their other troops are free upkeep... The free elephants in particular is ridiculous. Mind writing another guide for how to take on elephants? Preferably as a faction without Naffatun XD

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Best thing against elephants would be anything that throws javelins... Other than that I would guess pikes&halberds and similar should be somewhat effective?

Good job, Sitalkes and Co!

I always find myself taking a two-fold approach in TW, as I wish to recreate as realistic battle/fight as possible. Where it feels right I tend to use "best practices", as shown in this guide. On the other hand, I tend to completely abandon best practices if I see that best practices would abuse weak intelligence of game-controlled units.

Once more - good job on the guide!

There are lots of elephant-fighting threads, just search this forum for them. The advice is always the same - shoot at them with everything you have got and yes, javelins and artillery are the best, and use fire if you don't have any armour-piercing ability.

AMENDMENT: I just noticed, at least in the Crusades Campaign, you can't use ladders to attack an Huge City, only siege towers and rams.

kingjonnythe3rd's Avatar Laetus

wow you guys did flippin awesome. thanks

CrisGer's Avatar Civis

thank you for this remarkable and very helpful guide! I guess we cant throw dead bodies as ammunition? they used to do that to spread plague and disease as a bizarre early form of bio warfare. you certainly covered a lot thanks again.
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Development Group
    Linkedin
    "We Build Worlds"

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    thank you for this remarkable and very helpful guide! I guess we cant throw dead bodies as ammunition? they used to do that to spread plague and disease as a bizarre early form of bio warfare. you certainly covered a lot thanks again.
    You can do that using spies. Use a plagued spy to enter enemy cities.

Yes, if you have a trebuchet, you get the option to throw dead cows (click on the special ammunition button in battle, you get the option of firing fire, stone, or cows). The cows cause lowered morale wherever they hit, and the effect lasts for some time afterwards in that area, so you have to be careful not to send your own troops through that area if possible. It's a fun thing to do and doesnt' do much damage to structures but is rarely useful.

Excellent stuff all around! As someone who kind of sucks on the battle-side of this game, it's very useful to have something like this readily available to me. Time to go test some of this out
    Heh

Now with 100% more blog! -Beer me, mon Capitan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast