Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: TATW Realism+ /Final/ [TATW 3.2]

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.98 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

V 1.98, Eriador battle playtest 1 (as for Aringtoit's Eriador/Barrow Downs in-battle crash report).

Get mission Barrow Downs in the 1st end_turn.

I take Gandalf and his 3 allied archer units (Ithilien Ranger, Elven Sentinel and Bandoras Hobbit) plus Halbarad (Grey Company bg) from Staddle to engage the close-by Bree Bandits band, formerly discovered via spy. I attack. Battle runs issue-free, everything normal, all units were engaged.

Afterwards i take (in the meantime partly armour upgraded) units from Bree: Woodland Archer, Lumbermen, Greenway Guards plus Bree Archer from Staddle and Gandalf and Halbarad to engage vs. Barrow-Downs. I siege them until they sally out which is the 2nd turn after siege. Battle runs issue-free, everything normal, all units were engaged.
    Getting the successful-mission message and the unit reward into Bree, which is one Greenway Guard unit.

No battle issues in sight.

Aringtoit, if your in-battle crash remains, please list exactly your units. I take every crash-report serious (and will help where i can, ie. possibly a file change on your side is the culprit), and just in case, please use v1.98, not v1.97 incl. temp fix (although that should work as well). And there is no need to edit the Dismounted Dunedain Knight unit, it's done with v1.98.

Edit
    Going to try to fight that battle again and see if it crashes again. I'll let you know. 1st time I've gotten an in battle crash with your mod without there being a relieving army involved. It's an "unspecified error" crash btw. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    By chance, did the Barrow Downs Orc Looter garrison get reinforcements from the nearby (hidden) Orc Looters? Perhaps you suffered from the very seldom reinforcement-battle-bug?
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 03, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.98 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

Crashed at Barrow Downs again (1.97). Was just testing Eriador (which is my favorite faction) so I took a big force with me (Gandalf, "Merchant" cav, 3 spearmen, Rangers, Woodland Hunters, SE Sentinals, Dwarves and Greenway Guards). Sieged it also, battle ran fine when they attacked until I started getting the upper hand and then crashed. So far I've tried it with and without Gandalf and with and without Araphor (who has a Grey Company). Crashed regardless of the combination. No orc reinforcing army was involved.

Going to try 1.98 and I'll let you know what happens.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Aringtoit View Post
    Crashed at Barrow Downs again (1.97). Was just testing Eriador (which is my favorite faction) so I took a big force with me (Gandalf, "Merchant" cav, 3 spearmen, Rangers, Woodland Hunters, SE Sentinals, Dwarves and Greenway Guards). Sieged it also, battle ran fine when they attacked until I started getting the upper hand and then crashed. So far I've tried it with and without Gandalf and with and without Araphor (who has a Grey Company). Crashed regardless of the combination. No orc reinforcing army was involved.

Going to try 1.98 and I'll let you know what happens.
    You seem to have a messed up file setup in your v1.97. Araphor can't have Grey Company bg coming with my files of v1.97, he has Greenway Guards mounted, Halbarad is the one with Grey Company bg, besides Aragorn, see also changelog. (bg = bodyguards)

When you are going to install v1.98, perhaps it is advised to first overwrite with the TATW vanilla Backup of 1st post (look accurately what's to do when overwriting, not that you paste files into the wrong folder/s* ... as my submod always overwrites files, the question "overwrite?" must always pop), run that and check out if it works normal as TATW 3.2 vanilla (which you know, i assume) - and first then, install v1.98. The proper installation of 1.98 should solve your issues.

*If something like that happens, then at best, deinstall TATW completely, and reinstall it completely, this is the main setup for TATW 3.0 and the setup for TATW 3.2 patch (3.2 patch includes 3.1 patch).
    It makes also sense, when installing a M2TW mod to check out first, if M2/Kingdoms runs normal.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 03, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Having played full campaigns with OoG, OotMM, Isengard without any CTDs my campaigns with Harad and Mordor have come to screeching halt - almost every battle with Gondor CTDs on the loading screen, especially when facing 2 or more Gondor stacks. Nevertheless, it doesn't seem to happen with militia level troops.

Growth rates for the cities in 1.98 seem a little...excessive. On turn 70 Dol Amroth had 75 000 inhabitants. Regarding my previous observation regarding the CTDs, I managed to fight a battle against a Gondor spawn-stack normally. I would assume that the CTDs are connected to reinforcements somehow.

I got the general's names confused DaVinci.

