Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: TATW Realism+ /Final/ [TATW 3.2]

Default Re: Third Age TW Realism+ 2.1 (created for TATW 3.2)

Just started 2.1. Am I supposed to be getting "Native Spear Militia" (with Easterling accents) instead of Bree Militia as Eriador?? I can't recruit anything but them anywhere except for in Bree and Annuminas so far (turn 10), and that takes a long time.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

... instead of Bree Militia as Eriador?? I can't recruit anything but them anywhere except for in Bree and Annuminas so far (turn 10), and that takes a long time.
    No, alone this sound very odd. There are no big recruitment changes for Eriador in 2.1 compared to 2.0.

The Native Spear Militia unit is recruitable by many good side factions in desert regions:

Unit description file extract (dictionary) (export_units.txt in "text" folder)
    {Persian_Spearmen} Native Spear Militia
    {Persian_Spearmen_descr} Equipped with a spear and a solid shield besides basic armour, these militiamen are native rebels of southern dry lands governed by Harad, fighting often against the Shadow of Mordors allies and some of them have even numenorian roots, so it comes that they will likely serve as allies for the good side.
    {Persian_Spearmen_descr_short} Spear Militia protected by a solid shield and armor.

Unit data file extract ("edu" = export_descr_unit.txt)
    ; added /DV
    type Persian Spearmen2 ; AoR
    dictionary Persian_Spearmen ; Persian Spearmen
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Heavy
    accent Arabic
    banner faction main_spear
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Dismounted_Arab_Cavalry, 60, 0, 1
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, mercenary_unit, no_custom
    formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square ;, schiltrom
    stat_health 2, 3
    stat_pri 6, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr light_spear, spear_bonus_4
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 3, 4, 4, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 1
    stat_ground 1, 1, 0, -1
    stat_mental 11, normal, trained
    stat_charge_dist 15
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 420, 210, 75, 55, 480, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 2
    armour_ug_models Persian_Spearmen
    ownership scotland, byzantium, sicily, turks, milan, all
    era 0 scotland, byzantium, sicily, turks, milan
    era 1 scotland, byzantium, sicily, turks, milan
    era 2 scotland, byzantium, sicily, turks, milan
    recruit_priority_offset 7

Unit recruitment file extract (recruits type from "edu" file) ("edb" = export_descr_buildings.txt)
    ;AoR desert folks, good side aux
    recruit_pool "Persian Spearmen2" 1 0.07 1 0 requires factions { sicily, } and region_religion numenorian 20 and hidden_resource desert
    recruit_pool "Persian Spearmen2" 1 0.07 1 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter dunedain_turks 1 and region_religion numenorian 20 and hidden_resource desert
    recruit_pool "Persian Spearmen2" 1 0.07 1 0 requires factions { scotland, turks, milan, } and region_religion northmen 20 and hidden_resource desert

turks = Eriador

If you can recruit this unit in non-desert regions, then your installation is wrong.

Edit: Maybe you have used a save file (my updates require a new campaign start) and/or you have not overwritten all files, as you are supposed to do along the install-instructions? Anyways, reinstallation of at least the submod is the recommendation.

Edit2: Perhaps you have also the seldom case of a messed up export_units.txt.strings.bin file - this file is the mirror of the export_units.txt file in "text" folder (holds all unit names and descriptions aka dictionary reference in edu), you can delete the .bin file, it'll be generated anew when you fire the game/mod. ... but my recommendation above is duty ...edit: ...and if this doesn't help, just reinstall TATW 3.2 vanilla, and then the submod v2.1.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 29, 2012 at 02:46 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Another point: If somebody playtests 2.1, please inform me if you get over turn 72 (just ca. turn 70-80, or higher) ... i think in this campaign-phase (end 60's turns) happens something that causes a repeating crash type "unspecific error" (was the case in 2.0, and i have no idea if this is solved).
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 29, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Good work!I just have one question.. Why do the Uruk Hai look like Dwarves (or goblins)? The are too smaal.They used to be much bigger than orcs didn't the?

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by adopap View Post
    Good work!I just have one question.. Why do the Uruk Hai look like Dwarves (or goblins)? The are too smaal.They used to be much bigger than orcs didn't the?
    Like Dwarves or Goblins?
    No, you are right, they are relative big, Saruman's special orcish Uruk creations.

From 1st release post
    TATW Realism+ submodding material
    Solely TATW 3.2 stuff. The submod changes a lot coding/scripting and ie. unit-wise also adds entries to edu/edb and such, while models are not changed at all. The entire submod is about tweaking the gameplay/balance.
    Do you have a picture (screenshot)? Anyways if the Uruk-Hai look different to TATW 3.2 vanilla, then there is something wrong in your installation.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 29, 2012 at 12:07 PM.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

Im playing this Submod atm with HE , i like the submod allot !
    Only Isengard seems to be like 2nd in the military ranks. prob because there units stats are quite high ( 7 att - 10 deff) for uruk raiders...
    But tho rohan is holding .
    @ turn 35. Thanks for this lovely submod!

Reinstalled everything--TATW 3.2 and this submod. Everything's working fine now. I'll report back after turn 70 and after I (hopefully) take out the OoG. That's when the ctds started with 2.0.

Patrician Artifex

Damn guys, i got a repeating ctd with turn 68 -> 69.
    I've verified that it has something to do with the traits file, as i now disabled the triggers, reloaded a save from turn 66, and then i got over turn 72 (formerly not possible to get over turn 68).

And Aringtoit, i highly guess that your experience in 2.0 (OoG rebel and then ctd) was caused by the traits ctd bug as well.

---

Here is the temporary fix, install this on v2.1 (it's the slight modified traits file from v1.1 which comes already with the extra health points for the famous characters and Saruman is immobile), besides it contains the newest vnv file, the traits description file (text folder) as preparation for the upcoming real fixed traits file from 2.1 (atm. i don't wanna give it up on that traits file, a lot work went into it, just need to find the culprit).

If you are in your campaign below turn 60 or so, chance is there that the campaign moves on properly with the temp traits fix file, but just in case it ctd's still, start the campaign anew with this temp trait fix, and then i'm pretty sure the campaign is ctd-free.
    But my best advice is to restart the v2.1 campaign with this temp fix applied.

Installation: Open folder Third_Age_3/data and paste the unzipped files, overwrite.

Edit: Attachment removed.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 29, 2012 at 08:03 PM.

Patrician Artifex

I just fixed the campaign ctd.

I merged the traits file from v1.9 with my v2.1 traits additions and the former crash turn 68 -> 69 is fixed, same effect as with the above mentioned disabled triggers, campaign plays on.
    That means random occuring trigger(s)/trait(s) from the usual traits stuff (which i recently modified a lot, at last with versions 1.99.9-2.1) causes the crash-issue, but not my new triggers/traits.

I'll load up v2.2 in some minutes.

---

EDIT

V 2.2 uploaded.

Edit: Still valid, please inform about the turn you reached when you post here about v2.2.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 30, 2012 at 07:10 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Third Age TW Realism+ 2.3 (created for TATW 3.2)

V 2.3 uploaded. As usual everything in first post.

... common gameplay and lore immersion once more a lot improved ... forget the former version(s).

--

Edit:
    So with the update some good side factions are a bit better setted compared to the former balancing (and also more interesting to play, still Eriador/Arnor is the focus, but hell of attractive is clearly also Gondor and Rohan, and still for the extra challenge ie. Dale, SE, ...)
    I would like to get now again some player reports about their experience and observations for the campaign-flow (i playtest myself of course, but more different views are always very helpful). Purpose is, that i probably do still two updates (2.5 then really final), and main content will be finetuning for the balancing ... but just along the core idea of the submod, the quasi lore-proper gameplay, ie. bad would be if good side player have a significant easier walk than before, while it is intended that they hold out as long as possible and give the evil side factions some blows, and well, in the end the good side (player) shall win
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 02, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

trying to find some sparetime to play between school and cross-country but keep up the good work

2.2 was working fine. No ctd when the OoG were destroyed this time. Not even any ctds during multiple army sieges!

Maybe it was just my campaign, but I noticed that the OoG and OoMM were a little tougher and more aggresive, which is good imo. Rohan's kicking Isengard's butt as of turn 85 (they've taken Duneard), and I'm (Eriador) moving in on them now.

Going to end that campaign and restart with 2.3. It's a good mod and I'll let you know about 2.3 when I get a chance.

Patrician Artifex

Aringtoit, all balancing changes which you encounter are due to my tweaks - they are multiple, i can't list all details in the changelog, impossible.

V 2.4 will be still more amazing ... playtesting myself of course as this is my experience-base for the design per update.
    The next update though will also contain some recruitment corrections (already done) for 2.3 - no real bugs, but oversights in 2.3 which negated Rohan unit recruitment for Eriador in Enedwaith and Riddermark regions.

In your 2.2 camp, did Rohan also take Isengard itself in mid 80 turns, already?
    Isengard is gradually "dis-sharpened" by me in the recent versions, as they have been quite overpowered (by me), so it's good to hear that Rohan AI is able to give them a blow in the later turns (80's, as you say), although Isengard expands heavily and is pretty strong in the first 70 turns, it is not the case in the 70s that Rohan presses Isengard dangerously, Rohan holds very good though just because Mordor is more busy and can't act deeply in Rohan as they could in recent versions, Rohan even sends some aid into Anorien, in my 2.3/2.35 Eriador campaign at least - i (Eriador) have all hands to do vs Isengard and OoG still in the 70s, but now i start to strike back and start to be able to secure some conquests. That was the plan in this regard, camp gameplay along lore: Isengard very strong (expanding a lot), but Isengard AI shall fall in the end by Rohan and Eriador->Arnor->Reunited Kingdom

Rhun is now also a major power house (they were always, but not so significant in global statistics, now they are or develop to them), although i tried to help Dale with some tweaks and subtracted one region-gift for Rhun, Rhun comes now second to Mordor regarding the evil side camp statistics, but also Harad presses Gondor, Gondor holds better now vs. Mordor and Harad, btw. ... i have always local spies at least in Anorien, asap.

