Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: TATW Realism+ /Final/ [TATW 3.2]

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.99 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

Battle Crash Fix

for current version 1.99 (campaign and custom battles aka all battles).

New edu file: Temporary valid, until v2.0 is released.

Unzip the attachment, and put the edu file into the data folder of Third_Age_3 mods folder, overwrite. Saved game compatible.

Credits for this fix go to Aringtoit, Heptagenia and Emrys for their dedicated battle testing, provided me the certain hints for this fix.
    The culprit has been certain officer changes for some archer units, a small simple thing with big affect. And to make sure such battle crashes can't happen anymore, i disabled all officer changes done by me (even if they work apparently without issues for non-missile units).

Attachment removed, obsolete (fix in v1.99.5 included).
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 14, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.99 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

Just fought a custom battle with the new edu. Charged Woodland Hunters and Rangers (1 at a time, then both together) and no ctd. Looks like the problem's solved! I'll continue the campaign and keep you posted.

Thanks.

Patrician Artifex

Thank you, your second last post gave me the kick to fix the thing, and now you'll do the quality-control of my fix claim with your further playtesting.
    Btw., the 1st post credits part is changed accordingly.

With 99 % probability the battle crashes, we have discussed here for a few pages, are solved (although i did only one custom battle test before and one after the fix/es).
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Heptagenia's Avatar Civis

i did a test with the old savefile (i always got ctd with)with the new battlecrash fix. no ctd now good jobb. fantastic mod
    Last edited by Heptagenia; September 12, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

i got an error when i was in the deploment zone with gandalf when i was attacking duneard. i have 3 rohan cav 3 rohan axemen 3 rohan swordsmen 1 ent and 2 woodland hunters. i installed the battle fix post.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by skullripper View Post
    i got an error when i was in the deploment zone with gandalf when i was attacking duneard. i have 3 rohan cav 3 rohan axemen 3 rohan swordsmen 1 ent and 2 woodland hunters. i installed the battle fix post.
    At first some questions:
    With deployment zone, you mean pre-battle before you drop "Start Battle"?
    What was the error? Message-text or any according log-entry? (I very much assume the Ent recruitment aka Ent usage in-battle is the reason for the error message).
    Is this the first time you are using Ent unit in campaign battle mode?

You are pretty deep into an Eriador campaign, right? However, for the first time somebody mentions the for this submod added Ent recruitment (which is rarely possible in the later campaign phase), and is not tested "live" for the campaign mode.

Question to others: Anybody else achieved this stand in his Eriador campaign, and got the option to recruit Ents? And used them in-battle?

Skullripper, do the following:
    Disband the Ent unit (alternative, hold that unit out of the settlement-attacking army), and attack again the settlement in the same manner, report back asap, what happened.
    Also, if you have the time and possibility, please load up (ie. attachment) the saved game prior to that settlement-attack.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

wait i think it was just the third age reinforcement error because i used that same army in 3 battles without errors. sorry for the misinformation

Patrician Artifex

wait i think it was just the third age reinforcement error because i used that same army in 3 battles without errors. sorry for the misinformation
    ...not so quick, i became sensible during the development of this submod for any kind of crash-bug-reports, much more than ever before ... the results in the end for this submod showed that many crash-reports have a serious (new*) background (except it was actually a known bug ie. reinforcement-bug), and the effort of fixing-processes pays back, ie. provides in the end a stable campaign and battle mode.

*especially valid, when i know that i introduced some quasi-experiments, which aren't tested "live" for the campaign mode (while this is valid for all mods, unless they use solely routine-codes/contents).

The former 3 battles which worked flawless with the same army-consistence, did you siege/attack settlements as well, just with Ents?
    And, is it now sure, it was the reinforcement-bug, or not? Iirc., i didn't get the reinforcement-bug as of yet, might be luck and the fact that i didn't play ie. Gondor's Osgiliath-front etc., however, what gave you the idea it was the reinforcement-bug?

If you are still unsure, please proceed as i requested above, and report back (i know i go on your nerves now, but your report provides me the source to get the information i actually wanted to know since i added the Ents recruitment via tech-tree, in other words: your report is very welcome, and i can't let it go that easily).
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 13, 2012 at 06:19 PM.

I sieged all those cities with with the same army the only time i get errors is when enemy has like 3+ reinforcing armies

Just to tell you how my Eriador campaign's going--I'm on turn 72. No crashes (except for vanilla reinforcing army siege bug), I'm destroyng the OoG who only throw skirmishes at me for the most part (I'm taking my time on purpose), OoMM and Isengard haven't made a move against me, Rohan's dead, Gondor's lost it's capital and Isengard's at war with Mordor.

I assume I'll face tougher units when I go for Isengard/Mordor, but should Isengard and Mordor be at war with each other??

No charging archer crashes and I've charged them several times. That problem's fixed imo.
    Last edited by Aringtoit; September 13, 2012 at 09:17 PM.

My eriador campaign is at turn 80 i control all the way from ruskea vene to lond angren and from eryn vorn to hoarwell, i surrounded gundabad and im helping to destroy isengard, i just turned into arnor. dale was destroyed.

Patrician Artifex

Thanks skullripper and Aringtoit (skullripper added to the credits part because reporting about the Ents content, was much desired by me).
    Then all is fine regarding crash-things in this submod, they are gone finally, and i'm glad the Ent content works.

As for global balancing things, ie. Mordor/Isengard, and also OoG etc.:

# If OoG and OoMM AI would get quick access to their most heavy units, then good side AI factions would have no chance at all aka would leave Middle-earth still earlier as now. Isengard and Mordor (of Orcish evil factions) shall be the powers.
    # Isengard war with Mordor happens due to sharing borders during the campaign, when Rohan is erased, i assume - i'll try to make them more aligned in their behaviour even if they share borders.
    # What's going on with the Elven factions and Dwarves?
    # Aringtoit's report: Hm, i don't like it really, that Rohan dies until ca. turn 70, which happens due to the 2-front war vs. Isengard and Mordor, i have to think about it.
    # Question/s to skullripper: Is Isengard at war with Mordor in your campaign as well? And Gondor lost its capital already? (Btw., as long Gondor is not totally weakened, they have the chance to get back Minas Tirith, i saw that once). Is Rohan dead already, in your campaign as well?
    # Skullripper: You turned into Arnor, everything right, no issues in this regard? Ie. what are your bodyguards now?

# As you can see, you both play Eriador, and campaign-outcome rolls out differently, it is actually always dependent on player's behaviour, but also chosen camp difficulty has its impact. Btw., what are your chosen campaign difficulties?

# Do you guys have suggestions for the balancing, ie. units in particular or faction-wise?
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 14, 2012 at 03:37 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.99.5 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

V 1.99.5 uploaded, as always changelog in 1st post.
    The complete fixed submod. Should be the last beta pre-2.0.

...wanted to get it out prior to weekend.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 14, 2012 at 09:26 AM.

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.99.5 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

I've been taking it slow and easy as Eriador. The mod's a good one. I assumed that he quality of units faced would get better when facing Isengard/Mordor (which I haven't done yet). Maybe the OoG/OoMM could be a little tougher because I've yet to fight a defensive battle against either no matter how big their stack. It's almost always stalkers, skirmishes and snaga archers. The OoG are dead and I'm about to become Arnor. Maybe if Orc Spearmen, Maulers and Wargs were a little more numerous they'd have held out longer and/or attacked me more.

I'll see how it goes against Isengard and Mordor. Looks like the Silvan Elves and High Elves seem to be holding their own. Dale and the Dwarves are non-factors so far and about to go soon. Rohan's dead and Gondor's in trouble. Think it IS going to be up to me to save Middle Earth!

Edit--I'm playing on Medium/Hard btw.
    Last edited by Aringtoit; September 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM.

Isengard is not at war with mordor, Gondor has not lost any territories only cair andros a osgiliath, rohan is still alive(i fund there war effort), I have no error with arnor. I play m/m long.

1 suggestion Can you make dale and silvans a tiny bit stronger they get steam rolled by 50 turns.

Patrician Artifex

Thanks for descriptions and proposals.

Very interesting how different Gondor plays out in your Eriador campaigns on M camp difficulty, i'm stunning, also about the different Elven's outcomes.

I'll change something according to your posts (but not for Gondor, as there are changes already with 1.99.5), besides i want change a bit of Arnor's low unit class recruitment for certain areas (already in work), then this will be uploaded as another in-between version prior to 2.0.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 14, 2012 at 06:07 PM.

Does anybody get the message the king of eriador is dead when they start a game?
    This happens to me when i start every faction besides eriador.

Patrician Artifex

Does anybody get the message the king of eriador is dead when they start a game?
    This happens to me when i start every faction besides eriador.
    Don't worry, everybody gets this because it belongs to this submod, happens because Aragorn's father Arathorn (who is the King of Eriador) dies per script at game start (see changelog of earlier version, where i overworked Eriador's family tree, i said something like 'enables according message').
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 15, 2012 at 02:27 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.99.7 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

V 1.99.7 uploaded, as always changelog in 1st post (recruitment balancing, adds also 2 units to the game which were formerly not accessable for factions).

Edit:
    A mistake in the tech-tree of that version needs correction: Paste the attached file (unzipped) into the Third_Age_3/data folder, overwrite.
    For a short while valid, i'll update soon to 1.99.8.

Attachment removed, obsolete.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 16, 2012 at 01:18 PM.

Emrys's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.99.7 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

I will run through Eriador and Gondor and let you know know the results.