Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop Skinning Tutorials.

Default Re: Photoshop Skinning Tutorials.

links are broken Halie Satanus please reupload them again

Is there tutorial for RTW how to create whole new unit,what file to edit using Photoshop and what other tools I need....

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

The NIVIDIA plug in,which one do you use,they have many types,aghhh. 1st page second link broken.

Edit: Just found it,not specified on page 1.

1.http://developer.nvidia.com/object/d...il_viewer.html

2.http://developer.nvidia.com/object/d...es_legacy.html
    Last edited by Kylan271; April 09, 2010 at 10:10 PM.

sarastro's Avatar Foederatus

can somebody please show me some tutorial for,how exactly modding the armor texture in photoshop ,like how to use golden and metallics armor textures i have been looking a lot.please help...

Halie, you are great artist and very good adviser. your advices are very clear

extra thanks for alphas.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

You're welcome..

For the posts above...

Please note; This tutorial is about 5 years old and links will change from time to time. I try to keep it updated when I can but sometimes I forget this thread is even here, such as for the last year or so.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; October 06, 2011 at 10:42 AM.

Dont want to be a complete noob, but does this work for Medieval 2 total war as well?

Blog Entries

The principles of skinning are the same for all TW games. But I think if you look here, that's about the best all round unit editing for MTW2. There might be others but not that I know of..

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Hello all, but Halie especialy. I'm on my first efforts of modding - trying to change colors in the vanila units or Rome. I've extracted the packs and opened a unit texture TGA with photoshop. I paint it a bit and save it the way you show in the first page (DXT5 ARGB Intrepolated Alpha), but I don't do as much processing as you did. I only stike once with the brush in a place that is supposed to show. I also change the target line so that the game will know to use my painted texture - as suggested by Kallikratis below.
    But it doesn't show when I go into custom battle. Can you, or anyone, tell me what is the matter? Thanks.

Blog Entries

It's going to be a problem with the way you've set up the files/path. Is the 'Kallikratis' set up creating a -mod folder? I recommend any modding is formatted within it's own folder. I'll try and explain it as simply as I can.

Create a folder in you RTW directory, for example my Sicilia mod is under this path

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\Sicilia

Make a copy of the RTW exec short cut. Change the target line (right click - properties) to the path below (adding your mod name in place of Sicilia)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -mod:Sicilia -nm -show_err

-nm cancels the start movies (saves a bit of time) and isn't necessary..

In your 'Sicilia' folder add any files/folders you intend to alter ie;

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\Sicilia\Data\models_unit\textures

Now any thing you put in that folder will should show up in game when you run it from the short-cut you've created.

My advice is to learn how to add a unit to a faction, that way you'll know if the unit you're adding isn't showing up it's something you've done wrong..

One last thing, if you're using Vista/Win7 there might be an issue with 'UAC.' Might be worth looking into that..

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 17, 2013 at 04:31 AM.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Yes i get this problem in my Windows 7,as I am use to Xp. I placed the RTW in a non x86 folder and I am able to edit freely. I only learnt recently trying to mod with heaps of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    It's going to be a problem with the way you've set up the files/path. Is the 'Kallikratis' set up creating a -mod folder? I recommend any modding is formatted within it's own folder. I'll try and explain it as simply as I can.

Create a folder in you RTW directory, for example my Sicilia mod is under this path

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\Sicilia

Make a copy of the RTW exec short cut. Change the target line (right click - properties) to the path below (adding your mod name in place of Sicilia)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -mod:Sicilia -nm -show_err

-nm cancels the start movies (saves a bit of time) and isn't necessary..

In your 'Sicilia' folder add any files/folders you intend to alter ie;

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\Sicilia\Data\models_unit\textures

Now any thing you put in that folder will should show up in game when you run it from the short-cut you've created.

My advice is to learn how to add a unit to a faction, that way you'll know if the unit you're adding isn't showing up it's something you've done wrong..

One last thing, if you're using Vista/Win7 there might be an issue with 'UAC.' Might be worth looking into that..

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

First of all, thank you for your quick answer. I 'm only trying to change unit colors for vanila Rome. I used this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au0zL9THjE4 - which is about skinning BI units, and I got it to work. I managed to change one, but I couldn't do it again - for some reason. I tried to do the same with Rome units but I can't. I got windows 7. Your tutorial in the first page does not include the dds converter that he does, so how do you put the unit back for the game to see?
    Also, when in photoshop, the texture I load is labeled as backbround - is that ok? I make new layers of the segments I paint, and then merge them. The whole idea is to convert a DDS to TGA, paint it, convert it again from TGA to DDS, and replace it in the games' textures folder, right? Whatever am I doing wrong?.... And thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    Yes i get this problem in my Windows 7,as I am use to Xp. I placed the RTW in a non x86 folder and I am able to edit freely. I only learnt recently trying to mod with heaps of problems.
    Same here. My installation is not in program files - but I do have windows 7.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    First of all, thank you for your quick answer. I 'm only trying to change unit colors for vanila Rome. I used this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au0zL9THjE4 - which is about skinning BI units, and I got it to work. I managed to change one, but I couldn't do it again - for some reason.
    Changes for BI work because BI is basically a mod of Rome. In fact it works the same way as the (- mod folder) technique I explained above.

I got windows 7. Your tutorial in the first page does not include the dds converter that he does, so how do you put the unit back for the game to see?
    My tutorial does have the tga.dds plug-in and explains how to save files. If you can open them in photo-shop you shouldn't have any trouble saving them.

Also, when in photoshop, the texture I load is labeled as backbround - is that ok?
    Yes.

I make new layers of the segments I paint, and then merge them. The whole idea is to convert a DDS to TGA, paint it, convert it again from TGA to DDS, and replace it in the games' textures folder, right? Whatever am I doing wrong?.... And thanks again.
    I think this is where you're going wrong. Texture files are already .tga.dds files. If you have the nvidia photo-shop plug-in and can open the files there's no need to do any converting. As far as I know that's only an issue if you're editing in 'gimp.' In which case I can't help you as I've never used gimp. Though I can direct you to a free version of Photo-shop C-S2, totally legal.

Again, I really do advise getting to grips with a mod folder, it makes life so so much easier later on..
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM.

I think this is where you're going wrong. Texture files are already .tga.dds files. If you have the nvidia photo-shop plug-in and can open the files there's no need to do any converting. As far as I know that's only an issue if you're editing in 'gimp.' In which case I can't help you as I've never used gimp. Though I can direct you to a free version of Photo-shop C-S2, totally legal.

Again, I really do advise getting to grips with a mod folder, it makes life so so much easier later on..
    I'll get back to you with the exact file name extensions, cause what you're saying really reminds me of something. About this plugin you say, do you need to have nvidia card as well? cause I don't. Can I change the colors of Rome units using your tutorial as it is? Is it the unpacked packs that cause trouble? - I noticed BI doesn't have any packs. Thanks a lot and sorry if this is becoming irritating.

Blog Entries

I'll get back to you with the exact file name extensions, cause what you're saying really reminds me of something.
    All unit texture files are .tga.dds ie; 300_HORSE_GREEK.TGA.DDS

About this plugin you say, do you need to have nvidia card as well? cause I don't.
    I don't think so, the plug-in is a stand alone for photo-shop, your system specs shouldn't matter.

Can I change the colors of Rome units using your tutorial as it is?
    Yes.

Is it the unpacked packs that cause trouble? - I noticed BI doesn't have any packs.
    Ah Ha!!! I have a feeling you didn't re-name the original pack.. If you don't re-name it the game still looks in there for the files. Once you re-name the original file it looks in the unpacked directory. That should be in the tutorial you're using. As I said BI is essentially a mod of RTW contained in it's own folder and runs off it's own exec. The game only looks in the folders it's told to by the exec. Which is why I keep advising you set up your own mod folder.. Take a look at the list of mods below. All those in green folders are self contained, that is they don't effect the original game files at all..

http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Released_Mods

Thanks a lot and sorry if this is becoming irritating.
    Not a problem, it took me a couple of weeks to get my head around setting up directories and getting the right plug-in's and all the other bits and bobs needed to get stuff in game. Once you're up and running you'll wonder why it seemed so complicated, it's really not.. I even managed to get it all working again recently from memory, and I have a really bad memory..
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 17, 2013 at 03:34 PM.

