Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Rome 2 have individualized legions?

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Will Rome 2 have individualized legions?

I was only talking about the ability you obtain by levelling up your unit but again you start the poor fanboy stuff

Please someone stop him this is becoming dull.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; August 03, 2012 at 08:38 AM.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Yeah, life is unbalanced, and the historical game should reflect reality as much as possible, except you can bet all the "k" on your name that it wont. There's bound to be some balance in the game based on the fact it's a game. There's one thing when we talk about historic realism and accuracy and another completely different to talk about gameplay mechanics that while must be as close as fidelity as possible you can bet they wont.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Yeah, life is unbalanced, and the historical game should reflect reality as much as possible, except you can bet all the "k" on your name that it wont. There's bound to be some balance in the game based on the fact it's a game. There's one thing when we talk about historic realism and accuracy and another completely different to talk about gameplay mechanics that while must be as close as fidelity as possible you can bet they wont.

a guy can hope though.

most likely well get a similar balancing system to Shogun 2 (rock,paper,scissors, anyone?), unless they surprise us.

hochmeister devin's Avatar Senator

If spear cavalry get +15 vs cavalry or traraii get +25 i will cry.
    My mods
    -Mod Leader for the Wheel Of Time This is not the beginning, but it is a beginning
    -Mod Leader for Shogun 2: Foreign Invasion if you want a mod with alot of units this is for you, not only is there the 40 units CA made theres planned to be atleast 177 NEW units when its done.
    -Modder in the World War I and Shogun II project. The only full scale mod for FOTS and it plays nothing like FOTS. FOTS may have Gatling guns, WW1&S2 has tekidanto samurai, SNLF, MGs, kisho snipers, assault infantry(shotguns) just to name a few.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by akkakk View Post
    Hopefully they'll give us the ability to make our legions as uniform or as non-uniform as we want, and also give various advantages and disadvantages to different weapons used.

For example, using a spear, you have range advantages, and great piercing damage, but you're disadvantages in close quarters, siege assaults etc unless in close formation and/or drilled.
    Spear advatage is ridiclious, why not just draw sword in combat!? (RSII and SPQR mod at least)
    But uniform idea is great! "no uniform" ability would give lets say 1/7 soldiers armor, and "full uniform" would give 8/9 best possible armor and rest some basic. And for segmetanta legions "no uniform" would give 1/7 segmetanta, and "full uniform" 7/10 loriga segmetanta (it was not that widely as many think)
    EDIT: forgot best part: Cost are increased/decreased
    Last edited by TheRomanRuler; August 03, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

For example, Barbarian vets would have low discipline but astonishingly high morale due to being fanatical/drunk/drugged up/whipped into a frenzy/bloodlust and wouldn't break easily which would make for a good fight against the Romans as the Romans have extreme discipline but less numbers (per unit) and maybe (depending on experience) less morale.
    Hahaha. I allways asking me if you be just ironic or do you mean all this stuff serious? Drunken Master hä?

Did you know that the greek hoplites drunk wine before battle and the roman legionaries most likely too? He was not that strong and pure than wine today but it hat a lot of advantages for battle

Proud to be a real Prussian.

STELLover's Avatar Senator

Actually, i would be real happy if CA copied every single aspect of the RSII mod............ with the graphical and gameplay improvements of the new engine of course

EDIT: Oops, somebody already said that..

ROME 2 Mod: More Cities and Settlements on Campaign Map:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194761024

Quote Originally Posted by TheRomanRuler View Post
    And for segmetanta legions "no uniform" would give 1/7 segmetanta, and "full uniform" 7/10 loriga segmetanta (it was not that widely as many think)

people keep saying this but the legionnaires wore what the centurions told them to wear (who in turn were told by the General).

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    Hahaha. I allways asking me if you be just ironic or do you mean all this stuff serious? Drunken Master hä?

Did you know that the greek hoplites drunk wine before battle and the roman legionaries most likely too? He was not that strong and pure than wine today but it hat a lot of advantages for battle
    the Romans/Greeks only had mild wine, because that was probably what they were allowed.

From many first hand accounts (not sure how accurate these are but anyway), the Barbarian troops usually whipped themselves up into a frenzy before a battle using a mixture of drink and drugs.

remember, they didnt care about fighting together as a unit, they fought as individuals, unlike the Romans and Greeks.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

people keep saying this but the legionnaires wore what the centurions told them to wear (who in turn were told by the General).
    Well perhaps when it goes over 7/10 having segmetanta cost would be 15% increased for rest?
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Even when told to wear specific armor sets by the centurion, there's a chance there where not equipment for all, or that each legionary did not have the required equipment. I wouldn't mind terribly the occasional guy with mail among the segmentata dudes and so on.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

On the one hand I want to see individualization between units. On the other, I want to see my beautiful armies, all in he segmentata, marching in unison towards the enemy.

the Romans/Greeks only had mild wine, because that was probably what they were allowed.

From many first hand accounts (not sure how accurate these are but anyway), the Barbarian troops usually whipped themselves up into a frenzy before a battle using a mixture of drink and drugs.

remember, they didnt care about fighting together as a unit, they fought as individuals, unlike the Romans and Greeks.
    Thats why i sad the wine was not that strong than today and with water.

But nice to know about the barbarians. Embeddet Journalism 100 BC?

Quote Originally Posted by STELLover View Post
    Actually, i would be real happy if CA copied every single aspect of the RSII mod............ with the graphical and gameplay improvements of the new engine of course

EDIT: Oops, somebody already said that..
    Great minds, almost word for word
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

I sure hope that other factions than Rome will also be able to receive traits for their armies, since while most of them may not have had standing armies such as Rome the fact is that all factions in this game will have a standing army and therefore it would make sense that if you for example play as Sparta you could have an army and you press form army just as the Romans form a legion, then when you win several great victories or suffer serious defeats you would receive traits just as an legion would.

Since it would really be such a shame limiting such a great feature such as this by only limiting it to the Romans, since in reality most armies of the age that had some experience were known for different traits. However I certainly wouldn't mind if the Roman legions could acquire more traits and certain unique ones since it is after all Rome Total War.

I could definitely see the Greek successor states having a similar system. Carthage and the tribes north of Italy could do it as well. From a gameplay perspective it would be a bad idea to limit it to Romans (or limit it by faction in any way).

@ Pistolero Pete. How great would it be to have a raising levy system like in paradox games for war and reactions of the own population when a war would be to long or in the own country ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    @ Pistolero Pete. How great would it be to have a raising levy system like in paradox games for war and reactions of the own population when a war would be to long or in the own country ?
    I dunno really, I have played Paradox games for years but one of the defining things with the Total war series is that you have a standing army that you fight with and I quite honestly prefer it that way since you really start caring about the different units of your army.

However a system for war exhaustion would be great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12