Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Will vs What "God(s)" Wants

Default Free Will vs What "God(s)" Wants

Throughout most of my years of living I've been bombarded with: "You can't do that because God doesn't want you to" or the famous: "You'll go to hell for doing that because God hates it". I've been trying to figure out, if God or Allah(and the other names for your God(s)) gave us free will, why doesn't he want us to do these certain things?

I'm sure if the All-Powerful God(s) wanted you to not do anything, he would merely not give you the ability to do so. I get the concept of free will giving you the ability to do anything that's humanly possible, but if I didn't want my son or daughter doing something I would stop them from doing it, not let them keep doing it.

Why not just, not create the certain food product it dislikes you eating or not give you the sort of brain information to do this certain thing like killing another Human being or the most evil of things: :wub:. This question has been inside of my brain since I was a small bean and I know it may not have a true answer but I want to see your guy's opinion on this. I think God(s) doesn't care if he does this or that, he'll love always love us like a parent loves their child no matter what they do.

Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Free Will vs What "God(s)" Wants

I geuss its like a Test, give you the options of choice to see wether or not you chose the right path or the wrong path and punish you accordingly.
    If he/she didnt give you the option of free will, Heaven would get overpopulated....theres only so much room in the Hotub or Sauna room.

In line with this, most people say that every individual is hand crafted by God, he knows you in and out. He already knows everything there is to know about you - he's known since the very beginning. The question is, if he knows that you'll do things that he doesn't like, why did he design you that way in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Quote Originally Posted by Napo View Post
    Throughout most of my years of living I've been bombarded with: "You can't do that because God doesn't want you to" or the famous: "You'll go to hell for doing that because God hates it". I've been trying to figure out, if God or Allah(and the other names for your God(s)) gave us free will, why doesn't he want us to do these certain things?

I'm sure if the All-Powerful God(s) wanted you to not do anything, he would merely not give you the ability to do so. I get the concept of free will giving you the ability to do anything that's humanly possible, but if I didn't want my son or daughter doing something I would stop them from doing it, not let them keep doing it.

Why not just, not create the certain food product it dislikes you eating or not give you the sort of brain information to do this certain thing like killing another Human being or the most evil of things: :wub:. This question has been inside of my brain since I was a small bean and I know it may not have a true answer but I want to see your guy's opinion on this. I think God(s) doesn't care if he does this or that, he'll love always love us like a parent loves their child no matter what they do.
    The Christian stance is, yes God will love you regardless of what you do, but it has become a bit twisted in regards of what God "hates". Throughout the Bible (OT and NT) it's pretty clear that what God wants is obedience (in Israel's case in the OT), or more properly defined by Christ's death, a relationship. Now anything that violates that is technically defined as sin.

For the matter of free will it is entirely possible, that if a God or gods decided to create a universe capable of supporting intelligent life in order to establish a relationship with said beings, then it would follow that free will is a must. Even in all of God's power a forced connection is still false.

Sorry if that's not as much of philosophical answer as you were looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    In line with this, most people say that every individual is hand crafted by God, he knows you in and out. He already knows everything there is to know about you - he's known since the very beginning. The question is, if he knows that you'll do things that he doesn't like, why did he design you that way in the first place?
    The beauty of humanity is that it is imperfect. Allah made Good, and Evil. He gave you 2 paths, he also gave you Free Will, thats why theres evil. Angels cant do evil, why? Because they dont have Free Will, they're the perfect beings, God already has Perfect beings.

TL; DR: What fun is there in that?

Ussaid the Hashshashin's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Napo View Post

It is like a test you see and Allah have designed it that way.
    Like if there is a test tomorrow you sit in front of your computer and play total war games all night but then tomorrow it is going to effect your result but if you study then you can score a A+, so you have the free will.

Same goes for religion.
    If you do all the evils things then tomorrow it is going to affect your After-life but if you practice religion and do good deeds then it is again going to affect your After-life.

So, Allah is testing our love for him same as smart parents will do for their child, it is not that he doesn't love us, he loves us the most even more then angles because he have given us free will.
    The Face of Murder

"Have any of you ever felt your imagination going wild reading ancient lore?"

Himster's Avatar Praeses

So, Allah is testing our love for him same as smart parents will do for their child
    Oh yes, any smart parent would lock their children in their basement to torture them for eternity if their children fail "the love test".
    Sounds lovely.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Oh yes, any smart parent would lock their children in their basement to torture them for eternity if their children fail "the love test".
    Sounds lovely.
    Werent you the one that said that Hell is timeless not eternal?

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTechmarine View Post
    Werent you the one that said that Hell is timeless not eternal?
    The distinction being?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

The distinction being?
    I dont know, you were the one making the claim not me.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

I have no memory of doing that.
    -Betrand Russell

I have no memory of doing that.

I will look for it and come back to you.

EDIT: Ugh i failed, its buried beneath thousands of posts, it will take hours before i find it.
    Last edited by SuperTechmarine; September 10, 2012 at 01:02 PM.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTechmarine View Post
    I will look for it and come back to you.

EDIT: Ugh i failed, its buried beneath thousands of posts, it will take hours before i find it.
    You can't defeat what you can't see, you can't catch me 'cause I'm the gingerbread-man.
    -Betrand Russell

Eternity is eternity. Time goes on forever. I think timelessness means that time doesn't flow... It's pretty much the same result anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Ussaid the Hashshashin's Avatar Ordinarius

Sounds lovely.
    Yes,
    But Allah is a parent to only those who love him and his holy prophet(peace be upon him).
    The Face of Murder

"Have any of you ever felt your imagination going wild reading ancient lore?"

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ussaid_modder View Post
    Yes,
    But Allah is a parent to only those who love him and his holy prophet(peace be upon him).
    That seems like quite a cop-out.
    -Betrand Russell

The world is radically determinist.

So, Allah is testing our love for him same as smart parents will do for their child, it is not that he doesn't love us, he loves us the most even more then angles because he have given us free will.
    But he already knows the outcome of this test. An omnipotent god knows everything that is, has been and will be. If god is omnipotent, then we are merely playthings. People who do good were meant to do so, and as were people who do bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy of the State View Post
    But he already knows the outcome of this test. An omnipotent god knows everything that is, has been and will be. If god is omnipotent, then we are merely playthings. People who do good were meant to do so, and as were people who do bad.
    Which is why Free Will is basically an illusion.

Its Omniscient, not Omnipotent. Omnipotent means all-powerful, Omniscient means all-knowing.

How explicitly powerful is God even considered to be? Most Christians believe he is both Omniscient and Omnipotent. But is that really what the Bible says?

Maybe "God" isn't all-powerful and all-knowing.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast