Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [FoTS] Sakanade Presents: |TDO| Traditional Daimyo Overhaul - Traditional Armors for Shogunate Clans (Updated: Obama Han Added)

Default Re: [FoTS] Sakanade Presents: |TDO| Traditional Daimyo Overhaul - Traditional Armors for Shogunate Clans

Quote Originally Posted by Liu Zheng View Post
    Hey Sakanade, could you reup some screenshots?

thanks.
    My apologies!
    I was updating the entire thread with new images / download links.

The new images should be up now.

Default Re: [FoTS] Sakanade Presents: |TDO| Traditional Daimyo Overhaul - Traditional Armors for Shogunate Clans (Updated: Obama Han Added)

Just a heads up, I am currently also (albeit slowly) working on a "Improved Traditional Way" playing style mod, with added abilities for traditional units (ported over from S2), made some traditional units actually worthwhile and useful (I'm talking Matchlock Katchi and Wooden Cannons), changed appearances (no more long pants yay!) and tweaked traditional buildings to make the "Traditional" way a realistic gameplay option.

And never fear, my tweakings are all based on what the ingame encyclopedia says and how I interpret it.

For example: The industrial tree building of and up to the "Silk House" is actually a traditional building, as such I modified it to have a -1 modernization. (It doesn't have a chimney, nor does it need machines to produce).
    Last edited by Sakanade; May 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM.

Sengoku Sushi's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: [FoTS] Sakanade Presents: |TDO| Traditional Daimyo Overhaul - Traditional Armors for Shogunate Clans (Updated: Obama Han Added)

Hey, I have a small suggestion, for the Sendai, could the Daimyo have the Datemono Moon Crest, Since the Sendai are the descendants of the Date clan, I think it'd be cool, just a small suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengoku Sushi View Post
    Hey, I have a small suggestion, for the Sendai, could the Daimyo have the Datemono Moon Crest, Since the Sendai are the descendants of the Date clan, I think it'd be cool, just a small suggestion.
    Yeah, that was actually what I gave them in the first version I made.

But then I found the daimyo looked too much like the daimyo from the vanilla S2.

it is true that the Datemono Moon Crest is a Date symbol, but as far as I remember, only Date Masamune wore it. That's why they have the huge upwards crest they do now, as a nod to the Moon Crest from back then.

Thank you for the suggestion though, I might just make 2 versions with 2 different crests then.
    Last edited by Sakanade; May 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Sengoku Sushi's Avatar Libertus

Ahh Yes, Cool, that is true, Thank you.

Semi-big announcement:

I will be publishing my Traditional Way mod for FOTS soon.
    This is a variation of Radious' Total war mod.

Thus if you are a Radious Mod player, this would change nothing except traditional play style.
    It is meant as an overhaul within Radious's mod on the Traditional side.

The old ways are under threat of destruction by iron roads, black smoke and western, foreign corruption, it is up to you and your Daimyo to return Japan to what it used to be.

It makes staying in Clan Development level 1 a viable play option during the campaign and a very fun one with the re-balanced traditional units that have now actually become useful (and remain useful throughout the campaign, depending on how you use them).
    I added no new units, and there are no unit packs included in my mod, as I deemed these to be a little too much.
    My goal was to work within the limitations set out in the vanilla game, and work with what I had.
    Thus I changed traditional units to be more fun to play, and added the character they had in vanilla Shogun 2.
    The Katana Katchi now don their armour from the Sengoku Jidai (No more long sleeve trousers, and the Menpo's are back, as does the General's Hatamoto now wear their Sengoku armor.)
    I have made slight changes to traditionalist buildings and compared them to their "+ Modernization" counterparts.
    Wooden Cannons are now actually a useful tool for a traditionalist general, I did not make them overpowered, I just made them useful instead of a placeholder unit that served no purpose.
    I tweaked some ancillaries (particularly the LEGENDARY ones, which didn't seem legendary) and actually made them worthwhile of getting.
    I added Level 1 Naval defenses to Level 1 Ports, so you at LEAST have some defense against constant and annoying naval bombardment / naval landings which in my eyes, are a huge and annoying distraction from the actual game.

I have noticed during battles, that you really have to use the terrain to your advantage, every hill, rock, forest or building is your shield against the onslaught of guns and modern arms.
    Due to the 2 turn recruitment of your Samurai force, expect to be outnumbered, outgunned and outranged.

Artillery such as Parrot Guns and Armstrong cannons are your worst nightmare, as these far outrange your wooden cannons, so you MUST use tactics to win against your opponent.
    Charging directly into a full stack of Imperial Guard Infantry is basically suicide, as they will mow your Samurai down before they can even reach their targets.
    But luring them just over a hill with your archers, with your full force of Katana Samurai waiting to close in.. might do the trick.

Your tactics will adapt to a "get in close and you win" strategy, as your units will be in full armor, and spent their life training to use their weapon, compared to a peasant with just a uniform and a bayonet.
    You will use enemy squads as cover from other squad fire, I have had to charge into a unit and turned his back to his ally to stop other squads from firing.