This said, i think i upload in some minutes v2.35 as in-between-version, it provides the above mentioned correction besides small other improvements.

--

Update v2.35 uploaded.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 04, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Default Re: Third Age TW Realism+ 2.35 (created for TATW 3.2)

Really like the changes in 2.3. Like the new Eriador units, especially the Arthedain Horsemen. Only on turn 20 something and I'm being pressed by the OoMM and Isengard. Now 2.35 is out so I'll have to start again! Personally, as Eriador, I like the Isengard units tough. You can't really take Isengard on until you've got a decent army, and it would be very hard to take them out before becoming Arnor.

In 2.2, Rohan took Duneard by turn 70. With me starting to move in, things looked bad for Saruman. Mordor had taken Minas Tirith and killed Denethor and, as mentioned, I wiped out the OoG with no ctds.

Keep it up DaVinci!

i have some sugggestions for units (may be a little weird)
    Eriador skirmishers on a horse
    Hobbit cavarly
    Eriador swordsmen/axemen
    just ideas

Patrician Artifex

Next last updates will primarily include balancing finetuning.

This is for example:

Unit stats, combat
    - Nerf some Mordor unit stats of at least their most heavy units.
    - Nerf some Harad unit stats.
    - Nerf some Rhun unit stats.

Recruitment
    - Looking at certain evil side factions, replenishment and numbers, perhaps also costs.

Background: V 2.3/2.35 provides a bit of more help for good side factions, but still evil side factions are very superior from certain turns on, ie. around turn 90 - 100, good side factions, especially Gondor (and Dale anyway is pretty much reduced by Rhun), start to loose their key settlements vs. Mordor and Harad. Rohan starts to loose bordering settlements to Isengard. Goal is to delay that tendency still more.

As for the unit suggestions above, those would mainly require to implement complete new units, and that's not content of this submod (as of yet, at least). Further on, some of your ideas do not match at all lore background, so they are no-go ( "Hobbit Cavalry" ).
    Hm, Eriador Swordsmen/Axemen ... they are there in principle (Bree Heavy Militia is a swordsmen, Greenway Guards (foot) are polearm units, real Axemen is there as Cardolan Retainer, and anyway the Woodsmen). Eriador Skirmisher (horse) is there in "person" of Aragorn's and Halbarad's mounted Grey Company, just not as regular unit, and they would merely overpower an Eriador player. Else, Eriador can recruit later the Rohan mounted javeliner (Rohirrim) in according areas (have to look still though if they are not solely for Arnor available, if yes, i'll think about to make them available for Eriador as well, but at such a camp stand that Eriador can secure according regions with such advanced Rohan unit recruitment, Eriador should be turned into Arnor already, and then has really enough units available).

Edit:

But here is a question.
    I thought about the idea to negate the AI setup regarding the region gifts at game-start, completely.
    How is the opinion about it?
    You can see the difference when you toggle_fow (console_command, check M2TW workshop for disabling the fog of war) prior to end_turn in the initial starting game turn. I reduced the scripted region-gifts already in this submod, but maybe they should go completely?
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 05, 2012 at 10:19 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Third Age TW Realism+ 2.4 (created for TATW 3.2)

Update v2.4 uploaded.

Regarding the above mentioned goal to delay evil faction power, here i did at first an improvement for certain factions (unit stats, most respectively Dale and Gondor). If that won't help accordingly, then the nerfing of some evil faction units comes into regard.

With the updates coming fast and furious, I've never had a chance to get past turn 80 something. As Eriador, I haven't faced Mordor yet.

In the latest versions, the OoG and OoMM seem tougher/more aggressive, but Isengard seems weaker. I like a tough Isengard. It's Lore accurate. In 2.3, I've taken North and South Tharbad and Duneard's wide open. Haven't been toggling FOW so I don't know what Isengard's doing with their troops. If Rohan's pressing them from the South, I don't know how Saruman survives for long (I'm on turn 54).

From an Eriador perspective, I think the OoG and OoMM are about right now. Imo, if any faction should be "gifted" regions, it should be Isengard. Their position on the map has always been the toughest for an evil faction (that's why Saruman was always getting killed early game in vanilla). Just my opinion.

Things are looking good though DaVinci. The mod's really shaping up well. I'll end my 2.3 campaign now and start 2.4...if you can keep it up, I can!

Going to try this out tonight, looks wonderful.

Heptagenia's Avatar Civis

[QUOTE=Aringtoit;12085820]With the updates coming fast and furious, I've never had a chance to get past turn 80 something. As Eriador, I haven't faced Mordor yet.

Exactly: