Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Computer | Upgrade Help

Default Re: New Computer | Upgrade Help

Or is it better if I mix it with Kingston DIMM DDR3 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury Red CL10?
    Except of the HyperX Fury it seems to have the same "stats".

EDIT:
    I've also found
    KHX1600C10D3B1/8G 8GB 2Rx8 1G x 64-Bit DDR3-1600 CL10 240-Pin DIMM
    It seems to fit in better with my original RAM.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; November 24, 2014 at 01:47 PM.

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

1. Why are you upgrading?
      -Current computer has parts that are beginning to fail and due to age I am unable to upgrade existing. Using it as a gaming rig with Total War in mind but also other games. Would like to be able to play Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain and Just Cause 3. Do not require highest settings +60FPS but would like the best performance that I can get in the budget.
    2. What is your budget?
      -~$800CAD is preferred budget. Willing to go a little bit over if needed for parts but probably no more that $50
    3. Where do you live?
      -Canada
    4. Can you build this computer yourself, or do you need to buy prebuilt?
      -Should be fine building it myself.
    5. What are you current system specs?
      -Windows 8

-AMD FX-4100
    -AMD 6950HD Sapphire 2GB
    - 8 GB Ram
    Want more, just ask but that is the basics. If building new I can reuse my SSD and HDD.

1. What screen resolution will you be using?
      -1920x1080 Monitor. Do have a second lower resolution one but will only be gaming on one monitor.
    2. What websites/stores can you purchase parts from?
      -I can purchase from basically any site that ships to Canada. If parts were centralized between 2-3 sites such as newegg, tigerdirect, and amazon that would be great.
    3. Do you need to purchase peripherals?
      -Have everything except for OS. Should be good though as I have Windows 7 key and Windows 10 boot drive.
    4. When do you plan to buy this computer/parts?
      Planning to purchase within next 6 months or so.

I want to increase load time for the Total War series of games.
    2. What is your budget?
      300 dollars US
    3. Where do you live?
      Orange County California
      I can install things myself, built this computer myself.
      OS Windows 7, Motherboard is a Gigabyte z87x-UD4H, CPU is an Intel i5-4670k, 8gigs 2 sticks of 4gb DDR3 from G.Skill, GTX 970 for my Graphics Card, a 120 GB Kingston SSD for my OS, and a 1 TB WD Blue HDDfor everything else.
    6. What screen resolution will you be using?
      1920x1080 ASUS VG248QE
    7. What websites/stores can you purchase parts from?
      I use mainly Amazon and on occasion New Egg.
    8. Do you need to purchase peripherals?
      I don't think so.
    9. When do you plan to buy this computer/parts?
      Probably before mid September.

I was looking at getting a dedicated SSD just for my Total War games. I've been noticing that my Total War games have been kinda sluggish in the loading from Campaign to Battle Maps. If there is anything else you guys could recommend?

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Sheep View Post

I want to increase load time for the Total War series of games.
    2. What is your budget?
      300 dollars US
    3. Where do you live?
      Orange County California
      I can install things myself, built this computer myself.
      OS Windows 7, Motherboard is a Gigabyte z87x-UD4H, CPU is an Intel i5-4670k, 8gigs 2 sticks of 4gb DDR3 from G.Skill, GTX 970 for my Graphics Card, a 120 GB Kingston SSD for my OS, and a 1 TB WD Blue HDDfor everything else.
    6. What screen resolution will you be using?
      1920x1080 ASUS VG248QE
    7. What websites/stores can you purchase parts from?
      I use mainly Amazon and on occasion New Egg.
    8. Do you need to purchase peripherals?
      I don't think so.
    9. When do you plan to buy this computer/parts?
      Probably before mid September.

I was looking at getting a dedicated SSD just for my Total War games. I've been noticing that my Total War games have been kinda sluggish in the loading from Campaign to Battle Maps. If there is anything else you guys could recommend?

It would be helpful if you could provide us with the precise model of the Kingston you're using so we can compare speeds. The long and short of it is unless you upgraded your system with a newer motherboard to support M.2 SSDs such as this one its not likely you'll see much of a speed increase over your current SATA SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    It would be helpful if you could provide us with the precise model of the Kingston you're using so we can compare speeds. The long and short of it is unless you upgraded your system with a newer motherboard to support M.2 SSDs such as this one its not likely you'll see much of a speed increase over your current SATA SSD.
    I've got a Kingston Hyperx 3k 120gb Solid State Drive SH103s3.
    Last edited by Death_Sheep; August 23, 2017 at 08:35 AM.
    Forward, march!

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

I've got a Kingston Hyperx 3k 120gb Solid State Drive SH103s3.

Your drive is about as fast as it gets for SATAIII SSDs. A newer SATA drive will grant you larger storage capacity and reliability but you wont likely see an improvement in load times. If you do want to splurge on a larger SSD without a system upgrade the Samsung pro line is a solid choice.

Your drive is about as fast as it gets for SATAIII SSDs. A newer SATA drive will grant you larger storage capacity and reliability but you wont likely see an improvement in load times. If you do want to splurge on a larger SSD without a system upgrade the Samsung pro line is a solid choice.
    Yeah, I was looking at the Samsung line... If I do go for a system upgrade, is there anything you'd suggest? If I do upgrade I think about 500-600 would be my upper budget limit.
    Forward, march!

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Yeah, I was looking at the Samsung line... If I do go for a system upgrade, is there anything you'd suggest? If I do upgrade I think about 500-600 would be my upper budget limit.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Extreme 4
    M.2 SSD: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) - Went with 8gb to keep within your budget. You could find 16gb of Ram for about another 75 dollars.
    Processor: Intel Core i5-7600K Kaby Lake

Total = $586.96

With Coffee lake around the corner it may be wiser to wait and get a Coffee lake i5 and compatible motherboard but this will give a general idea of what to get while maintaining some existing components such as your video card and PSU.
    Last edited by Jaketh; August 25, 2017 at 05:10 PM.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I need quick help!

Why are you upgrading?

To play the Rome 2 Total War I have bought for 2 years... Maybe new TW games too

What is your budget?

more or less $700

Where do you live?

Taiwan.

Can you build this computer yourself, or do you need to buy prebuilt?

myself.

What are you current system specs?

old computer:
    - i3-3240, 16GB RAM, GTX 760 (2GB), Crucial 240GB SSD (200mb/s rw) plus 500GB HDD.

monitor:
    - 1920x1080 TV

new computer parts: (already have, ripped from other place)
    - single 16GB DDR4 RAM
    - M2.SATA 240GB

planning to buy:
    - Intel i5-7600: $226
    - MSI B250M Mortar Arctic, Micro-ATX: $103
    - GALAX GTX1060 OC 6GB: $240, cheapest 1060/6GB I can find
    - Super Flower 400W power (gold): $53
    - Jonsbo UMX3 Case: $133 (way overpriced but shipping fee across border cost more)
    - no budget to upgrade CPU or graphics for next 3 years
    - no plan to add HDD
    - will add wifi/bluetooth later

the fund is just enough to cover everything.

buy time is tomorrow. Any problems or things I can improve? I really want to play the game I bought on ultra size.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    I need quick help!

Why are you upgrading?

To play the Rome 2 Total War I have bought for 2 years... Maybe new TW games too

What is your budget?

more or less $700

Where do you live?

Taiwan.

Can you build this computer yourself, or do you need to buy prebuilt?

myself.

What are you current system specs?

old computer:
    - i3-3240, 16GB RAM, GTX 760 (2GB), Crucial 240GB SSD (200mb/s rw) plus 500GB HDD.

monitor:
    - 1920x1080 TV

new computer parts: (already have, ripped from other place)
    - single 16GB DDR4 RAM
    - M2.SATA 240GB

planning to buy:
    - Intel i5-7600: $226
    - MSI B250M Mortar Arctic, Micro-ATX: $103
    - GALAX GTX1060 OC 6GB: $240, cheapest 1060/6GB I can find
    - Super Flower 400W power (gold): $53
    - Jonsbo UMX3 Case: $133 (way overpriced but shipping fee across border cost more)
    - no budget to upgrade CPU or graphics for next 3 years
    - no plan to add HDD
    - will add wifi/bluetooth later

the fund is just enough to cover everything.

buy time is tomorrow. Any problems or things I can improve? I really want to play the game I bought on ultra size.

Its a solid build that should last you 2 years or so of playing on High/ultra at 1080p. I couldn't find that power supply anywhere to review it but as long as it has solid reviews 400watts should be enough for that system. One thing i would note is that Intel is releasing coffee lake right around the corner which will likely have a substantially more powerful CPU lineup then the kaby lake i5 on your list.
    Last edited by Jaketh; September 07, 2017 at 10:27 PM.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Its a solid build that should last you 2 years or so of playing on High/ultra at 1080p. I couldn't find that power supply anywhere to review it but as long as it has solid reviews 400watts should be enough for that system. One thing i would note is that Intel is releasing coffee lake right around the corner which will likely have a substantially more powerful CPU lineup then the kaby lake i5 on your list.
    Thanks!!

