Thread: How to get peace treaties?

Default How to get peace treaties?

I am curious how diplomacy works. I am currently at war with different factions. I have -150 on russia and around -200 on Austria and P-L. Prussia I crushed. I am leading the prestige ratings heavilly but it doesn´t seem to make my enemies more eager to sign peace treaties... I have pretty much tried it from the beginning of the war but it seems to never be on the table for anyone so I just had to continue waring.

I usually try bribing with tech and big money but they show no interest whatsoever to even consider it. Wonder if I instead of sending proposals should start threaten instead or will that make me look bad by other factions?

Harvester of Sorrow's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: How to get peace treaties?

You could try offering the faction some land as well as everything else you have offered. Also threatening does decrease releations with other countries (iirc)

Give them really enticing offers, like tech, land, or money, when you send your treaty. The AI also values military access immensely (so much so that some call it an exploit). Toss that in as well. I also like to toss in trade agreements and possibly alliances, but I'm playing DMUC, so diplomacy may have been tweaked.

Also, start sending them State Gifts for a few turns prior to sending the proposal. This will add positive points to your relationship.

Lastly, it seems that you're negotiating from a position of weakness. I find that the AI is more likely to accept peace if I'm militarily/economically superior to them and if I've beaten them to a pulp. Capture some of their territory, blockade their ports, convince them that the war isn't benefitting them. This won't work 100% of the time (some countries just have a death wish), but it'll help overall.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Flatten them. All of them. That ensures peace right?

Buttttttt, if you want to gain peace through the logical way, placing their final city under siege, and then demanding peace usually seems to work quite well, but if you have gotten that far, why bother asking for peace? The AI also likes it if you offer them a settlement in return for peace - one time in a campaign, myself (as Britain) and Sweden had been engaged in a bitterly long war, with neither of us making much headway. I couldn't be bothered to keep fighting them for Norway, so I offered them Jamaica for peace, and they accepted straight away.

Also, has anyone else found that making peace with the Marathas is INSANELY easy??? They accept peace 80% of the time for nothing in return - even when they are beating you!
    Last edited by Aymer de Valence; August 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Quote Originally Posted by nonja121 View Post
    Give them really enticing offers, like tech, land, or money, when you send your treaty. The AI also values military access immensely (so much so that some call it an exploit). Toss that in as well. I also like to toss in trade agreements and possibly alliances, but I'm playing DMUC, so diplomacy may have been tweaked.

Also, start sending them State Gifts for a few turns prior to sending the proposal. This will add positive points to your relationship.

Lastly, it seems that you're negotiating from a position of weakness. I find that the AI is more likely to accept peace if I'm militarily/economically superior to them and if I've beaten them to a pulp. Capture some of their territory, blockade their ports, convince them that the war isn't benefitting them. This won't work 100% of the time (some countries just have a death wish), but it'll help overall.

Well I had a 3x lead on prestige points and beat them silly in every single battle and for each turn they lost a city. On the last turn I took 3 of their greatest cities and then it appeared like they all got the point and showned way more interest. Got peace treaties with austria, russia the same turn and after taking kiev also P-L. Denmark seem to feel safe on their Iceland lol

I hardly had to bribe them just a little money incentive much less then I tried before. I make 40000 a turn so I tried 20000 before but no deal. 3 techs no deal either now I think it was most 3000 and a peace treaty with P-L.

Lol that also works, too (not 100% of the time - the US fought you their last man/territory when I reconquered my colonies as GB).

I really don't think Prestige Points do much. I always find that their relationship to me is the kicker. I can usually talk a friendly leader who has declared war on me bc of an alliance back into a place treaty and trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Redcoat View Post
    Flatten them. All of them. That ensures peace right?
    /thread
    'A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.' -Napoleon Bonaparte

'What's that fluttering in a breeze?
    Its just a piece of cloth
    that brings a nation to its knees.
    What's that unfurling from a pole?
    It's just a piece of cloth
    that makes the guts of men grow bold'
    - John Aggard

When I really want peace because I don't want to take crappy settlements I offer them 500 bucks for 20 turns. That usually nets me peace and trade agreement.If they backstab you then you don't have to pay the money and if they wait for you to pay the money that guarantees at least 10 years of peace.

I managed to make Venice give up... Venice after a short 1 turn war as Austria with my usual 500 bucks for 20 turns. They never bothered me again and they proceeded to be an Ottoman problem which worked fine for me XD.

The money is usually a token compensation for me taking something from them.

Or if you want to make them take a more humiliating peace what sometimes works for me is to besiege their capital(not take it) and beat all relieve forces, sieging their capital cuts off all their trade which usually bankrupts the AI, even on Hard. Just keep beating their armies and they will eventually beg for peace.

On a GB campaign I made Spain give up 2 territories in the Americas for peace. What I did was "rescue"(annex) Portugal, took Gibraltar from them and then blockaded all their ports(could have just sieged their capital) beat 2-3 stacks and I knew they had no money because the stacks went from Line infantry to Militia XD.

Asked for peace and for Mexico and Central America. They gave them up quite quickly.Bad thing is that I was stupid and disbanded about half of my Portugal army and they backstabbed me.

Another time I was Russia in a war against Persia, I really didn't want to take any Persian Region yet so I walked around their armies and went to their capital which was undefended. I asked for peace and they obliged. So it seems that if they know they can't defend their capital they are more likely to be more docile or something.This time I kept a good frontier army so they didn't backstab me.

To me it seems the AI gives you peace if:

1.- Give the AI something.Either money, tech or regions.To me 500 bucks for 20 turns seems to always work, even on Very hard. Or if you are just plain overstretched just give them the settlement they want to attack. Better than being in a war you can't afford.

2.- Bankrupt them, cutting off all trade and beating a few armies works well. Though it may take long they eventually cave in.

3.- Threaten a valuable undefended settlement. This is pretty inconsistent but it has sometimes worked for me. AI seems to be more responsive to negotiations if you are siegeing a settlement/capital and then ask for peace rather than taking the settlement and then asking for peace and giving them the settlement back. It seems the AI gets too butthurt over losing a settlement(which brings me back to 1st point I give them money in compensation for the territory lost)

Or you can destroy the nation.

Prestige and the Strength doesn't seem to do much so don't mind them. Especially since the power seems to be taken globally and not locally so a country thinks they are strong because of that full stack of Brigs on India while you are rampaging on their homeland.

E: All I have said has worked for me in Vainilla with latest patch and all difficulties(except easy I never play on easy)
    Last edited by windsupernova; August 27, 2012 at 08:25 PM.

Good tips. As for besieging do you have to wait for the next turn for they to realize they are besieged or could you ask the same turn and then attack if they refuse?

Standing armies cost money so I guess you have to do a calculation. I only tried some besieging on single region countries trying to get protectorates but never succeeded.

You can do it on the very same turn.

Try this:

Start a Prussian campaign on any difficulty.Recruit 4 line infantry in your capital. End the turn. Take all your army from your capital and besiege Saxony. Open the diplomacy screen and ask for peace and protectorate. They usually accept.On harder difficulties you need to give them money for them to accept, but that is normal for harder difficulties, AI wants sweeter deals.

Almost all methods I mentioned are kinda inconsistent at times but they are still good rules to follow when seeking peace.