Ah Ha!!! I have a feeling you didn't re-name the original pack.. If you don't re-name it the game still looks in there for the files. Once you re-name the original file it looks in the unpacked directory. That should be in the tutorial you're using. As I said BI is essentially a mod of RTW contained in it's own folder and runs off it's own exec. The game only looks in the folders it's told to by the exec. Which is why I keep advising you set up your own mod folder.. Take a look at the list of mods below. All those in green folders are self contained, that is they don't effect the original game files at all..
    Renaming the pack... The whole pack, or just the texture I'm using? - this is getting confusing. I am doing a little bit of renaming the texture file through DDS converter... I think I already got this version of photoshop you're refering to. I'll get to that plug-in.
    You are so right about BI. I never thought of it that way. That's trully a modders' way of seeing things! However, I noticed your other works (300 WoS, Sicilia). For a person who advises mod-foldering, you didn't seem to utilize it - at least the time you made these. Was it easier that way? You did Sicilia by yourself, right? How long did that take? Big thanks!

Success at last! I changed the colors in 3 units in BI, and now I have new problems - I can see black triangle edges around the shields, and a tiny black stripe around the part of the cheekbone armor. But the important is that I did it. That must mean the names of the files are correct, right? I think I understand now why you advise mod-foldered. However, I dug up an old and unfortunately dead mod (age of Hellas). Back then all mods - or at least most - were copy/paste. I noticed AOH had packs of it's own.
    Remember the first spartan hoplite retexture released by CA (it was the first ever)? It was only copy/paste too. What am I missing in order to do something as simple as that? I'll try your way for Rome.
    Here is the converter drill: I take a dds form the textures and the dds converter renames it <filename>.tga.dds. Then I convert it to tga, open it with photoshop, paint it, save it. Then I convert back to dds and the extension would be <filename>.tga.tga. I put it back in the textures folder, and I can see it in a custom battle.

I did what you said - the mod-folder thing. When I press the arrow button to commence a custom battle, the screen refreshes back to faction selection....

Blog Entries

Renaming the pack... The whole pack, or just the texture I'm using? - this is getting confusing. I am doing a little bit of renaming the texture file through DDS converter... I think I already got this version of photoshop you're refering to. I'll get to that plug-in.
    You are so right about BI. I never thought of it that way. That's trully a modders' way of seeing things! However, I noticed your other works (300 WoS, Sicilia). For a person who advises mod-foldering, you didn't seem to utilize it - at least the time you made these. Was it easier that way? You did Sicilia by yourself, right? How long did that take? Big thanks!
    Just rename the models_unit.pak That's the one you don't want the game to look for, so it will look instead for your edited textures..

Ok, you're leaping around looking for quick answers, there really isn't any. You need to take your time and get the basics set up, after that it all becomes very simple, however, it still takes time. All of my mods are mod foldered accept for the intro movies in End of Days 1. I (think) I did all the work on Scilia apart from the map which was originally made by Age of Hellas team and edited for me by Uranos (actually I think Uranos made the original)..

Success at last! I changed the colors in 3 units in BI, and now I have new problems - I can see black triangle edges around the shields, and a tiny black stripe around the part of the cheekbone armor. But the important is that I did it. That must mean the names of the files are correct, right? I think I understand now why you advise mod-foldered.
    Bi is much easier to mod since it's already a mod. The black triangles are 'alpha channels, I explain them in the tutorial.

However, I dug up an old and unfortunately dead mod (age of Hellas). Back then all mods - or at least most - were copy/paste. I noticed AOH had packs of it's own.
    It was built pre BI if I recall correctly. Yes it was a shame it didn't progress, but XGM pretty much took the reins up and is a very successful mod.

Remember the first spartan hoplite retexture released by CA (it was the first ever)? It was only copy/paste too. What am I missing in order to do something as simple as that? I'll try your way for Rome.
    I kind of remember it, I think it was a new model, rather than just a texture.

Here is the converter drill: I take a dds form the textures and the dds converter renames it <filename>.tga.dds. Then I convert it to tga, open it with photoshop, paint it, save it. Then I convert back to dds and the extension would be <filename>.tga.tga. I put it back in the textures folder, and I can see it in a custom battle.
    No. You shouldn't need to convert or re-name anything. I start photo-shop, I open the texture I want, I edit it, I save it.

I did what you said - the mod-folder thing. When I press the arrow button to commence a custom battle, the screen refreshes back to faction selection....
    You've done something wrong.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 18, 2013 at 02:43 PM.