Page 2 of 175 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Star Trek Thread

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: The Star Trek Thread

It was kinda weird to watch Data laugh....

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

That it was. That episode was awesome though. At the end when Q gave Picard and Riker cigars and women...hilarious. I watched the TNG today where there was a temporal disturbance (of course) and the Enterprise C came out of it. It was crazy.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Content Emeritus

This is not meant to be a double post but it is. My b.

Anyway, check these out. What do ya'll think?

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger

What is that for?

BTW this thread made me start watching Deep Space 9 when it shows on spike tv, lol. That was one hell of a good show. Too bad everything after that was downhill.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Rhah
    who REALLY would win in a Star wars vs Star trek fight???
    Has there been a decisive answer yet?
    Yes. Star Wars. Their weapons and ships are in orders of magnitude faster, stronger, more powerful, and more deadly than almost anything ST has to offer. Plus, SW has more superweapons and a cooler storyline.

wow stop argueing about that stupid ****. You will only have nerds say "this or that is better". When Star Trek hasn't done anything good in 10 years and Star Wars in 20. Also the people who own the rights to both are talentless hacks.

edit: With the technology debate, that you say, both sides "win" always.

Star wars has "faster" ships which you said - which isn't true, lol. Stronger weapons and larger ships, which isn't true either. And a "cooler storyline". Jedi with magic, obviously, many small fast ships with torpedos that can swarm the larger ships even with their accurate weapons. Seemingly better medical technology.

Star Trek has completely accurate firing technology, everything has photon torpedos (which can easily destroy a star destroyer or the death star), transporter technology, and I doubt a jedi can block multiple phaser fire since its an actual laser beam and moves at the speed of light instead of 1/4 of the speed of a bullet like blasters seem to.

Plus star wars doesn't have a "cooler storyline". Its just as bad if not worse than star trek. And "cooler" doesn't mean better. It could easily mean more idiotic. Just like supposidly the movie Fantastic 4 was the "coolest movie of the summer".

Compairing 2 failed series, one being failed but since it appeals to kids it lives on, its useless. I'd like to see Star Trek or Wars do something actually good for once now. Compairing them when they WERE good would be a good idea though. However i'd keep 7 seasons of DS9 over 3 movies though. Simply because its more content. And no i dont read fantasy kids books.
    Last edited by Kanaric; August 04, 2006 at 02:16 AM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Content Emeritus

My friends! I have some wonderful news!

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/23775.html

Remastering Star Trek: TOS FX, Music Enhanced

Star Trek journeys to the 21st century as the Original Series returns to broadcast syndication for the first time in 16 years with brand-new digitally remastered episodes to celebrate its 40th anniversary.

CBS Paramount Domestic Television has officially announced that they are releasing digitally remastered episodes of Star Trek, with all new special effects and music, to celebrate the groundbreaking series' 40th anniversary, according to John Nogawski, president of CBS Paramount Domestic Television.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/25055.html

Remastering Star Trek: Q & A

For the original story on the remastering of Star Trek, click here. For a video preview and interviews with people involved in the project, please check the link to the left.

The remastering of Star Trek is not a project to be undertaken lightly. There is a history here of some 40 years, a timespan long enough that some people are suspicious of using modern digital technology to enhance a show that was considered pretty cutting edge in its day; the quaint appeal of its admittedtly now creaky special effects would somehow be lost. But to others, the relic of Star Trek's original visual effects is exactly what needs to be updated to make the show more appealing for repeated viewings and future High Definition media, and to a younger audience already transfixed by the digital chaos that exists in some modern movies.

The new, digitally remastered, USS Enterprise,

There is a video on the second link I gave. Let me tell ya'll, this looks great!

May Star Trek live long and prosper!

Content Emeritus

HAPPY 40th STAR TREK

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/25215.html

It was the new television season, just like any other, and NBC was about to debut their new science fiction show. That in itself wasn't a novel idea: CBS had Lost in Space, ABC had contemporary shows like The Time Tunnel and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. It was pretty standard that networks had something on the air that fell into the general category of science fiction. And while these other shows had their own quaint charms, they lasted a few seasons and mostly drifted off into memory, and later syndication. (The other one-hour drama that every network had was a Western; NBC already had a bona fide hit in Bonanza and CBS, with Wild Wild West, neatly combined the Western with sci-fi.)

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

What the heck is Star Trek?

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Rhah's Avatar S'eer of Fnords

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent-Q
    What the heck is Star Trek?

Its that thing with the 2 droids, and the guys with the laser sword things isnt it?

Good news that they are remastering ToS though... I can't say i'd ever expected that to actually happen, and it might be pretty good as long as they don't go extremely over the top with the new effects.
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a Halo" - H.G. Wells.

Sig crafted by Bulgaroctonus, Member of S.I.N., Proud Spurs fan
    Son of Valus, Brother to Mimirswell and Proximus
    Patron of Shaun, Eventhorizen, Beowulf47
    and Rob_the_celt

Quintus Valerius's Avatar Centenarius

I must be one of the very few members who can actually remember the first (British) transmisson of an episode of "Star Trek". The week before, "Dr. Who" had come to the end of a season, and the B.B.C. announced this new series. I went over to my friend's house and told him that next week it was some new thing called "Star Trekkers" or something. "It'll probably be rubbish", he said.

The next week I was at the cinema in the afternoon watching "The Italian Job" (no, not Mark Wahlberg [spelling?]), the original Michael Caine version. I came home and "Star Trekkers" had already started on T.V. From that moment my friend and I were addicts! Now we're both 50 next year, and his 11 year old son is a "Star Tek" freak, so his kid really IS "the next generation"!
    DA MIHI SIS POCVLVM VINI FALERNI

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric
    Stronger weapons and larger ships, which isn't true either.
    Let's compare, shall we? ST has gigawatt-yield weapons. SW has gigaton-yield weapons. ST Federation has puny 500 meter ships. SW has ships over 15 kilometers long. I could go on and on, but you get the point.
    Last edited by MaximiIian; September 08, 2006 at 03:55 PM.

Content Emeritus

I like any Trek race that is living, defending and enjoying a different morale system than the Federation and despise all those races with a passion who seemingly throw out 1000s of years of history out of the airlock because some smug in pyjamas tells them it is what he deems morally right.

So Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians and Ferengi cool even though they are very stereotypic, but while Ferengi are portrayed ridiculously greedy at least they feel good about it and don't feel like changing something they feel good about just because someone tells them so.

Really, all those third rate space races who all get converted to Federation ethics as if the Fed was some kind of sect is what I hate the most.

Otherwise I found Bab5 in many ways more interesting (at least the first 4-5 seasons) simply because you had the feeling that every species considers itself good precisely the way it is and doesn't seek some morale guidance from naked apes.

The new Galactica is simply welldone in terms of dramaturgy and atmosphere, not the jolly ride through space but a badass military sf opera in my eyes where humans do their worst in order to survive.

Star wars has "faster" ships which you said - which isn't true, lol. Stronger weapons and larger ships, which isn't true either. And a "cooler storyline". Jedi with magic, obviously, many small fast ships with torpedos that can swarm the larger ships even with their accurate weapons. Seemingly better medical technology.

Star Trek has completely accurate firing technology, everything has photon torpedos (which can easily destroy a star destroyer or the death star), transporter technology, and I doubt a jedi can block multiple phaser fire since its an actual laser beam and moves at the speed of light instead of 1/4 of the speed of a bullet like blasters seem to.
    books.
    Comparing two different fictional universes is kind of nonsense anyway (would anyone compare Middle-Earth with D&D?) but if we just take the raw power displayed in both universes Star Wars is showing a universe which is so technological advanced that it is virtually in constant stagnation. Their ships can traverse space at tremendous speeds outclassing any Federation warp drive, the dimensions of their warships is generally far greater than even the biggest Fed ships (SD has twice the length and what not more mass than a sovereign class ship) and their weapons systems are by the numbers (following SW manuals) in an entirely different league than anything star trek is using.

In SW you have plainly an millenia old galactical empire (consisting of even older spacefaring races) spanning the better part of a galaxy with all the capabilities in the economic, industrial and technological fields that it imply while ST portrays only the "near" future, a far smaller federation, with fewer, smaller, weaker and slower ships. In a number crunch ST simply would lose but that is completely irrelevant and not its fault because it's a freakin design decision how big, powerful,... a SF universe is supposed to be. Just look at Dune for an entirely different universe.
    Last edited by Mangalore; September 08, 2006 at 04:12 PM.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnęte Homme.

wow stop argueing about that stupid ****. You will only have nerds say "this or that is better".
    agreed, it is stupid. Especially when it is evident who the top-dog of space is (hint : sig and avatar... )
    My work here is done....

(oh, and I kinda liked DS9, it had a good storyline)

PyrrhusIV's Avatar Primicerius

I'm more of a Star Wars fan (movies & books) then a Star Trek fan, but I still enjoy trek plenty, when I seem to catch it. Though, I think i'm more of a Picard era fan then Kirk... but I like those episodes too... :hmmm:

Content Emeritus

Ok, since Gaius Baltar thinks he knows everything about Star Trek I shall start to have a sort of quiz. Here is the question,

What does "Q" claim his IQ is?

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I wanna answer!

Content Emeritus

Then go ahead...if you can! I'll give you a hint. Q revealed this in a TNG episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl
    Then go ahead...if you can! I'll give you a hint. Q revealed this in a TNG episode.
    2,005 !!!!(right?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory inspired by Archer
    How much will I pay to sit in front of a TV and chase polygons?