Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: TATW Realism+ /Final/ [TATW 3.2]

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.99 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

Did you see this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=560193 about custom settlements? (Barrow Downs is a custom settlement, an Orc Camp).

However, next time, try the following as comparison: Attack Barrow Downs only with standard Eriador units, this is without the added ZoR units, use only Bree Militia, Woodland Hunter, Lumbermen, Greenway Guards, Heavy Militia (Merchants) etc., which did exist before i added Eriador's ZoR/AoR units. You can also differentiate with characters, ie. Aragorn has its original TATW vanilla bodyguards, Gandalf and Halbarad not.

This is my suggestion ... try that separate, not additionally the geography file removal along the above linked thread, but eventually afterwards, if the standard units deliver the same result.
    Edit: 2nd suggestion, test TATW 3.2 vanilla, Eriador, go for Barrow Downs after that mission comes, compare what happens, report.

EDIT

Some apparent facts again (after your recent posts):
    - It seems, routing enemies provoke battle crashes (what is actually strange, and perhaps unique for this submod? And apparently a new item since more recent submod versions?).
    - We found out that by me added/changed battle-related traits have no impact in that regard (crash or no), as you reported battle-crashes with and without those traits changed contents.
    - Along your battle experience, my recent edu unit code changes (with 1.99) for the added/enabled ZoR/AoR units have no affect on battle-crashes, they happen anyway for you (remark: this, although my personal battle testing delivered successful battle experiences after my edu file changes, in direct comparison, but still, it can be a random item).

In general (TATW 3.2 vanilla):
    - We have anyway the fact that the RBAI content in TATW has the 50 % option to provoke battle crashes under certain circumstances: the reinforcement bug (but other than that, RBAI is known to be stable).
    - The TATW vanilla bugreport thread delivers battle-crash reports, different reasons it seems, ie. some have reported that double-clicking on area while the battle runs caused a crash (iirc., this happened also in my case, rarely, but already with TATW vanilla and my very first submod versions, thus common valid battle problems do exist).

Options (which i see atm. regarding TATW Realism+ submod):
    - It is possible, that the by me added/enabled ZoR/AoR units have the affect to provoke campaign battle crashes (if this is so, then those added/enabled ZoR/AoR units must be disabled by me). This, although they don't crash in custom battles (indicates normally, that they have no potential for battle crashes).
    - It is possible (rather evident), that TATW battles crash regardless of by me added units, ie. due to the custom settlements content (if this is so, then the above linked advice should be tried, geography file removal, backup those files though).

Under the line:
    - Only very few players of this submod report about battle crashes. Experiences in this regard are obviously pretty different, perhaps even different per chosen faction.
    - Apparently, the battle crashes started first since i added/enabled the ZoR/AoR units for the campaign.
    - We know nothing with certainty

--

More reports? Anybody?
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 06, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.99 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

Aringtoit: Another ZoR/AoR unit test, Eriador

Here is a temporary special* edu file attached to testing for you as Eriador player, which is save game compatible, but please apply that for Barrow Downs anew in comparison, and recruit the usual units you have used, especially the Aux units Armored Spear, Peasant Spear and Peasant Archer, but you can also only use the initial available Armored Spearmen of these Aux units.

I have tested that just successful, first in custom battle applying solely the said units above (1 Armored Spear, 1 Peasant Spear and 1 Peasant Archer) vs. 2 OoG units, they routed, no crash, no issue; and then also in campaign, here only the Armored Spearmen (3 of them) with a couple of other Eriador units, incl. Gandalf and Halbarad and other standard Eriador units but ie. not the special allies (Elven A., Ithilen R., Dwarven, Bandoras A.) - battle fought, rebel orcs routed, Barrow Downs was taken, no crash, no issues.

* difference to 1.99 edu file is only a changed ownership entry for those Eriador Aux units.

My goal is to find out (making sure), if edu ownership entries make any difference for added campaign units with mercenary attribute regarding battle-crash experiences, for users who experience them still.

Attachment removed (obsolete).
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 08, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

I'll test it as soon as I can and let you know what happens.

Thanks.

Sorry it took so long. Was in meetings.

Turn 45 as Eriador with 1.99 and new edu file above and no crashes. Looking good!

Heptagenia's Avatar Civis

Play 1.99 as Eriador. Play with orginal EDU file. no problem with Barrow Downs. /Hep

Emrys's Avatar Primicerius

Full campaign of Gondor, Mordor, Harad, and Dale all work fine with latest version

Patrician Artifex

Thanks a lot guys for the playtesting, according to my own initial tests and your reports, seems battle crashes are past as well now, except possibly some random occurences which are not due to the submod files.
    (Btw., i'll extend the credits for battle playtesting accordingly).

However, i wanna make the edu file thing sure before i create/release v2.0.
    I attach another slight changed edu file (save compatible, it has no stats changes, but only formal code changes for the added AoR units), which will go into 2.0, if it remains that nobody reports a battle crash.

Attachment removed, obsolete.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 11, 2012 at 08:46 PM.

i attacked barrow downs with 2 breeland militia, 1 lumbermen and 2 woodland hunters, and i ran out of arrows so i sent my archers in the fight and the game crashed

Play Eriador and i take North Tharband, later Isengard try to take back North Tharband and Isengard routing i got CTD./ Hep excuse my bad english

Edit try with the new EDU same problem then Isengard routing i got CTD

Edit maybe it has to Elven A., Ithilen R to do, i also sent Elven A., Ithilen in to fight and the game crash.
    Last edited by Heptagenia; September 09, 2012 at 08:45 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Well ok, skullripper's report is new evidence that the battle crashes have nothing to do with by me added AoR units or with any other changes with this submod (ie. character battle-related traits), as he got it with standard Eriador units, which have simply only normal stats changes compared to TATW vanilla, and if there were a mistake, the game or latest campaign battle mode couldn't fire at all or any custom battles would crash with those units used, which is not the case, not at all.

Also i had the thought that it could have to do with the RBAI content (which is unchanged by me) in combi with my submod unit changes, if this script part is in concrete dependence of TATW's vanilla units content - even so, his report shows, there is no relation.

Other than that, there would have been the option that new edu unit entries would overfill the max unit count for the file aka the game - this cannot be as well, because other submods add much, much more units to the mod.

So actually i have no clue what the cause of those battle crashes could be, ie. if it is the moment when AI routs, could have been an indication for such parts like RBAI, that the script cannot work out certain situations for new/added units, but as said, skullripper delivered the evidence, it is not the case, no relation, when battles crash with TATW vanilla standard units and submod added units alike - it would rather indicate the engine or RBAI script cannot workout the momentum of AI routing, on the other side, i myself have nearly 100 % battle cases, that the AI routs sooner or later, and have had no crashes.

The only thing, which comes to my mind still and now, if it has something to do with any kind of unit changes by me - it could be here still unit names changes (ie. i changed Bree Militia names) - it is the trial to remove the file mods/Third_Age_3/data/text/export_units.txt.strings.bin in this regard, if this can have an impact on battle outcome for the engine aka here ie. the RBAI content, but i doubt it a lot (would be a new experience for TW games overall, and if RBAI, then every submod which changes any kind of unit content would have to do a customisation of the RBAI content, i haven't heard about that anywhere).
    However, the file export_units.txt.strings.bin will be generated anew if deleted when the game is fired, so you can do it any time as trial.

Else, i did not at all any map changes which could have an impact on certain battle locations (ie. mentioned was Barrow Downs, now Tharbad), just in case those crashes happen only in certain areas of the map, there is no relation with this submod done by me.

Edit maybe it has to Elven A., Ithilen R to do,
    Nope - all such units, the by me added AoR units have the same kind of code, and we have evidence, they are not the culprit - also the unit models are the same as the standard ones. I myself used those units x-times, and enemy AI routed, i got no crashes.

These battle crashes, and if it happens only when AI routs, is after all your reports and my personal tests, a random event, and we had it with different kinds of edu formal codes for those added AoR units (ie. the different ownership changes by me, they didn't have an impact).
    And obviously, it has also nothing to do with the reinforcement-bug of RBAI.

EDIT

and i ran out of arrows so i sent my archers in the fight and the game crashed
    i also sent Elven A., Ithilen in to fight and the game crash.
    ... indicates, the arrows ran out, player sends those archers into melee, and battle crashes - and this happens unrelated to by submod added units (see skullripper got the same result with Eriador standard units). Earlier, Aringtoit reported, the battle crashes when he sent a general into melee, enemy routs and the battle crashes. My impression is still, it has to do with the AI routing-moment, and not with certain units, and if it would be the latter, ie. archers ran out of arrows and go into melee, then the animation of those units would be bugged somehow, which would cause a crash - i can't imagine this, also because i myself used archer units a lot also in melee after arrows ran out, really very often, standard TATW and by submod added ones, without any issues.

---
    Under the line, i have no clue for the culprit

---
    EDIT

We could try to get a statistic for such battle-crashes, ie. with the help as following, a list in this order:

Headline: Campaign Battle Crashes (and/or Custom Battle Crashes)
    Submod Version:
    Turn:
    Faction vs. Faction AI:
    Units Player vs. Units AI:
    Battle Location:
    Moment of Crash:
    Further Description: like repetitive/repeatable (happens always, or randomly), AI reinforcements involved or not and such.
    Plus Hint: ie. had have similar or other battles which ran fine without any issues, although AI routs or whatsoever.
    Additional Info: ie. had have such similar battles with TATW vanilla and/or other submods, and no battle crash issues happened, means, happens only with this submod here.

... just to get a firm overview-result.
    For any further battle-crash experiences, please use this form, and if possible, try to remind the earlier experiences within this form above as well.

---.---

Edit: And to make 100% sure, that it has nothing to do with by submod added units, i can create pretty fast an alternative version, which consists only of TATW vanilla unit recruitment. I'll attach such a version, let's see if this makes a difference.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 09, 2012 at 11:09 AM.

Just a thought--I haven't had any battle crashes since I installed the new edu file, but when I was getting them I got them before the enemy general died and the game cuts to a close up of the enemy general dying. If I made it through that, the game wouldn't crash. I know nothing about modding, but maybe the changes you made somehow effect the game when the enemy general is killed/captured.

Anyway, I'm on turn 85 as Eriador with the new edu and no crashes. I saw Saruman walking around though! Elrond hasn't moved and is holed up in Imladris with a huge garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Heptagenia View Post
    Play Eriador and i take North Tharband, later Isengard try to take back North Tharband and Isengard routing i got CTD./ Hep excuse my bad english

Edit try with the new EDU same problem then Isengard routing i got CTD

Edit maybe it has to Elven A., Ithilen R to do, i also sent Elven A., Ithilen R in to fight and the game crash.
    try so many times and always got ctd, but only when I not sent Elven A., Ithilen R in to fight, no ctd,
    I actually think the problem is Ithilen R.

Patrician Artifex

If I made it through that, the game wouldn't crash. I know nothing about modding, but maybe the changes you made somehow effect the game when the enemy general is killed/captured.
    Hm, no, can't imagine this. Also i personally have several battles where the AI general is killed and battle runs further without a crash. If there were something related, it would be a common valid item. And well, that could be possible indeed ie. via the traits file (ie. all TW traits files have something like pre-battle and post-battle related traits, which count certain outcomes), but therefor i asked/tested the changed battle related traits file, and our result was that there is no relation (we applied the mod with and without those special changes by me), and also i have not changed those pre-battle and post-battle related traits which count losses and such.
    However, if the new test delivers nothing new, we can try anew the submod without the changed traits file, no problem.

I saw Saruman walking around though!
    Yes, comicably the immobile traits code works only to some certain extension, the according characters still can walk a little, a little actually, means their movement points are limited a lot, better than no impact.

---

try so many times and always got ctd, but only when I not sent Elven A., Ithilen R in to fight, no ctd,
    We will see, those units mentioned are added AoR units.

---

Alright guys, i'm glad you are concerned with the battle crash item aka have interest to fix the thing.

I'm pretty certain it has nothing to do with any added units to the mod, but to make that sure, i have here a version attached, with

a. no recruitment of any added AoR units (via tech-tree or other call that building-tree)
    b. no added merc pool units (merc file)
    c. no added AoR units in ds (= descr_strat, which is the start situation file).
    plus Halbarad has the same bg as Aragorn (vanilla Grey Company bodyguards).
    ...else, it is the same as v1.99.

(it is a zipped mods folder)

There are still some unit additions active with ds, those are certain bodyguard units ie. for Elven factions and Eriador, but, actually those changed bg things cannot be the culprit for our battle crashes, also we have now multiple reports where such generals with those bg's have no participation, so i'm sure they are not a problem.

Hint: Playing ie. Eriador is much harder without the AoR units.

If somebody applies the attachment, then start the campaign anew, it is not saved game compatible.

Installation: You have to unzip, and then overwrite the mods folder within the main M2 directory, aka same process as always with this submod.

Attachment removed, version test obsolete.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 11, 2012 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heptagenia View Post
    Another thing was that I was sure that an enemy group routs at a time.

Got my 1st crash on turn 92. Happened when I charged the Woodland Hunter (archers). Been saving the game before battles just in case, so I replayed the battle without charging the archers and no crash. Just to test, replayed it again and charged the Rangers. It crashed. Played it one more time without charging any archers and no problem again. Got a Heroic Victory.

This seems in line with what Heptagenia's saying about charging archers. This is with the latest edu file btw.

Patrician Artifex

Hep, what do you mean exactly with
    an enemy group routs at a time.
    ... group = unit or parts of the AI army?

Aringtoit, and when you charge with archers, did it crash in that very moment or when the AI starts to rout?

We have here obviously two observations still, 1. AI routs, crash; 2. charge with any kind of (foot!) archer units, crash.

2nd case archer-charge is not clear if crash is caused by the charge-command-moment or due to AI starts routing in that moment, and if the latter, then it is only one crash-reason, but probably dependent on archer-charge.

We have to find out, if it is a. AI routs/crash, b. archer-charge/crash or c. archer-charge+AI routs/crash or even d. a (random) mix of all situations.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 10, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Hep, what do you mean exactly with ?

Aringtoit, and when you charge with archers, did it crash in that very moment or when the AI starts to rout?

We have here obviously two observations still, 1. AI routs, crash; 2. charge with any kind of (foot!) archer units, crash.

2nd case archer-charge is not clear if crash is caused by the charge-command-moment or due to AI starts routing in that moment, and if the latter, then it is only one crash-reason, but probably dependent on archer-charge.

We have to find out, if it is a. AI routs/crash, b. archer-charge/crash or c. archer-charge+AI routs/crash or even d. a mix of all situations.
    Yes i mean group = unit of the AI army?, what I can see, after many attempts c is the key/ Hep
    Last edited by Heptagenia; September 10, 2012 at 01:56 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Well, then let's verify it ... ie. that at least Aringtoit confirms point c is the thing.
    Oh, and please test it also in custom battle, imo. the same must happen there (as AoR units are no_custom coded = not custom battle access, just test it with any archer units available, at best you choose similar unit-consistence per army along your campaign battle experiences).

Afterwards we can test the archer phenomen, i already know what's to do to check that out.
    And btw., it has then nothing to do with added AoR units, means attachment of post #113 is obsolete for testing separately, i'll remove attachment if we have the verification that c is the case to fix.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 10, 2012 at 02:05 PM.

Just did two custom, battles as Eriador vs OoG--same standard units for both (3 spears, 1 General's BG, 1 Heavy Merchant cav, 2 Woodsman, 1 Woodland Hunters (archers) and 1 Rangers). 1st game I charged the Rangers before the orcs were routing and the game crashed. 2nd game I didn't charge archers and I won a clear victory.

Seems to confirm that charging archers have a lot to do with it. You're the expert though.

Patrician Artifex

Ok, thank you.

I would like to know if somebody experienced such archer-charge crash, if not the human player charges with an archer unit, but when the AI charges with them.