Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: TATW Realism+ /Final/ [TATW 3.2]

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Third Age TW Realism+ 2.4 (created for TATW 3.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Aringtoit View Post
    With the updates coming fast and furious, I've never had a chance to get past turn 80 something. As Eriador, I haven't faced Mordor yet.

In the latest versions, the OoG and OoMM seem tougher/more aggressive, but Isengard seems weaker. I like a tough Isengard. It's Lore accurate. In 2.3, I've taken North and South Tharbad and Duneard's wide open. Haven't been toggling FOW so I don't know what Isengard's doing with their troops. If Rohan's pressing them from the South, I don't know how Saruman survives for long (I'm on turn 54).

From an Eriador perspective, I think the OoG and OoMM are about right now. Imo, if any faction should be "gifted" regions, it should be Isengard. Their position on the map has always been the toughest for an evil faction (that's why Saruman was always getting killed early game in vanilla). Just my opinion.

Things are looking good though DaVinci. The mod's really shaping up well. I'll end my 2.3 campaign now and start 2.4...if you can keep it up, I can!
    Isengard:
    - They were really overpowered formerly, but you are right now with your observation for the very recent versions regarding Argond/Tharbad ... Dunland area.
    - The reason is because their heavily armed units (Uruk-Kai Infantry, Pike and Crossbow) are now only in Isengard available, the Orthanc was already anyway, but i also delayed their recruitment, point is if i don't do it, Rohan AI is doomed pretty soon (a no-go for me). Those units can't be matched by Rohan AI, if they appear as it was in earlier versions (and see also Rohan below).
    - I could increase at least Dunlending recruitment, so the border to Eriador is bit more dangerous as now for the Eriador player. If i do much more in this regard, you as Eriador player would have biggest problems vs OoG, OoMM and Isengard, even with the new militia recruitment for Eriador, just both Orc factions are now able to recruit far earlier "quality" units as in earlier versions ... while if one can manage to not fight with OoMM (or just first pretty late), then it is good feasable now to expand as Eriador player, also if Isengard attacks and OoG watches for your lands pretty quick ... and btw., Isengard sends their most heavy units also at me into Eriador, i actually wonder how the AI is doing it, but statistics say quick that Isengard is ruling financially, so the Isengard settlement itself can put out unit after unit, but just not anymore that quick and much their super-units).
    - Saruman can survive very very very long, the only way to kick Isengard down soon in the submod would be to play Rohan and take it just asap with all available craft, but then perhaps the Rohan player looses regions to Mordor in the same time.
    - If you wanna watch Isengard's units (where they are and act, just send out your spies).

Rohan:
    - Now the balance makes them at war again pretty soon with Mordor. Rohan even managed it to make peace with Isengard just as for war with Mordor.
    - They hold better now vs Isengard because see above point Isengard.

Eriador player (bold part):
    - You could face Mordor soon, if you act with Aragorn and Gandalf, where they are at the start (it's what i do), instead of going back to Eriador (as the AI does).
    - First i take the Limlight castle, act a bit in the area, also help Rohan vs. Mordor in some initial skirmishes, and then later ie. i conquered even Beorn Halls.
    - Else, see above point Isengard. And that's what i want: Eriador player ( me ) shall be able to turn into Arnor short after turn 100, or just even sooner, if he manages it to prepare Annuminas accordingly. And when it happens, Rohan and Gondor shall be alive still (also SE and Dwarves ... Dale most probably can't, HE have no real problems, as for their map position).

Region gifts:
    I like your suggestion with only Isengard. But for now i decided to only nerf Rhun in this regard, i'll disable the region gift for them completely to delay them vs Dale, which suffer at most/quickest in this submod, equal what i do balancing-wise for them (as of yet), and of course i don't want to overpowering Dale artificially with extreme changes.

But ... Rhun got now aleady (internal version) some unit stat nerfs as well, which are also necessary (and i even expect they remain the powerhouse and still overrun Dale).

---

As for the many updates:
    I want to have the submod finished very soon, as time is short in the next time, i just use/d a time-window for this submod. Actually i wanted to stop the submod latest this weekend, latest. So i'm sorry, but i think i'll release still today v2.45 (edit: a very maybe only, time is too short, do not expect it this weekend), and then the final v2.5 will come perhaps next weekend, as tomorrow and the whole upcoming is no time available for playtesting/modding.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 06, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Third Age TW Realism+ 2.45 (created for TATW 3.2)

Update v2.45 uploaded.

Contains balancing according to the above mentioned spots.

