Thread: Old kings of MTW...

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Old kings of MTW...

Which is the oldest king you ever saw in MTW? (Or anything that runs upon that engine).

I don't know about you guys but below is definitely the oldest king I ever saw in MTW - this without any cheating or editing involved... 90 mighty years... Any contenders? Any other stuff about old kings found in this stubborn 'ol game? I have had a few rare kings in MTW about 75-80 but nowhere near 90 - that is until now...

Any thoughts on this?

- A

Default Re: Old kings of MTW...

Hi Axalon

What were you feeding that guy!?

Ninety easily beats the oldest I can remember seeing which was late seventies - I can remember thinking at the time, 'Wow, this one's lasted twenty years more than the death trigger age', or something along those lines.

Your chap brings to mind Jean Parisot de la Valette, the Grand Master of the Knights Hospitaller of Malta at the time of the Great Siege (1565). He was around seventy years old then and, according to accounts I have read, fought like a demon - hand to hand with the Turks on the battlements. He had an incredibly 'colourful' career. Undoubtedly a great warrior. Normally I'd take stories of such feats of strength and bravery by an old man with a pinch of salt, but in La Valette's case I suspect there is much truth in these accounts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Parisot_de_la_Valette

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Wow, Axalon. In my own Norse campaign, Ottar I made it to late seventies, and I thought that was old! I've had five Ottars since then (current king: Ottar VI), and none of them has lived to ninety.

In none of the Total War games I've played have my Kings exceeded the age of 75. By the time they reach the 50 mark I am preparing for their "unexpected" death. I envy you guys, having the privilege of such of wise elder leadership.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    I envy you guys, having the privilege of such of wise elder leadership.
    Hi Atheniandp

Not only does Axlon nurture longevity, he somehow manages to avoid the curse of idiocy that infests the DNA of my royal lines.

Generally speaking, my kings are drooling retards within a couple of generations of kick off.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Quote Originally Posted by VictorGB View Post
    Hi Atheniandp

Not only does Axlon nurture longevity, he somehow manages to avoid the curse of idiocy that infests the DNA of my royal lines.

Generally speaking, my kings are drooling retards within a couple of generations of kick off.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Perhaps you're arranging too many incestuous marriages?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Hi guys, check this out...

I honestly thought 90 was really ridiculously old. That is until I stumbled upon what turned out to be the Lombard granddaddy of age - 103... Yup 103, I basically thought it was impossible to go beyond a 100 - MTW (redux) obviously proved me wrong. Anyway, interesting link about da old hospitaller Victor - I wanted to rep you for it but apparently you were the last one I reped and so it is a no go (this time anyways). Other then that, I don't have clue what I have been feeding these guys... Um... Mead and juicy virgins? At any rate, so far the record stands at...

AI-king: 103 years (faction: Lombards. From reemerging at 70's something)
    Player king: 90 years (faction: Norse. Standard play circumstances)

Any other entries or comments on this?

- A

He must be a vampyre. If you decide to go to battle with him I recommend to equip your soldiers with garlic, mirrors (or shiny armour) and a wooden stake. Swords are of little use, blunt weapons will hold him at bay. Remember to attack only in the day and never when he is with his children of the night. Remember, he is probably polygamous so beware of his seductive whore-wives and most importantly remember that he will strike your princesses and/or wife, where you are most vulnerable.

I got the sassanid king in Barbarian Invasion to live till 104 years, its was Shapur still (the king at the start) I dont think this counts but, oh well, persian virgins seen to be a good remedy against age...

Well before installing the patch for MTW my kings all died of age 56.
    Have never noticed any king becoming extremely old during all my various TW campaigns.

@AntonioBarbarian: How have you managed this. Have you sent him in many battles against the Romans and Barbarians? Or was he merely a governor. I am just interested if this influences the age.

p.s. when talking about other games I hated my Empire:TW campaign as Spain. The starting king Carlos II. celebrates at least his 60th birthday regularly. With his bad traits influencing my whole politics it would be much better when this crippled Austro-Spanish (incest)fool would die at his historical age of 38 years. Too bad that honorable deaths during battles are not possible anymore in the enlightened era ...

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Hi guys, check this out...

I honestly thought 90 was really ridiculously old. That is until I stumbled upon what turned out to be the Lombard granddaddy of age - 103... Yup 103, I basically thought it was impossible to go beyond a 100 - MTW (redux) obviously proved me wrong. Anyway, interesting link about da old hospitaller Victor - I wanted to rep you for it but apparently you were the last one I reped and so it is a no go (this time anyways). Other then that, I don't have clue what I have been feeding these guys... Um... Mead and juicy virgins? At any rate, so far the record stands at...

AI-king: 103 years (faction: Lombards. From reemerging at 70's something)
    Player king: 90 years (faction: Norse. Standard play circumstances)

Any other entries or comments on this?

- A
    Hi Axalon

Thanks for the intended rep.

OMG! You really have found the Methuselah of MTW.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Hi guys,

Some vampire-rep for Atheniandp, and then some imaginary pink hospitaller-rep for Victor (apparently it is still a no go for real rep so that will have to do, sorry Victor). There, the deed is done. Everything is so much better now....

Quote Originally Posted by AntonioBarbarian View Post
    I got the sassanid king in Barbarian Invasion to live till 104 years, its was Shapur still (the king at the start) I dont think this counts but, oh well, persian virgins seen to be a good remedy against age...
    That's impressive but it is still RTW-stuff... Which um... No offence... Is another game altogether and thus has its own section (for that very reason I imagine). This is about MTW and not TW in general. So, lets keep things focused on MTW here and leave all other stuff and games for their respective sections. Which should be obvious anyways.

Any other comments or entries on this?

- A

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Hi, Axalon. I don't know much about the REDUX magic but for sure I want to transfer one of this kings into my campaign. Mine faction leaders are dying around 56-60 years every time. And by the way I know that your king is from China or Japan. There you can see such old mans looking like 50 years old "boys".

Recently, I found (stumbled upon) this interesting claim...

Quote Originally Posted by Goodridge
    ...but if your ruler is put in a crusade they cannot die of old age / illness. Emperor Conrad of the HRE is at close to 130! I stopped playing that game cause it was really dragging on, but he likely would have kept going for the rest of the game.
    Now, if true - as I have not had the time to test it - I invite anybody to try it out, test it and report back here with their finds/results on this stuff. If true, we will simply have too create yet another category in this thread, and add that to the two already existing on this topic - AI-king and player king (both without any crusades involved, of course). The third category then being say "crusaded king" due to the outlined circumstances (in the event that they - the claims - are true).

Its possible that this might be limited to certain versions like V.1.1, for instance. I don't know yet...

- A

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quite possible for the first one, that king must be drinken a lot of mead and eating a lot of healthy fish.

The other one in post #7, nah I don't think so, but who knows for sure. It's a just a game isn't it.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

I was always taught that "juicy virgins" were more nutritious then "healthy fish". Especially when combined with lots of mead! But who can tell these days, them damned scientists are always changing their minds on what is healthy!

- A

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

But fish is healthly, we should definitely know (eat at least one Sill and drink heavily) don't we.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

How do you edit the kings so they don't die at 56?

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I wish I had a screenshot. My inbred king who did nothing his entire life other than sit in the capital (and only became king because his two brothers died in battle), lived to the ripe old age of 81.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius_Magnus View Post
    How do you edit the kings so they don't die at 56?
    Um... None of "my" kings posted here was edited in any way... I don't think any other king (mentioned by others) was either? In general, try to keep your ruler/king ever busy - especially around 50-60 years old...

- A