Installed 1.98 and same thing--crash about halfway through during Barrow Downs battle as Eriador. Installed 1.80 and no problems. Maybe it's one of the units added since 1.80. Actually, everything up to 1.94 I think worked fine for me.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atreides View Post
    Growth rates for the cities in 1.98 seem a little...excessive. On turn 70 Dol Amroth had 75 000 inhabitants. Regarding my previous observation regarding the CTDs, I managed to fight a battle against a Gondor spawn-stack normally. I would assume that the CTDs are connected to reinforcements somehow.
    Pop-growth: Thanks for that observation. That shall get a review, possibly the pop-growth provides also a lot of unrest for the AI, either i'll add law-bonusses for AI or drive back growth-rates ie. for bigger settlements or both.

Battles: Then it might be the known reinforcement-bug happening with the RBAI content. But you could also try to list the units used by Gondor, ie. those which are added to their roster with this submod (because most Gondor units are just the same as with TATW 3.2 vanilla).
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 04, 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Aringtoit View Post
    I got the general's names confused DaVinci.

Installed 1.98 and same thing--crash about halfway through during Barrow Downs battle as Eriador. Installed 1.80 and no problems. Maybe it's one of the units added since 1.80. Actually, everything up to 1.94 I think worked fine for me.
    But this is very strange, as you can see above from my post battle-test 1, i have no issues there. Please list again the exact used unit names from your battle-experience of Barrow Downs, so that i can replay that 1:1.
    Edit: ... and i have the question, what happens if you fight Rebels/Bandits (the hidden ones) with the same kind of force which you are using for Barrow Downs?
    --
    I'll also check added units via custom battle, as said they must cause a crash as well there, if they are not functionable for the battle mode.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 04, 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Eriador, custom battle test

...with solely added units (Grey Company bg, Greenway Guards bg (horse), Greenway Guards bg (foot), Armored Spearmen, Peasant Spearmen) for Eriador's recruitment roster.

...vs. Gundabad Orc/Rhudaur units.

Result: No issue, nothing.

As all such added units (which are clones of existing ones) have the same kind of code per type of unit (ie. merc or not merc type), they can't be the reason for battle-crashes, also not for the campaign battle mode.

Aringtoit, as dedicated SE player, you have certainly used added units such like the Beorning and possibly also the Dale Longbowmen and Dwarven Warriors (all those are clones of existing mercenary unit entries with changed ownerships, for certain recruitment rosters), is that right? And you got no battle-crash with them, as you reported above: no battle-crashes with SE. Those units have the same kind of code, and used as ZoR/AoR units for several good side factions for the campaign.

What's left is possibly since v1.80 added battle-related traits, although they fire as well for SE characters.

Aringtoit, it actually confuses me, that 1.98 Eriador battle crashes for you but not v1.80.
    I'll upload a traits file from a pre-1.95 stand, and beg you to test 1.98 once again (without any custom change!) with this traits file overwritten, you must start Eriador anew for this test-purpose, and fight again Barrow Downs in the same way which crashed for you. I'll attach the traits file to this post.

Done, it's traits file from v1.9.

And maybe there are other Eriador players out there with v1.98? If yes, please report about the Barrow Downs capture, with pure v1.98 applied.

Edit: Attachment removed, case obsolete.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 05, 2012 at 02:55 AM.

I downloaded it and I'll test it as soon as I can.

FYI--I started the Eriador campaign as I always do--take out the rebels to the west of Bree with Aragorn's unit alone. No crash. Haven't tried to fight a battle as Eriador after the Barrow Downs crash, so have no idea whether it's just related to Barrow Downs or not. I have no problem with custom battles btw.

OK, correction--just did a custom battle with 1.98 plus the new traits file. It crashed. Same with the Barrow Downs during new campaign I started with new traits file. Seems like it crashes just as the orcs are starting to break/rout in both custom and the campaign. Again--this didn't happen until about version 1.95.

Hope this helps. It's a damn good mod.

Patrician Artifex

Good god ... this is becoming more and more strange. I can't recreate your experiences.

- Fact is, when i play 1.98 (and every earlier version) Eriador and go for Barrow Downs, and also in my case the rebel Orc force routs, it doesn't crash.
    Question? Do you stop then, when the battle-victory message appears? Or do you kill them all? (I stop such battles when the victory message appears).
    Edit: What you can test as well, take the same force (or similar), and go for another settlement as Barrow Downs held by rebels.

- Custom battle Eriador faction, which units are used now, same as with Barrow Downs?
    Btw., the traits file has nothing to do there, doesn't fire for custom battles.

- Do you have the same experience now with other factions in custom battles, or only Eriador?

- Ok, so we know the culprit for your Barrow Downs experience has nothing to do with post-v1.90 traits file, that is important for me, so i know the current traits file battle-related changes are fully okay, as your Barrow Downs experience is the same with and without the last traits file stand.

Common question: What's the base you are using? Is it TATW 3.0 plus TATW 3.2 patch?
    And, did you any custom change? Did you fiddle with any world/map files, ie. the map.rwm file?
    Maybe, it could have to do with some basic settings, possibly even the cfg file(s), here (medieval2.preference.cfg) i have ie. disabled autosave (auto_save = 0), autosave is known for potential bugs - you must just manually save your game now and then.

---

At last (and maybe that is the best overall), i recommend to install everything from scratch: Remove TATW completely from your harddisk via Windows/Software application (where all your installed software is listed) and afterwards everything that is left (just in case, any TATW folders left?) manual removal, install TATW 3.2 (v3.0 plus 3.2 patch), run that, perhaps also try Barrow Downs with Eriador and perhaps also custom battles, first then, when everything seems to be okay with TATW 3.2, install a fresh downloaded TATW Realism+ v1.98 and repeat the things. I think it doesn't help now, that until v.1.94 or so, those issues didn't appear for you, there must be something wrong, basicly and just now.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 04, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Davinci, I reinstalled everything--m2tw, TATW and 1.98. Everything's working fine now. Must have been a bad file. Sorry for the headache!

Patrician Artifex

Nice to hear that

But, now i recently playtested Gondor ... and what happened with Gondor AoR (Dale/Rhovanion) units from Pelenor (the coastal city) vs. few Harad invaders? In the moment the enemy routs, the battle crashed (message: unspecific error) ... first time that it occurs for me that a battle crashed when the enemy routs. Formerly i had a battle with Mordor invaders with Gondor standard units (no AoR's), no crash, everything normal.
    No question, that made me nervous

I went into the edu file, and checked the added AoR units (again), i ammended some codes for these added merc units (officer line completely disabled and ownership things). Afterwards played a custom battle test successful with one AoR unit (Beorning, temporarily enabled for custom battle) vs. one Harad unit until they routed. And then also Gondor campaign again, i had then a similar battle situation with the same AoR units from above vs. Harad invader units, and then what happened? Stable battle ... no crash this time when the enemy routs ... so there is a chance that possibly certain edu codes can provoke battle crashes if merc units (added AoR) participate, and if so, i might have solved that now (and Aringtoit, if this what i experienced with Gondor's battle crash wasn't simply bad luck, then your battle-crash reports did have a positive purpose! And maybe it has also a positive affect regarding Paul Atreides' battle-crash reports due to Gondor reinforcement battles).

However, i'll upload v1.99 in a moment, which requires a new campaign start (as for other startsetting changes).
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 05, 2012 at 03:10 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.99 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

V 1.99 uploaded.

Please report about any crash issues, campaign and battle, criteria: Faction/enemy faction in-battle, units and characters (mention generals participation), turn and situation, message, reloadable, repeating.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 05, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Default Re: Third Age TW 3.2 Realism+ 1.99 | Gameplay Tweaks plus Good vs Evil Balancing including a special ZoR/AoR

So I wasn't going nuts!

Turns out I spoke too soon. I got battle crashes later on in the campaign (against the rebels outside of Fornost and the OoG while sieging Aithlin). Both times it crashed when most of their armies were routing. Aithlin involved reinforcing orc armies though so that might not count.

I'll try 1.99 when I can and let you know what happens.

Patrician Artifex

Btw., one of my last Gondor 1.99 campaign battle-tests included enemy reinforcements (Mordor) and both enemy armies routed, and it didn't crash.

---

I beg everybody who plays version 1.99 (not 1.98 anymore) to report about their experiences, if crashes occur or not, after the above mentioned criteria post #95, and requirement is v1.99 new campaign-start, and not a single custom change.

I need as much reports as possible.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 05, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Still getting crashes with 1.99 as Eriador. Had one at Barrow Downs again and one with the rebs outside of Fornost. Outside of Fornost there were no characters, just an "adopted" General, Dale swordsman, 1 unit of Peasant Spearmen, 1 unit of Armored Spearmen, 1 unit of Rangers, 1 unit of Ithilien Rangers and 1 unit of Heavy Merchant cav. This time it crashed before the enemy started routing. These are the only 2 battles I've fought so far. Going to try to install it again and see if that helps.

Hate to keep giving you bad news, but this is a good mod. Hope everything works out with it.

Hold off on my last post DaVinci. It might have been a bad install. Going to reinstall it again.

Reinstalled and still getting routing enemy crashes. This time Barrow Downs again. Units--Gandalf, Halbarad, 1 unit Dwarven Warriors, 1 unit Greenway Guards, 1 unit Spearman, 2 units Armored Spearmen, 1 unit Rangers, 1 unit Ithilien Rangers, 1 Unit Elven Archers, 1 unit Bandobros Archers, 1 unit Heavy Militia cav.