Edit: So this version is really pre-final. Please provide me again some according hints along your campaign experience, that i can finalize the finetuning for the special balance of this submod.
    You'll have enough time now, i won't touch v2.45 for a good time.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 07, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Downloading 2.45 now.

2.4 is looking good. The OoG can't be taken down as quickly because there's a big garrison in Carn Doom. I'm fighting a 2 front war now against Isengard and the OoG. Had a pyhric victory against Isengard outside of Duneard against dome GOOD units (their Pikemen and Uruk Hai are tough). Almost lost Gandalf! I'm on turn 59 now and still have to take out the OoG to become Arnor. Still a way off.

Just a suggestion--let us have a little more time to get deeper into a campaign before you release 2.5 if that's the final. This way we can give you a better idea of the whole picture.

Heptagenia's Avatar Civis

Downloading 2.45 now.

Just a suggestion--let us have a little more time to get deeper into a campaign before you release 2.5 if that's the final. This way we can give you a better idea of the whole picture.

Edit:I must say excellent mod
    Last edited by Heptagenia; October 08, 2012 at 01:19 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Downloading 2.45 now.

2.4 is looking good. The OoG can't be taken down as quickly because there's a big garrison in Carn Doom. I'm fighting a 2 front war now against Isengard and the OoG. Had a pyhric victory against Isengard outside of Duneard against dome GOOD units (their Pikemen and Uruk Hai are tough). Almost lost Gandalf! I'm on turn 59 now and still have to take out the OoG to become Arnor. Still a way off.

Then prepare Eriador for more stressing stuff in v2.45.
    You asked for more power (again) for Isengard, that's the case in 2.45

And yes, 2.45 stays actually for longer, as i said in my "edit" release post above.
    I'll explicitely wait for your experience reports before i touch the submod again for v2.5, and not only one or two reports.

Eriador vs Isengard battles: You'll have actually to apply a lot of tactical action and cleverness to win such battles, where Isengard deploys its heavy Uruk-Hai units. Use archers to soften them up, and then mobility of them, plus especially mobility of your cavalry, and the morale and steadiness of your infantry to fix Isengard's forces, and (ie. at least one) ballista/s help to reduce the heavy Isengard stuff from far. The consistence of your forces is very important here.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 08, 2012 at 02:50 PM.

"Eriador vs Isengard battles: You'll have actually to apply a lot of tactical action and cleverness to win such battles, where Isengard deploys its heavy Uruk-Hai units."

Good!

Just starting 2.45 now.

Hey DaVinci,

Started 2.45. Everything's going fine but there were Eldar Archers in an Isengard stack that was attacking me. Should they be there??

It's looking good though!

Patrician Artifex

Hey DaVinci,

Started 2.45. Everything's going fine but there were Eldar Archers in an Isengard stack that was attacking me. Should they be there??

It's looking good though!
    Bribed certainly by Grima (Isengard's diplomat), he is pretty active with bribe-trials, and Isengard is obviously rich enough to pay ... once i left Aragorns Dwarven and Elven compagnions alone at Helms-Deep to help Rohan in case of an Hornburg-attack, and they were bribed by this diplomat.

And no, Isengard can't recruit Elven Eldar's, nor any other Elvens, but Rohan can recruit Eldar Archers in Helms-Deep (very very rarely, as lore-proper reinforcement), and that's probably the area where the unit was bribed (took away Rohan's nearly best foot unit with this act ...evil power ).

Edit: Possibly, to avoid such a bribe, i could make this special Elven-Rohan unit a character-recruitment (general) for final v2.5, issue is only that he (the general) would get a Rohan-like name and general model, not an Elven-name and general model, but this is perhaps better than to see Elvens fighting for Isengard. Alternative via scripting, i could spawn such Elven unit only when Helms-Deep is sieged.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 09, 2012 at 12:27 PM.

It was Wormtongue! Damn him.

No problem with him being able to bribe. I kind of like that in fact. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a glitch. Thanks.

Patrician Artifex

Right, Wormtongue ... confused with Grima.

i was wondering how come i can't upgrade by smiths past a leather tanner, the only time i can udpgrade past a leather tanner is in a citadel or huge city.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by skullripper View Post
    i was wondering how come i can't upgrade by smiths past a leather tanner, the only time i can udpgrade past a leather tanner is in a citadel or huge city.
    Yupp, not a bug or something, belongs to the submod design. Background is that smith-armour upgrades disbalance the battle-mode (and the basic edu/combat settings), especially the higher tiers, so the option is reduced to recruitment-centers/main settlements, and they require a metal resource in the region - generates in result for AI and player nearly same abilities in this regard, but or especially factions with metal resources have a "natural" advantage (ie. Dwarves).
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM.

Default Re: TATW Realism+ 2.45 [TATW 3.2]

I finally got to this submod today, and I can say that I adore it. I tried a few turns as Gondor and love the new recruitment, although it bugs me at turn 2 AI Aragorn is always killed by Isengard while trying to move to Eriador.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Ecthelion II View Post
    I finally got to this submod today, and I can say that I adore it. I tried a few turns as Gondor and love the new recruitment,...
    Nice to hear.

...although it bugs me at turn 2 AI Aragorn is always killed by Isengard while trying to move to Eriador.
    Are you sure about that (did you observe that with toggle_fow, or how?), very strange at least ... never ever happened in my many campaign-tests as a non-Eriador faction, incl. Gondor. Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas, if steered by AI, always went back into their faction regions, alive and kicking.
    Also, in turn 2, Isengard AI shouldn't really be able to kill Aragorn with his two attached units (Elves and Dwarves), and Aragorn himself starts with a huge load of hitpoints, besides his strong Grey Company bg's (no starting unit of Isengard, or with turn 2, is normally strong enough via autocalc). I'll check that out once more in a next test as Gondor, because that would bug me, too.
    However, if you are sure and have observed that (with toggle_fow), reasons could be: Another camp-difficulty (and battle-difficulty) as the recommended one which is M or ie. custom-changes for the starting faction-standing (because Eriador is not at war with Isengard at start nor in turn 2, except Isengard's few starting units and few recruited ones with turn 2 would attack indeed Aragorn's little army when passing through Isengard's regions).
    Edit: What i assume is that you only believe that Aragorn died in turn 2 because you see the message "Eriador's king died" in turn 2 (which is not about Aragorn's death, just play Eriador and you'll see).
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 14, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Well, at turn 2 "The King of Eriador is dead" happens. Or is that just an event replacing the leader?

Patrician Artifex

Well, at turn 2 "The King of Eriador is dead" happens. Or is that just an event replacing the leader?
    So it is, see my edit above ... you responded while i edited still.

Oh, I posted one minute before you edited. Heh! Also, why can't I build a Town Watch/later tiers in West Osgiliath? It's not built already either.

Patrician Artifex

Oh, I posted one minute before you edited. Heh! Also, why can't I build a Town Watch/later tiers in West Osgiliath? It's not built already either.
    Basicly it needs the large_barracks event message, this is for all higher tier barracks the case (it's a TATW vanilla requirement which i haven't touched).
    As for the both Osgiliath settlements, the Gondor and also the Mordor player shall not be able to spam units instantly, i guess, that's the reason why there are no barracks at start and as well the lore-background of the Osgiliath "ruins".

And in detail, for certain settlements, i would need to look into the tech-tree, if West-Osgiliath requires something special, can't remember now ... i'll take a look soon.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 15, 2012 at 03:55 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Possible unit addition for final version 2.5

I have permission from danova to use any material from The Last Kingdom (TLK) mod.

You guys perhaps can check the excellent TLK mod out to make a few unit suggestions, ie. 3 additional units, ie. good Men faction or evil Men "subfaction" (ie. Dunlendings- or Rhudaur-like) or mixed for the TATW Realism+ submod.
    Please, if you do so, propose the TLK model and an according role/name/faction for the TATW Realism+ submod, if possible with "authentic" lore-background, or just at least a lore-plausible addition.
    Consider possible recruitment gaps in rosters or regions (just not a unit-role/faction, which is already there).
    Possible is also, that i replace some TATW unit models such as the ones from the rebel/slave faction with TLK models and/or that i add the one or other merc-pool unit.

Besides units, i might implement the one or other TLK building (for the tech-tree alone though, not 3d), currently i think of immersion-increasing items like hill-graveyards (which are a theme in the Tolkien lore) - also here you can make (other) suggestions.

By all that, see also, those additions shall not shake drastically the current achieved balance.

Edit: Before you think "oh, i wanna play/playtest v2.45 for a good time prior to final v2.5" (as discussed in some posts above), don't worry there is a lot of time, my RL hinders me to put out v2.5 in forseeable time, it'll take actually quite some time, and i'll probably wait for some according proposals and anyway for v2.45 experience-reports.

(And btw., for historical-realism mod interested ones from the TLK period (Viking invasion vs. Alfred the Great period on the british isles), there is a TLK submod created by me calling 'The Danelag').
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 15, 2012 at 04:12 PM.

if you make a dunland faction i have some suggestions for dunland units (probably base on germania and gaul from rtw)

1. dunland beserkers(two handed maul maybe ), dunland savages (2 handed axes), Dunland hill skirmishers+archers (savage looking skirmishers and archers)