Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Computer | Upgrade Help

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: New Computer | Upgrade Help

A NUC would not save you any money.

Why not an Android tablet?

The older I get, the larger screen that I want.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

So I ended picking up the NUC. Total cost, 170 EUR with extended warranty, 4GB RAM and 120GB SSD. No problems with installing or running Linux Mint.

Considering the cost of her previous computer and its lifetime, this is more cost-effective.

nadalio's Avatar Civis
    Where the nameless things gnawing the earth

Hi there happy new year!
    do you have a suggestion for a PC to play M2TW and mods? I built an old PC with spare parts:
    - Intel g6950 dual-core
    - 2,80 ghz
    - 16 GB ddr3
    - Mobo Ms-7613 lona
    - PSU 500W
    I need advices for a graphic card legacy bios compatible, do you know any?
    I have some information that GTX 750ti seems compatible with my mobo, but i don't find any more of it.

Any suggestion will be very appreciated

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

If you change the boot from legacy to UEFI in the BIOS you should be good to go with any GPU as long as your PSU supports it
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

nadalio's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    If you change the boot from legacy to UEFI in the BIOS you should be good to go with any GPU as long as your PSU supports it
    Hi Athelstan,
    thank you for your reply, is it posible on my Mobo or it's too old? If yes how can i do it?
    https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c02014355

My mobo is MS-7613 iona v 1.1

I really prefer on high end gaming laptops rather than a desktop gaming set since laptops are portable, you can play and work anywhere

Considering the number of Intel laptops I see available, and still on sale, probably the best short cut to get some computing.

I hear that Ryzen laptops are so in demand, only about fifty percent can be supplied.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nadalio View Post
    Hi Athelstan,
    thank you for your reply, is it posible on my Mobo or it's too old? If yes how can i do it?

Have a snoop around and see if you can find any BIOS updates for your motherboard, then give it a go. You can get into the BIOS by pressing a key during startup, usually something like f11 - Basically; I recommend doing some research regarding your particular product type and see what you find out
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by nadalio View Post
    Hi Athelstan,

No. It doesn't support UEFI. MOBOs released after 2012 have it.
    But you can still install GTX 900\1000 series. They're backwards compatible with PCI 2.0. It really depends on the HP BIOS. Same model is made by MSI as well and in their BIOS it works as cards are backwards compatible with PCI 2.0 lane.
    Safe bet is to take it to some local PC shop and try out the graphics card first before buying. HP has stopped support for this MOBO so it's pointless to search help online.

nadalio's Avatar Civis

Thank you @Ishan and @King Athelstan.
    I took a gamble with a GT 710, i know it's a low profile card, but i don't want to spend too much on a ten year computer.
    The card worked and also handle quite well m2tw, i hope that big mod such DAC and Third age reforged will be good on it..

Blog Entries

Glad to hear that , and aye - when the rest of the parts are that old you really don't want to be spending too much money on the gpu
    and Peaman

I have a ROG laptop model GL552VW which I want to upgrade my SSD and RAM. I am not sure if NVMe is compatible to my unit, I am confused because some tells says it is compatible but some says it is not.

It doesn't seem to have an NVMe slot. You would have to replace your current one with new higher capacity SATA based SSD.
    https://asus-rog-gl552vw.rogdoc.com/...rd-disk-drive/

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    It doesn't seem to have an NVMe slot. You would have to replace your current one with new higher capacity SATA based SSD.
    https://asus-rog-gl552vw.rogdoc.com/...rd-disk-drive/
    When I looked on my SSD slot, it has a 1 notch which is for NVMe, but some says NVMe SSD is not compatible so I'm kinda confused

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Have a snoop around and see if you can find any BIOS updates for your motherboard, then give it a go. You can get into the BIOS by pressing a key during startup, usually something like f11 - Basically; I recommend doing some research regarding your particular product type and see what you find out
    It isn't necessary to get into BIOS just to see what firmware version the BIOS uses, instead just press pause and most mobo's show the firmware version for BIOS in the startup sequence.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by AoRun View Post
    When I looked on my SSD slot, it has a 1 notch which is for NVMe, but some says NVMe SSD is not compatible so I'm kinda confused
    Well there's no mention of it in the Manual but it could that it's a generic manual which wasn't updated for this series when it was released.
    You could have a M.2 2280 NVMe drive. If you can open it up and post a snapshot then I can tell for sure.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Well there's no mention of it in the Manual but it could that it's a generic manual which wasn't updated for this series when it was released.
    You could have a M.2 2280 NVMe drive. If you can open it up and post a snapshot then I can tell for sure.
    Most mobo manuals today often have a picture of the mobo with detailed information about what each component (RAM slot, PCI-E slot, CPU, Sound chip, SATA, Network - LAN etc) does.

So, only the model of the mobo is required to know about since most web shops often have pictures of a mobo(s).
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

@Leo: Yeah but we're talking about the ASUS ROG Laptop.

I'm going to assume it's an M2 interface.

Funny story - I spotted some USB adapters really cheap for M2, and was rather disappointed when they didn't function with any of my gumsticks.

Turns out, gumsticks come with two possible protocols, NVME and SATA, and theoretically, motherboard guides and manuals will state that a particular socket can be used with which, sometimes both.

SATA maxes out at five hundred, about the same as your SSD generation three, and explains why you can have gumstick adapters that can connect to your SATA slots.

NVME is any speed that the onboard gumstick controller can deal with, and that the motherboard has allocated bandwidth to, currently about seven thousand for PCIe4.

It's either/or.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast