Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Faction - River Zora

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Faction - River Zora

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGohma View Post
    Hm... does this mean we'll be seeing different play style for other factions besides Stalfos Hordes and River Zora?
    So far just the River Zora and the Stalfos are planned for having no starting settlements or a means of building things. Stalfos will earn units depending on what faction they defeated in a battle, finally confirmed to be possible: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=562131

I really want to do something new with the Twili but I first need to find a way to change climates based on what cities they capture.

Avatar of the Ice Wolf's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    Stalfos will earn units depending on what faction they defeated in a battle, finally confirmed to be possible
    Now I wish to play a campaign as Stalfos.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria
    East: Nerise - Kiril

GoldenGohma's Avatar Civis

Well, my actual point was if we can use scripts to make Gohma Queens create larva during campaign. Or, as I suggested in the Gohma dev topic, could scripts be used to add a barracks to gohma-built forts to allow them to make more gohma?

Though I doubt that you wouldn't have already done so if it wasn't possible.

Arise, my army!

There's probably no point now... but what the heck, found another piece of awesome River Zora fanart:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So, i just beat a quick Short campaign as the "Normal" Zora to unlock the River Zora, and they didn't unlock for me. Are they supposed to be unlockable in this version, or are they just in Custom battles for now?

Says they're unlocked once the first six are finished, meaning you got 5 more to go.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnr839 View Post
    So, i just beat a quick Short campaign as the "Normal" Zora to unlock the River Zora, and they didn't unlock for me. Are they supposed to be unlockable in this version, or are they just in Custom battles for now?
    They are only in custom battles right now. The River Zoras require a massive, massive amount of scripting for their troop recruitment method to work (to give an impression, every unit they have needs a block of code for every single settlement in the game). Because I have an even more amount of massive work due for my other projects, I just released this version of HTW before spending 3 months finishing the River Zora campaign.

Wow... that's gonna be a pain. I guess we won't be seeing the Stalfos get the same treatment.

Anyway, people have been trying to come up with some animals the River Zora may employ in battle... how about these guys? Except of course with four fully functional hopping legs, like their mommy (who could easily be the River Zora's Answer to King Dodongo).

I like that idea! :

They are only in custom battles right now. The River Zoras require a massive, massive amount of scripting for their troop recruitment method to work (to give an impression, every unit they have needs a block of code for every single settlement in the game). Because I have an even more amount of massive work due for my other projects, I just released this version of HTW before spending 3 months finishing the River Zora campaign.
    So, mind explaining why the Geozards have a shield value of 0?

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Serkol View Post
    Wow... that's gonna be a pain. I guess we won't be seeing the Stalfos get the same treatment..
    Recruiting units from victories is actually much easier. You only need one block of code for every faction in the game that they can steal corpses from. I could probably get the Stalfos working in about an hour give or take.

Oh... great then! But what about units that are not associated to any faction? (Like, I assume, the Redead)

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

There is a way to make the "River Zoras" fully playable in the campaign without doing all that work. You just give the "siege building" every unit.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    There is a way to make the "River Zoras" fully playable in the campaign without doing all that work. You just give the "siege building" every unit.
    Yes it is possible to make them playable in the current version, but their unique game style in non functional (summoning troops from rivers instead of cities).

Given that they summon units from the rivers instead of producing them, will the river zora have access to naval units?

Also, may I suggest a zola-equivalent to the goron bomb throwers? In this case instead of throwing bomb flowers they instead throw, or rather toss, live bombfish at their enemies.

On a different note, I found some rather interesting concept art for the Twilight Princess zoras. Apparently they were going for a more "realistic" appearance from what I can tell, but I noticed that the design on the right bore the coloration and similar head-fins of the river zoras of earlier games. Perhaps the designers had intended to make a halfway point between river and sea zoras?

Quote Originally Posted by Nergali View Post
    Given that they summon units from the rivers instead of producing them, will the river zora have access to naval units?
    Maybe naval isn't the right word, I don't really see them building ships. More like waterborne.
    Ultimately I would hope for most civilized factions to have acquatic units. It doesn't seem natural to have coast and not be able to sail your troops along it and to territories not adjacent to yours. But if that was possible, then you would also want a way to stop it from happening indiscriminately, which leads to naval combat.
    I certainly don't wish for it to become prevalent, because bnaval combat sucks in this game as it is autoresolved... but still, it should be there.

Also, may I suggest a zola-equivalent to the goron bomb throwers? In this case instead of throwing bomb flowers they instead throw, or rather toss, live bombfish at their enemies.
    I like that idea a lot! They are apparently natural (not manmade) and they fit the faction's theme perfectly!

On a different note, I found some rather interesting concept art for the Twilight Princess zoras. Apparently they were going for a more "realistic" appearance from what I can tell, but I noticed that the design on the right bore the coloration and similar head-fins of the river zoras of earlier games. Perhaps the designers had intended to make a halfway point between river and sea zoras?
    That's actually what I was thinking of when I wrote the witches for Zoras in my agents thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Serkol View Post
    Zora - Witch of the Deep
    Similarly to the Gerudo, some Zoras who wish to practice true magic unbidden by their kin will at times isolate themselves in the depths of the sea. Spending their life under the pressure of so much water and warped by the magic powers they sought, their bodies change in strange ways, more often than not to hideous effects. Sprouting tentacles, shark teeth, transparent skin and flesh and the Gods know what else, they can hardly be identified as having once been Zoras. It is very unlikely for such creatures to ever return to the surface, but if they do, they probably have some purpose guiding them.

the topic of naval combats should be its own thread. but you could do it like other games. like in Samurai warriors. you are a hero in that game, and the battle is a bunch of ships boarding each other. could make a custom settlement that looks like ships on the sea, that have rammed each other, or some thing else like that.

Except it would never move from that one spot. And it would be possible to occupy it.

neph has made battle maps that you can only fight in if your army is in a certain region. so if not a custom settlement. maybe a map of the open sea. and ships being huge units that have the elephant style of program, that let it have multiple riders that attack. that is one way of doing it. but there may be better ways.

the army could go piggyback. and not be in the fight. besides land solders wore not know to fare so well on a ship, The movie Red Cliff, is a good example. [its beast on a true historical battle, in china] the massive army of Chu-Chu 800,000, could not attack the Armies of the South land, when they at first arrived, do to the Soldiers, not handling the voyage on ship so well, most were sea sick and weary of the travel.
    we could use the same excuse for the land armies not to fight on deck. and have a ship to ship fight.

any different Ideas, counter examples or excuse that may be of help to the naval combat idea. would be helpful.

You're equivocating the problem: when a battle occurs at sea, it is autoresolved. No alternative is given.
    Your idea of a city in the middle of the seacould have gotten around that problem, but it would have created others as said in my previous post.
    This other idea? It's completely unfeaseble, unless the game is reprogrammed NOT to autoresolve naval battle and that would probably requirre assembly hacking.