Your tactics will have to evolve and ultimately, you will find the perfect tactic for you to use, and may perhaps, bring you victory over the "west".

Expect it within a week, and trust me, if you ever wanted to play as the "ultimate" traditionalist and kick out ALL western influence and remain true to the old ways, It'll be worthwhile.
    I've been constantly working and tweaking this mod (which I just used as my personal mod) for over a year.
    Last edited by Sakanade; November 02, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
    "You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain."

Sounds amazeballs, thank you!

My Traditional Way mod has been published in Radious' hosted part of the forum, head over there to check it out!

"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain."

Does it require any of Radious' mods?

Quote Originally Posted by undead003 View Post
    Does it require any of Radious' mods?
    My TDO overhaul does not require any of Radious' mods.

It's standalone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakanade View Post
    My TDO overhaul does not require any of Radious' mods.

It's standalone.

Quote Originally Posted by undead003 View Post
    Enjoy!

Yay! Thank you for the hard work, sir! Will post impressions as soon as I have had some decent play time!

Reposted from the Radious mod thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Plan C View Post
    OK dude, I've played a fair bit now so I can give you some decent feedback. I played Sendai on N/N (oh yes).

Campaign:

- Sendai are an easy clan to play, probably should have gone with H/H
    - 100 buff to diplomatic relations makes it easier to avoid random DOWs so you only really get DOW'd now if your neighbour changes allegiance suddenly.
    - I saw that you had not included the upkeep mod in yours and I agree with it - it makes armies more valuable now and battles matter much more. Yes, sometimes it feels anti-climactic to see that the 2 stacks of levy you've just smoked were actually your enemy's last forces but I still prefer it.
    - Port defences on lvl 1 help loads, I have found, even on N/N
    - Army composition logic is still the same, which actually not a bad thing. I can actually see the progress in AI clans' development where they start to crop up with more and more cannons and line infantry, Radious did well here.
    - Balance of clan development is much easier now, I think. It's a lot more deliberate now, you have to want to progress (i.e. build 'progressive' buildings), it will not happen on its own. This is, believe or not, another indirect incentive to stay at lvl 1 - You always feel like the people want to keep things the way they are, it's you who's pushing progress on them, so to speak. Very good. Now when I go full on trad (which is always) I can almost see little thumbs up from the merchants on my roads and peasants in the field. I really like how craft workshop gives 0 to modernisation, nice touch. Breaks up the sea of inns and dojos.
    - Overall I am really taking my time, I think I'm on Autumn 1870 now and owning 11 provs - the whole north up from Fukushima all the way to Sapporo.
    - Oh, another thing about Date and why I think they're too easy on N/N - they start bang next door to Uzen which makes your trad armies crazy strong. Because of your 100 diplo buff you don't get harassed much so you can stay even on weak rating for a long time, enough time to scrape together the cash and build Temple Complex and Legendary Dojo; I know I went for that straight off. After a couple of years you get melee units with +6 melee, +15 charge and + 10 morale (IIRC) on top of their +5 rank out the door. At the moment it is still early in the game so AI fields plenty of levy and their armies are as hard as candy floss against my men.

Battles:

- before your mod came out I created a tiny .pack for my own use which changed the matchlocks a little bit - gave them rank fire and changed the stats about a little too; funny how your changes are practically identical to mine, great minds bud.
    - matchlocks are now a properly viable force - you can keep on keeping on with them all the way through, they work amazingly well as flanking units, run'em up 2 strong to one side let them form up while you distract centre with cav and then just watch them work. Man, they are absolute machines now against levy troops - you can run them up, park them close to the levy units and they will outshoot levy every time. Bang on. This doesn't work so well against line infantry - matchlocks will lose the shooting match especially that they take casualties to even get in range, form up etc. They are not a replacement for line inf and will get massacred if they try to go toe-to-toe, but they are still fantastic as a fast deployment skirmish unit, especially on the flanks.
    - armies look the business , thank you, thank you.
    - I still couldn't resist the parrot guns and I am fielding them for their 20 ammo. I do consider discarding them completely, though, because they are a total drag on the camp map and I have not actually used them that much. I will probably change my mind once AI shows up with full line armies + armstrongs in tow.
    - overall I think, for the moment, until AI starts giving me some harder units to fight I will just chew them up. Right now I'm allied to Nagaoka and we're at war with Jozai. Nagaoka have Echigo, Shimotsuke, and Hitachi so they sort of cut me off from the fight, I am going to see who comes out on top and then fight them. Hopefully by that time we will see some more regular troops who will give me a challenge.

I'll keep you updated mate. Overall - great work, thanks very much. Once this campaign is done I will actually try to play as Choshu and advance the clan, see how I stack up against the trad armies of Obama.

how to install aizu. i download it and don't know where to put it

i download it put the pack in the data folder but it still doesn't work help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12