Thread: Cimbri Phalangites?

Default Cimbri Phalangites?

So I noticed that in multiplayer the Cimbri have several phalanx units. Both the Helvetti and Batavian troops fight in phalanx mode despite not being this way in single player. So is this just a nod to the vanilla game with its German phalanxes or was there another reason for making them this way?

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Cimbri Phalangites?

The Helvetii correctly did use a phalanx formation, or rather a shield wall, but shield walls requires the BI engine so I took some liberty there. The Helvetii were also associated with the Cimbri and took part in the Cimbrin invasion of Roman lands in 113 B.C.

"The Gallic Wars", by Julius Caesar:
    Chapter 24

Caesar, when he observes this, draws off his forces to the next hill, and sent the cavalry to sustain the attack of the enemy. He himself, meanwhile, drew up on the middle of the hill a triple line of his four veteran legions in such a manner, that he placed above him on the very summit the two legions, which he had lately levied in Hither Gaul, and all the auxiliaries; and he ordered that the whole mountain should be covered with men, and that meanwhile the baggage should be brought together into one place, and the position be protected by those who were posted in the upper line. The Helvetii having followed with all their wagons, collected their baggage into one place: they themselves, after having repulsed our cavalry and formed a phalanx, advanced up to our front line in very close order.

Chapter 25

Caesar, having removed out of sight first his own horse, then those of all, that he might make the danger of a11 equal, and do away with the hope of flight, after encouraging his men, joined battle. His soldiers hurling their javelins from the higher ground, easily broke the enemy's phalanx. That being dispersed, they made a charge on them with drawn swords. It was a great hinderance to the Gauls in fighting, that, when several of their bucklers had been by one stroke of the (Roman) javelins pierced through and pinned fast together, as the point of the iron had bent itself, they could neither pluck it out, nor, with their left hand entangled, fight with sufficient ease; so that many, after having long tossed their arm about, chose rather to cast away the buckler from their hand, and to fight with their person unprotected. At length, worn out with wounds, they began to give way, and, as there was in the neighborhood a mountain about a mile off, to betake themselves thither. When the mountain had been gained, and our men were advancing up, the Boii and Tulingi, who with about 15,000 men closed the enemy's line of march and served as a guard to their rear, having assailed our men on the exposed flank as they advanced [prepared] to surround them; upon seeing which, the Helvetii who had betaken themselves to the mountain, began to press on again and renew the battle. The Romans having faced about, advanced to the attack in two divisions; the first and second line, to withstand those who had been defeated and driven off the field; the third to receive those who were just arriving.
    With the Batavian phalanx it's a matter of artistic liberty, if you check that phalanx out you can see that they are holding their pikes with an overhand animation, which looks really awesome.

However technically from a historical point of view it would be more realistic to remove Bear/Wolf-Warriors and having all Germanics fight in phalanx formation to represent their shield wall tactics; but since it's not possible to have infantry use the wedge formation a correct representation of Germanic military is impossible anyway.

EDIT: Also I would say that their phalanx formations uses shorter spears and less ordered lines than all the other phalanx formations in the mod, so I think it's quite distinct.
    Last edited by |Sith|Galvanized Iron; August 22, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Thanks for the info. I was just curious after having just fought against them in a custom battle. I kind of thought about it being a substitute for shieldwall so that makes sense. It's too bad that shieldwall can't be added into the RTW exe as it would bring some good variety, but oh well.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by xsithspawnx View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was just curious after having just fought against them in a custom battle. I kind of thought about it being a substitute for shieldwall so that makes sense. It's too bad that shieldwall can't be added into the RTW exe as it would bring some good variety, but oh well.
    Yeah it would be fun to update it all to BI, but since I have to make sure the small number of people who plays the MP together all will be able to play it together I have to do these kinds of work arounds. Plus since MP is only about the battles it is sometimes necessary to take some big steps from the SP design to spice things up, I got some other ideas for making battles even more awesome, but that will have to wait until after tour is over.

Would be great if CA was able to different between their SP and their MP in the same way, then they would be able to appease both crowds, just look at Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the SP and MP isn't even the same game lol.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!