Thread: This game is currently unavailable (Application running) - STEAM problem.

Default This game is currently unavailable (Application running) - STEAM problem.

What it says in the title. I cannot start medieval 2, kingdoms or for that matter any of the mods anymore on steam. There are no mtw2 -related .exes running in the applications list and the launcher quits after attempting to start the game as it should. I first had this after I installed this mod on steams mtw2 gold. I started TATW once, it crashed on campaign select and I couldnt start it again because of the said error. I couldnt find anything definitive on the internet, but installed a third party launcher, since some people had had launcher trouble and I was fumbling in the dark on this matter. I could start the game again and start a campaign with the custom launcher... once. Then the said error appeared again with no mtw2 .exes on the programs list. Desperate, I uninstalled TATW and MTW2, reinstalling mtw2 after that (without the custom launcher). The problem persists.

Steam troubleshooting hasnt helped either, so I turn to the wise men (and women) of this forum for help.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: This game is currently unavailable (Application running) - STEAM problem.

Sounds like something is really messed up. Delete and uninstall everything. You may have to uninstall Steam too.

Then reinstall and follow the Steam specific installation instructions. If you're running Windows 7 or Vista disable UAC.

1. Install all parts of the mod as instructed above.
    2. Open "Steam/Steamapps/Common/Medieval II Total War/mods". There you
    will find all your installed Kingdoms campaigns as well as the
    "Third_Age_3" modfolder.
    3. Edit the name of one of the Kingdoms folders (americas, britannia,
    crusades, teutonic), preferably your least favorite campaign. The new
    name doesn't have to be anything specific.
    4. Change the name of the "Third_Age_3" folder to the former name of the
    Kingdoms folder you just edited. For example, if you edited the
    "americas" folder, the "Third_Age_3" folder should be named "americas".
    5. Select the appropriate campaign from the steam menu. If you renamed
    the "Third_Age_3" folder to "americas", select the americas campaign. If you
    named it "crusades", select the crusades campaign and so on.
    6. Steam will now launch the mod.

If you have installed 3.0 or 3.1 and renamed your folders before you have installed the 3.2 Patch:
    - If you have already renamed the "Third_Age_3" folder to one of your 'Kingdoms' campaigns (for example to "americas") install the patch normally.
    - After the installation, move the files of the newly created "Third_Age_3" folder to the renamed folder manually.
    (For example cut the content of the "text" folder from the newly created "Third_Age_3" folder and paste it into the "text" folder of your "americas" folder.)
    Note : The "models_missile" folder has to be copied to the normal ".../Medieval II Total War/data" folder!
    - The "Third_Age" folder can now be deleted.

Alternatively you can use the Kingdoms Launcher App.

Default Re: This game is currently unavailable (Application running) - STEAM problem.

Well UAC hasnt had a say in anything for years. I just finished reinstalling vanilla Kingdoms. No luck whatsoever, the problem persists. Also I did as the install instructions said. I tend to read them before doing anything. Installed both 3.0 parts right and then patched the mod, finishing with the renaming of the mod folders (since I didnt have that custom launcher at the time). I'd really like to find some possible solutiong OTHER than reinstalling steam, since I have something like 40 games installed at the moment. Many of them heavily modded.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

You say vanilla M2TW and Kingdoms don't work either?

You could try asking for help in the General M2TW tech help forums. Perhaps someone there will have more experience with Steam than me and have a solution for you.

I'm going to post this here since I'm still not sure if the mod is entirely innocent. I deleted the clientregistry.blob and it seemed to have done the trick. I could start the Americas campaign twice without problem. I installed TATW after that correctly and this time installed the launcher app mentioned in your post instead of renaming folders. The problem reappeared and I didnt manage to start a single TATW game.

Press CTRL+Del and go to processing, and end steam. This happens to me every second time I start up M2TW and its mods. Sometimes when I press on Kingdoms, I receive that message, but then I just press on the Medieval II total war and it works. Sometime its the other way around. Refreshing the computer also does the trick for me sometimes.

Well that appears to be some sort of a solution for now. Funny that it didnt work before I deleted the clientregistry.blob -file. I'd still like to be able to avoid the error completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rectunator View Post
    Well that appears to be some sort of a solution for now. Funny that it didnt work before I deleted the clientregistry.blob -file. I'd still like to be able to avoid the error completely.
    Save few bucks and get yourself a M2TW Gold Edition non steam.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.