If I wait until new cpu I'll buy the 4-core i3, so nope.

Well....my mom's old computer is showing signs that it's about to depart to silicone heaven, probably due to motherboard issues, and I've been given the unenviable task of finding a replacement. Given her minimal needs, an old, used one would be ideal, but she decided she doesn't want to deal with the possibility of quirky computer or one that'll give up on her within a year or two. So it looks like I'll have to get her a new one. I haven't dealt with new hardware much in past few years, my own needs being adequately served by a laptop, and I haven't touched the internals of a computer for anything more than routine cleaning for over a decade, so building one from parts is currently out of question. There's just too high risk that I'd drop or bend something...

So I'm looking for cheapest foolproof way to get a new computer. I've looked through prebuilts on a few e-shops, looks like they all share the combination of 64GB internal storage, 4GB RAM and the tragic case of Windows 10. From my experience with them, such configuration is sorely lacking and seems to be designed to push users toward upgrade, and replacing OS on prebuilt would void the warranty. Ideally, I'd want something without OS on which I could easily slap Linux Mint, which is currently running on her old one, or a different Linux distribution.

I can use peripherals from the old computer, though the monitor is over 10, maybe 15 or more years old, so I'm a bit worried about compatibility there. It's a classic VGA port.

One of the interesting things I've noticed are the mini PCs like Intel NUC series. From the looks of it, I could get the cheapest one plus 120GB SSD and 4GB RAM cheaper than any prebuilt, but I have no experience with them and if they can work like regular PC, it seems like they're more designed for different uses, and I don't know if there's anything else but RAM, HDD and peripherals that are needed for full functionality.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately I'm not well versed in that sort of thing... My own opinion is that almost anything would do for her needs.

What kind of budget are we talking about? Less than $100? Etc.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not well versed in that sort of thing... My own opinion is that almost anything would do for her needs.

What kind of budget are we talking about? Less than $100? Etc.
    I'd prefer to keep costs to minimum. As for hard "cap", I'd prefer it to be under 5000 CZK, which is give or take 250 USD/200 EUR. Electronics are bit on expensive side here-for example, the least expensive NUC I could find, which is without RAM and HDD, costs 3000 CZK.

Linux is fairly low resource friendly.

Assuming Youtube, browsing and office tasks, maybe an office computer that a business is retiring.

Not within my field of interest, but oldest maybe twenty twelve Intel Sandy Bridge four core, or twenty seventeen onwards Ryzen four core; probably 2200G with integrated graphics, B350 motherboard.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Moderator Emeritus

I'd also lean toward some kind of old office computer but if she insists on buying new...

You could try something like this, there's also a $100 version one but it has 20ish gb of storage instead of 40ish~. Also your TV monitor / computer monitor must have speakers for sound
    https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Intel...2453656&sr=8-8
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    I'd also lean toward some kind of old office computer but if she insists on buying new...

You could try something like this, there's also a $100 version one but it has 20ish gb of storage instead of 40ish~. Also your TV monitor / computer monitor must have speakers for sound
    https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Intel...2453656&sr=8-8
    Yeah, stick computers are not an option. Besides, I've learned the hard way that using Windows 10 on anything with less than 8GB RAM and 200GB SSD is asking for trouble.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

AMD is cheaper than intel + nvidia and gives almost the same performance. I'd go for that imho.

This one comes with Win 10 preinstalled
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Moderator Emeritus

Honestly I'd say you have to convince her the right path is an old office computer that's been "well taken care of" by the techs. The costs of a new computer simply are not justified by her needs.
    The AI Workshop Creator

We'll always have Black Friday.

There was a rumour that Zen Two inventory will be cleared out then, but I kinda suspect there's not much left; having surpassed Intel in performance, Zen Threes aren't likely to get cheaper.

Speculation is that Intel might actually become the barely bargain option this Holiday season, certainly for those that have a pre existing computer set up, and want to upgrade the central processing unit.

The other option would be to find a cheap replacement for the motherboard, which sight unseen, I wouldn't recommend, or if the other components are compatible, a slightly newer processor/motherboard combination.

Not sure if Intel is still selling cheap Pentiums or Celerons (nor interested), current cheapest set up would a a 3000G and a A320 motherboard, for hundred bucks plus, not that i would recommend it, being kinda disappointed with Youtube performance, maybe adding in a cheap discrete graphic card would solve that.

For the same price, you might find a second hand 2200G and B450 motherboard, and for forty bucks more two times four gigabyte DDR4 RAM; presumably you could reuse the case and power supply. Might want to splurge for a 250GB PCIE3 NVME for around another fifty bucks.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast