Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Computer | Upgrade Help

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Re: Need advice: Building a new rig

Barging in a bit with regards to rigs... is it worth it to buy some older components, because of the shortage right now?

I'm eyeing a gaming laptop (always with gaming laptops, that's my jam) and I was looking at ASUS Zephyrus. I'm loyal to the ASUS brand so sticking with that (great products), and I saw an older model of Zephyrus with RTX2080. Is the RTX2080 still worth it given the shortages? Or should the 3XXX line be more common let's say in Spring 2022?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Need advice: Building a new rig

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Barging in a bit with regards to rigs... is it worth it to buy some older components, because of the shortage right now?

I'm eyeing a gaming laptop (always with gaming laptops, that's my jam) and I was looking at ASUS Zephyrus. I'm loyal to the ASUS brand so sticking with that (great products), and I saw an older model of Zephyrus with RTX2080. Is the RTX2080 still worth it given the shortages? Or should the 3XXX line be more common let's say in Spring 2022?
    I don't think so, conditionally. Where do you live?

Also what's your budget in dollars preferably (CA or US)
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Default Re: New Computer | Upgrade Help

Europe.

As for budget, I was looking around at 1.5 - 2K USD. I set my eyes on ASUS Zephyrus S15 GX series, which is around 2.5K USD for a full spec gaming laptop. But it's an older model, it's 2019 I think, and given that is has a RTX2070 it shows.

ASUS ROG Zephyrus S15 GX502LWS-HF062, Intel Core i7-10875H up to 5.1GHz, 15.6" Full HD, 16GB, SSD 512GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Moderator Emeritus

Hmm I'm not familiar with the European market at all unfortunately. I would have been able to reccommend going for a model from bestbuy otherwise. Theres a ton of laptops for sale there with RTX 3060s-3080s for 1k usd+.

For example this one is 1900 usd (2200 cad), for reference it's where I got my own current computer with a rtx 3080 (labelled as refurb but it was actually brand new and just a cancelled shipment someone changed their mind on)
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...n-box/15738174

Alternatively here's a 1500 usd one with a 3070

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...ished/15607283

Theres actually brand new ones with 3070s etc from there but I'm on my phone and it's hard to access. Long story short, check for somewhere like bestbuy in Europe or see if the DCR seller ships to Europe. Dcr is the place dell sends their cancelled orders (brand new with nothing wrong), refurbs and open box or all of that to. I'm betting they may ship to Europe. But maybe I'm wrong.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Looking through the prices, I see that they are more or less the same, with some specific differences but comparing the specs I realise the pricing is off by 10-15% at most (US being cheaper) which is reasonable.

The question is - is it worth it right now to buy these older components?

Moderator Emeritus

Personally I think it's a really bad deal to get the previous generation graphics cards.

Why dont you try ordering one with a 30XX from north America, (usa or canada bestbuy or whatever) and use a package forwarding company like planet express? See here: https://planetexpress.com/postage-calculator/
    The AI Workshop Creator

Go the latest RTX 3000 series. If you're opting for 3060, then you may well chose the RTX 2060 which has almost same performance and would be relatively cheaper.
    3070m seems to be the sweet spot for laptops.

However RTX laptops have thermal issues which is why their TDP is lowered and hence lower performance in comparison to its desktop counterparts. Current Laptop with the best thermal solution is HP Omen series and Lenovo Legion series.

1. Laptops - haven't bothered to keep track of them, since I'm waiting for Ryzen Four or Five as sort of reaching the pinnacle in terms of opportunity cost; however, anecdotally, having onboard graphic cards are an advantage at the moment.

2. Normally, I'd say take advantage of the cheaper older laptops.

3. https://frame.work/

4. In terms of graphic cards:
    a. wait to see what the Intel Arc cards are like
    b. Advanced Micro Devices' refresh with Navi Two onboard end this year, or beginning next
    c. Jensen trying to spoil either release with some stockpiled discounted cards
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

2022 will be interesting. As far as the leaks are concerned it's rumored that Intel Arc will give equivalent RTX 3070 performance which is quite an achievement from an early release. This is where Jensen will disrupt the margins by re-releasing 2060, 1660 Super and SUPER cards for RTX 3000 with more VRAM and some discounts etc depending upon the market situation. TSMC has also complaint that some party seems to be hoarding chips and is intentionally dragging the chip shortages. Could be NVIDIA perhaps? But he didn't name names.

There are two things that disturb me, supply chain disruptions and six hundred watt graphic cards.

I accept I'm likely to get a new type of power supply unit with the over next generation of graphic cards and motherboards, but overvolting any particular computer component for my personal use is a step too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    There are two things that disturb me, supply chain disruptions and six hundred watt graphic cards.

I accept I'm likely to get a new type of power supply unit with the over next generation of graphic cards and motherboards, but overvolting any particular computer component for my personal use is a step too far.
    Yes and this where it can get interesting from what the AMD released recently. With Zen 5 they're aiming for Machine learning and algorithms in firmware itself with several power management profiles making it more efficient depending upon the apps and load requirement. This will be very important on laptops and battery usage. And it seems PCI 4.0 will be completely skipped, they're already considering PCI-5.0.

I think it was optional, but Intel pushed them to go for fifth generation express, since they'll want to remain in front, but you have to wander how much it will cost you for any tier of a Ryzen Four powered personal computer.

At this point, I'm really curious about Intel's new graphic cards, as apparently Jensen has ordered the curtailment of the three thousand series.

Yes Intel has certainly got Nvidia worried, also AMD now only has 10% GPU market share. Due to chip shortages they missed the chance to give tough competition to NVIDIA this time, was a golden opportunity.
    And some BS tactics by Jensen to halt production in Q4 to keep their margins up but yeah that's just business and his task is to keep his shareholders happy. In any case things in GPU sector won't be stable till Q2, 2022 unless a crypto crash occurs before that.

My old laptop is showing sings that it's about to depart into silicon hell, which is a bit too early for me, I don't have enough saved for a good desktop yet and GPU prices are still high.
    So I'll probably get something good enough for now and upgrade much later. I don't have high requirements anyway, most of the stuff I play is old and there are literally two games coming out in next year or two that interest me, and neither look like they'll be a huge performance hogs. So if it can run Path of Exile, Medieval 2, XCOM 2, GTA 5 and similar stuff and has prospect of running Jagged Alliance 3 and Homeworld 3 when they come out, at least on low details...I'll take it.

So for which GPU should I aim? I have pretty much no knowledge of what's good now...

Any good laptop with 2060, 1660 GPU will be able to rock on most current gen games. Laptop prices haven't increased like it has in the DIY PC market and in it only GPU are super expensive.
    You can shortlist something from Lenovo Legion or HP Omen series which have the best thermal solutions as well since gaming laptops get heated up quickly and become a problem to deal with after several months of dust collection. Black Friday is also on the way, that's when you gotta nab one.

Black Friday isn't a big thing over here, so I'm not exactly excited for that. But I've checked a few laptops, and in the price range I'm looking for, all of them have GeForce GTX 1650 4GB.

GTX 1650 is also good and in laptops it's usually 4GB of VRAM which is not an issue in majority of the cases on 1080p res.
    Though you should post the select models so that I can compare which one is better besides having similar specs since sometimes laptop vendors can be deceiving in their marketing.

The one I'm eyeing right now seems to be really new in the market since there are no user reviews on the shops' sites right now. Lenovo Legion 5-17IMH05. I googled a few reviews, seems to be just what I'm looking for-no bells and whistles, but solid power for the price. Specs are i5 10300H Comet Lake, 16GB RAM, GTX 1650 Ti 4GB. The crappy webcam or the weight don't really bother me the slightest.
    So I guess that is an option, unless something about its reliability pops up. If I buy a gaming laptop again, I want it to live up to its predecessors who each lived over 7 years of heavy use and some nasty accidents.

GTX 1650 Ti is better than 1650. So you won't have any problems there considering the games you mentioned and for future as well. Though is there an option to upgrade RAM as well? The 16GB is more than enough but it's actually in single channel. You either want 16+16 or 8+8 dual channel configuration. Single channel holds back performance but quite a margin.

I'm not sure if I do understand it correctly but...the reviews I found mention single-channel issue at 8 GB model. But the one I'm looking at in the e-shop specifically says 16 GB RAM DDR4, 2 slots-2 used. My knowledge about hardware is quite...antiquated by now, but shouldn't that be dual channel then?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast