Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75125150165166167168169170171172173174175
Results 3,481 to 3,497 of 3497

Thread: The Star Trek Thread

Default Re: The Star Trek Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    I've watched most of season 2. I quite like Anson Mount's take on Pike, and I find myself more interested in seeing a series based off his enterprise (Number 1, Spock) than the actual Discovery crew. Most of the Discovery crew sucks. Tilly is extremely annoying, and agreed, she definitely makes it feel like children's TV anytime she is on screen.
    Agreed, the crew is awful. I thought I'll catch up on it during my sick leave over this week, but so far...I ended up rewatching best episodes from previous ST shows instead, I just can't bring myself to watch it. The best characters in show, by far, were passing characters. Pike get only little to do, Burnham is one-dimensional Mary Sue with acting more wooden than entire man o'war, Tilly gets to be more annoying than Neelix at times...

Plot of S2 is rehash of the old "evil AI" trope done to death. They don't even bother to think of a reason for it...even the worst cases of evil AI syndrome in TOS had some reasoning behind it. This time, it's simply taken as automatic that computer that achieves sentience becomes omnicidal. And they try to propel it with shock value, rather than clever writing, while they don't actually have the possibility to be sanguinary like GRRM...so it ends up being pathetic instead. The only permadeath so far was a stupid, supposed-to-be-heroic-sacrifice of the worst kind, with incredibly rushed buildup-the character was essentially rushed from background what-the-hell-this-android-looking-thing into something we're supposed to be sympathetic with within a span of two or so episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Agreed, the crew is awful. I thought I'll catch up on it during my sick leave over this week, but so far...I ended up rewatching best episodes from previous ST shows instead, I just can't bring myself to watch it. The best characters in show, by far, were passing characters. Pike get only little to do, Burnham is one-dimensional Mary Sue with acting more wooden than entire man o'war, Tilly gets to be more annoying than Neelix at times...

Plot of S2 is rehash of the old "evil AI" trope done to death. They don't even bother to think of a reason for it...even the worst cases of evil AI syndrome in TOS had some reasoning behind it. This time, it's simply taken as automatic that computer that achieves sentience becomes omnicidal. And they try to propel it with shock value, rather than clever writing, while they don't actually have the possibility to be sanguinary like GRRM...so it ends up being pathetic instead. The only permadeath so far was a stupid, supposed-to-be-heroic-sacrifice of the worst kind, with incredibly rushed buildup-the character was essentially rushed from background what-the-hell-this-android-looking-thing into something we're supposed to be sympathetic with within a span of two or so episodes.
    Oh my God! I know right! I was watching that bridge officer that was a side character with like 2 lines like "Yes, sir" or something every other episode, and she makes a heroic sacrifice out of nowhere! Then they had this huge funeral for her in the shuttle bay! Whole time I was thinking, "who the even was she?" "Am I supposed to care?" I had a confused look the whole time!

Like even Enterprise got it better with Trip's clone Sim! He was more developed in ONE episode than this apparent season spanning bridge officer. They actually got it right there. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...tude_(episode)

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Man this show was hard to watch sometimes.

Visually beautiful, full credit there. A bit too heavy on the lensflare at times, but that's okay. From the start it really felt like it was in the future. It didn't quite feel like Trek but that's perfectly fine. Good, even; a different spin, a new direction. Let go of the shackles and focus on good scifi, just set in a Trek universe.

At times it succeeded. Looking back I think it was Lorca. Before that whole mirror universe ridiculousness ruined everything he was highly watchable. Real. Pike too. And Saru. Oh, and Burnham's mum. She behaved and spoke exactly like someone in her situation would do: I don't care about you people (here, now) because I've seen you die a hundred times and will see another hundred before the end. Get over yourselves and let me go. Bravo!

Reno's a good character. I liked the admiral too. Hated her contrived demise though. Is it just me or did it look like there was enough time to dive under the door after pulling that lever? Or at least try. Or three or four other options that spring to mind, including one that this franchise invented!

The rest though? Yeah, no.

It doesn't bother me that we don't know the bridge crew. Why should we? They just fly the plane. In fact, they're only one shift of the bridge crew. What does bother me is all the looks they give each other when something dramatic is going down, and the occasional scenes where we do see them interacting. Token elements. Forced. Hey, let's get to know these guys for a bit!

Tilly. Viewers seem to be in two camps with her. One adores her. I'm in the other one. It's silliness for the sake of silliness.

Burnham. Heavens above. The most significant creature in the galaxy. Oh, and Spock's sister. Her character isn't interesting or even likeable enough to revolve an entire show around.

As for the story: meh, stuff happened. Watchable but not engaging. Crazy stupid at times.

They should have just set this in the post-Voyager future to begin with. There's a whole universe out there. We've already met Spock, Pike and the Klingons. Move on. Explore. Where no-one has gone before. Tying in with and revisiting already-known people, places and events just makes the universe small (see Star Wars).

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Engage!

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

plagiarism lawsuit continues and it looks like cbs will lose badly, damn thieves.

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

My opinion on the new series: I can't really complain about the acting. For the most part well done. Its also entertaining enough to watch once. The story and characters though .... The only characters I find\found really interesting were spock, Lorca and Pike. Then theres certain aspects I have found a bit cartoonish: the appearance of the Klingons for example. The best Klingon look so far was the newst movies I thought. Why make the change? The subplot focus on Tilly and the relationship between the engineer and the doctor (forget their names) seems so forced. I almost just fast forward everytime it comes up.

Gesendet von meinem A140 mit Tapatalk

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Star Treck Picard, Offical Trailer is out

it won me already, if anything because of the vineyard at the beginning

I always loved Patrick Steward, and now that he is in his old age he is even better as an actor.. and I love the fact that the old crew seems to be all retired and enjoying simple life (which somewhat balances the over-technological trend of the past).

some insights

Thoughts on this?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

It appears to be a mystery/ thriller/adventure style show which I a fine with. It also seems they will have interesting and likable characters both new and old. If the story line is good with an appealing cast, this show will salvage the franchise and move it in a different direction than previous successful shows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    It appears to be a mystery/ thriller/adventure style show which I a fine with. It also seems they will have interesting and likable characters both new and old. If the story line is good with an appealing cast, this show will salvage the franchise and move it in a different direction than previous successful shows.
    That's my hope as well
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I'm very hyped about the return of Jean Luc.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Sylva View Post
    I'm very hyped about the return of Jean Luc.
    Same here.. Patrick Steward is an incredible actor and he was "wasted" in the role of Picard in TNG, very few episodes exalted his skills, IMO

let's wait and hope

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I'm just really worried about how the show actually plays out. Based on the previews, it looks very action-oriented, like the new Star Trek movies, which, in my opinion, has nothing to do with Star Trek. I want the new show to explore deep and fundamental issues of humanity, such as moral dilemmas. If this is gonna be a "Picard goes on a quest + some emotional scenes" kinda show, then I will be severely disappointed. Oh, and I wanna see Q.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    I'm just really worried about how the show actually plays out. Based on the previews, it looks very action-oriented, like the new Star Trek movies, which, in my opinion, has nothing to do with Star Trek. I want the new show to explore deep and fundamental issues of humanity, such as moral dilemmas. If this is gonna be a "Picard goes on a quest + some emotional scenes" kinda show, then I will be severely disappointed. Oh, and I wanna see Q.
    I agree with your reservation. Star Trek is a show that explores humanity. It is my hope that past cast members, and specifically Patrick Student (who I liked since Excalibur) would not sign on unless it at least did that. I would love to see Q; they had sucha great hard screen presence.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I'm also really hoping to see Ro Laren return, because her defection left a mark on Picard.

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

Wow a Picard series? I need to see this.