Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starting positions

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Starting positions

I am not saying it is bound to happen to every mod, just that chances are that it might happen (has happened to only one of mine until now). Speculations were going as far as suspecting the text files (campaign_descriptions, win_conditions etc), so it would be nice to know some kind of 'formula' to prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The crash from clicking on multiple factions in the faction selection screen is as old as the first mod - it has never been solved satisfactory, there is even a whole tutorial about it that reduces the probability by a good amount. But ultimately you have to be prepared for it.
    I got it fixed, but you have to use one map image file for all the factions. Like so;
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I have 31 factions, 32 rebel factions, and zero CTD's.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 09, 2012 at 06:44 PM.

Blog Entries

I agree, that is the only way to fix it - but it completely defeats the purpose of the faction map. The GIF I posted in the original thread are in fact the faction maps, to avoid crashes I would have to use the combined faction map underneath it as map_fe.

The idea as such has merit and I think the best would be to include that combined faction map as map_fe in the installation. That way a simple delete of the faction maps in case of too many crashes would solve the issue.

A small Early era Mongol faction, or just rebel units, might work for the far north where it is all empty in the center west of Manchuria. Or you could put a small weak Mongol faction surrounded by Mongol rebel tribes to show how fractured a people they were at the time. There were LOTS of Mongols up there, they were just too busy fighting amongst each other to do anything more than raid China from time to time. Maybe put that Great Wall to the use it was built for? Could be a fun faction to play as well. Just an idea, no need to reply.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 10, 2012 at 04:34 AM.

Ixor_Drakar's Avatar Senator

If you were to include any steppe faction it should be the Xiongnu. They were a tributary state under the Han and Cao Cao/Tsao Tsao would use the Xiongnu cavalry in Shangxi as auxiliaries. Mongols as they were didn't exist as a tribe at this time.
    I survived the Mayan Apocalypse 12/21/12

so, did the guys that made this achieve some custom settlements so we could fight in Chinese castes/cities instead of European ones?

Blog Entries

They had some nice custom buildings according to their screenshots and the files I found - but they can't be transferred, different format.

There was some kind of a tribe in manchuria called "Fuyu". ùmaybe add them as a faction?
    If you want to know more here's link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuyu

http://www.google.be/imgres?hl=nl&sa...72&tx=94&ty=69

Maybe add choson (korea) also as a faction

Also on the map you could see also something with "Di Man" or only "Di" and the "Man" tribe or civilization. I don't know.

You can also add some tibetans (east tibetans on the map) since it also borders the former Han dynasty

These are just ideas ofcourse.
    One of the three, a name split in two, one part is not here, the other is my account name.
    I am the beginning and end of all beings, of all life
    My breath is pure and live giving, Yin and yang were mine.
    The jade emperor was my apprentice, Now i am retired, leaving the rule of the world in his hands.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

I cant remember that koreans or tibetans or "fuyu" had even minor roles at this time. Also, can you imagine how large map should be to include this?

How large? You don't need to put the whole tibetan highland into it. Just the EAST - tibetan,. not tibetans in general. about the fuyu i don't know what they supposed to be, just wondered if someone knew what it was. about the koreans you're right. i just took a look at the map and it really doesn't cover korea so drop that idea of mine.

So what's still left east - tibet.

if you look closely at the present map you could see an island in a lake in the nord - east. well i should implemend the tibetan just in a province above and under it. right under the dark red faction (don't know the name of it) or atleast divide it in two or three so there would much more space between the chinese factions.
    Last edited by tianzong; August 12, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
    One of the three, a name split in two, one part is not here, the other is my account name.
    The jade emperor was my apprentice, Now i am retired, leaving the rule of the world in his hands.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

This mod based on "Romance of the three kingdoms" novel. And there is no mention about tibetans. Main plot is about battles of minor and major warlords for supremacy on Han empire ruines (in 194 year, of course). Addition of outsider faction will ruin original spirit of events.
    Also Gigantus mentioned that map is almost ready and this thread about placing factions in current borders.

Blog Entries

The idea about 'tribes' in the North has it's merit, but for the time being I would like to follow the "lay out" based on the 'Romance' setting. Should there be something in the story line that would encourage the involvement of such a tribe then I don't see a problem to script something accordingly. A fully functioning faction right from the start would most likely upset the game play balance.

For example a faction could get scripted to appear at a certain point - 'conquer' some obscure settlements and then disappear again after a few rounds.

The idea about 'tribes' in the North has it's merit, but for the time being I would like to follow the "lay out" based on the 'Romance' setting. Should there be something in the story line that would encourage the involvement of such a tribe then I don't see a problem to script something accordingly. A fully functioning faction right from the start would most likely upset the game play balance.

For example a faction could get scripted to appear at a certain point - 'conquer' some obscure settlements and then disappear again after a few rounds.
    Hmmm, yeah you're right. It would indeed ruin the whole thing. It's about three kingdoms and not asia. I actually hope that The assembly is going to create one ever.

Another question: what is thailand going to be? just the one from the original (safe heaven or something don't remember it anymore) or not a faction at all?
    Last edited by tianzong; August 12, 2012 at 01:03 PM.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

Blog Entries

The only faction that might come close to that would be 'The Southern Tribes' - otherwise the map does not extend to Thailand. Or did you mean Taiwan? That one is there for geographical purposes, but I don't think it is accessible.

The only faction that might come close to that would be 'The Southern Tribes' - otherwise the map does not extend to Thailand. Or did you mean Taiwan? That one is there for geographical purposes, but I don't think it is accessible.
    TAIWAN!! Yeah that's what i meant (sorry i always mixe those two)
    So you mean you're going to leave it like the original game?

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

Blog Entries

The AI is notoriously bad in handling islands, particular single islands next to a big landmass**, so I am not very eager to incorporate Taiwan into the game other then making a nice to look at map feature. I am probably going to remove the settlement completely and assign the area to that little island in the North West in the lake, seeing that it is an unconquerable region as well.

** I vaguely remember one invasion of England consisting of a 3 unit stack that promptly rebelled - all over a course of maybe 50 games. 2 invasions of Crete didn't go much better. Cyprus was a peaceful haven.

I like this mod idea and I wish you every success in completing it. I LOVE the Three Kingdoms era and have played the games and books many times.

Might the Southern Tribes be the Nanman?

Beside of Meng Huo ( Nanman faction, located in Yunnan, ancestor of Dali kingdoms and Laos, Thailands.) In this timeline, still have very many Southern native ( non - Han people) living in the South of Yangtze River, under Han dynasty's ruler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ha...gdoms_CE_2.jpg

I heard that Chinese in this timeline named every man live in the South of Yangtze River is " Baiyue"; but actually they are very many different tribes, people, almost don't have any concern with each other, ( as same as India, Chinese, Malaysia don't really look like each other, althought they are Asia people). And they usually rebel against Chinese.

At least, I know some of their rebellion in in Guangxi and Jiaozhi, Jiuzhen, Rinan ( North and Middle of Vietnam in modern age):

178 - 181: Luong Long rebellion ( in Hepu, Jiaozhi, Jiuzhen, Rinan).

we only know that their soldier almost defensed with Shield and one style of mirror armor ( made by bronze, but it look like be use for ceremonial than in fighting).

Their weapon is spear, axe, dagger, very few ge ( adopped from Chinese), javelin, bow, crossbow ( follow their legend); war elephant and small war ship. They almost never use sword in fighting.

= > if you want one more faction, Hepu can become Southern Native faction.

But actually, 18 faction isn't too many for the mod?
    Last edited by yevon; August 15, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

The limit of factions for m2tw is 31. (1 of the factions I think has to be rebels)

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    The limit of factions for m2tw is 31. (1 of the factions I think has to be rebels)
    Yeah, i think that is right. Will the Jin be an emergent faction or will the game not encompass the later years of RoTK?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast