Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms of the Isles - Old Previews

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: The Kingdoms of the Isles - The First Preview

Looks awesome. But no Norway?
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

This mod looks amazing, I can't wait to play it. The realism is fantastic! Will the turns be taken in 6month intervals? It'll take years for English in the south to march up to Scotland.

Loving this mod, cant wait. One thing, for the 1st campaign, if its going into the 1400's through to the 1500's could you have a welsh uprsing, similar to the William wallace one, in 1400 by Owain Glyndwr. Despite what many people believe, it was a major uprising which gave the English a right run around, and was nver actually put down by the english. It was very sucessfull in its sphere, and Glyndwr was a good general. It also wouldnt hurt to give wales a bit of a retexture and add some units, maybe some french mercs

Quote Originally Posted by Sthenelus View Post
    One thing, for the 1st campaign, if its going into the 1400's through to the 1500's could you have a welsh uprsing, similar to the William wallace one, in 1400 by Owain Glyndwr.
    Scripting events so far from the start of the campaign is a bad idea in my opinion. The state of affairs that the event would coincide with is too unpredictable and it could happen completely out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Aéd Liath View Post
    It'll take years for English in the south to march up to Scotland.
    Movement rates will be greatly increased to match the size of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by helmersen View Post
    Looks awesome. But no Norway?
    Norway played no significant part in British history during the period of our mod.
    Last edited by The Bruce; April 06, 2010 at 07:26 PM.

Owain Glyndwr leading an uprising wouldnt be out of context no matter the situation with wales. The reason he rebelled was because he had a personal falling out with Lord Grey of Ruthin, and the English King backed Grey, its not like William Wallace who rose up due to Scottish repression. Wesh nationalsim was a result of Glyndwr not the cause

Owain Glyndwr leading an uprising wouldnt be out of context no matter the situation with wales. The reason he rebelled was because he had a personal falling out with Lord Grey of Ruthin, and the English King backed Grey, its not like William Wallace who rose up due to Scottish repression. Wesh nationalsim was a result of Glyndwr not the cause

What if by the 1400s Wales is a thriving independent Kingdom? What if Wales has in fact been conquered by another faction such as France or Ireland?

Whilst I am an in favour of scripting rebellions based on certain conditions, a Welsh army just appearing on the map based on a historic date rather than on the actual state of the campaign could lead to some nonsensical situations.
    Last edited by The Bruce; April 07, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

If wales was a thriving kingdom then Owain Glyndwr would still of been a noble and may still have had a feud with another Lord. Owain led an army against Ruthin not because he had any sence of welsh nationalism but purely because some land was taken off him by Lord De Grey. Whatever the situaion, Owain Glyndwr would still of summoned an army for his own personal reason.

I understand your reason behind not having Scripted upisings, Im assuming your not having the Barons revolt or William wallace then?

I understand your reason behind not having Scripted upisings, Im assuming your not having the Barons revolt or William wallace then?

We will have scripted uprisings and other spawning events. However these will either be entirely conditional or scripted to occur early enough in the campaign to ensure they make sense.

Scripting can be used to simulate historical trends rather than just recreate historical events. We can attempt to make the mod historically accurate on the first turn and loosely accurate over the short term but any particular campaign will probably deviate from recorded history quite quickly. Actual historic events become less likely to occur the longer the game is played so their inclusion is problematic.

The campaign will start in 1294. Wallace will emerge in 1297. Scripting this makes sense because of the limited number of turns between the start and the event. No matter what the player does this will occur in context because we can control this. Events can be scripted in the short term to occur at specific times.

However, further into the campaign, as the state of any game can not be known or realistically predicted, such historic events are no longer valid because the preceding history that initiated them may have been changed.

The chance of such events occurring out of context can be mitigated by using conditional scripts. For example an English army can be scripted to attack Stirling castle on the condition that, its not already in English hands, Scotland is at war with England, England has already successfully invaded southern Scotland etc.

The emergence of the Barons alliance is a perfect example of a conditional script and will be retained (with modifications).
    Last edited by The Bruce; April 08, 2010 at 03:17 PM.

StGene's Avatar Civis

You included the Mackintosh as one of the playable clans...thank you! For the Scotland campaign you mentioned having to unite the clans. Does this mean that you start out as a clan and are forced to conquer the other clans and unite them under your banner?

Edit: +rep
    Last edited by StGene; April 08, 2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Knew I forgot something...
    ◊GLORIA◊MACHINA◊DEVS◊

Quote Originally Posted by StGene View Post
    For the Scotland campaign you mentioned having to unite the clans. Does this mean that you start out as a clan and are forced to conquer the other clans and unite them under your banner?
    The scripting for the clans campaign is still under development by TNZ. If things go to plan then some clans will need to be conquered whilst others will flock to your banner after some encouragement.

Your natural allies will be more sympathetic to your cause but blood feuds are rarely forgotten and some Clans would rather die than march to the drum of their traditional enemies.

How far we can implement these ideas remains to be seen but it looks promising.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

It sounds like you are making decent progress.

That is good to know!

Balla.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

u got a date for this yet?

Also is this mod hotseat?

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Wolf View Post
    u got a date for this yet?
    2011 if not before.
    Hopefully before,
    this year I should think (probably).

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Wolf View Post
    Also is this mod hotseat?
    No. The scripting would make this unworkable anyway.

2011?? c'mon lads, we're twitching here!
    You got us hooked with that gorgeously huge map and preview and now
    I want to see the French banners over Edinburgh!

Quote Originally Posted by Messremb View Post
    I want to see the French banners over Edinburgh!
    There will be saltires over Paris first

Seriously it will be some considerable time before the map is finished. Other aspects of the mod are progressing well but the scale of the project is pretty massive. We will get there eventually.
    Last edited by The Bruce; May 06, 2010 at 02:28 AM.

I'm Valah(Romanian) and I like rugby, not football so that picture means nothing to me.
    If I can help with anything... my only skill useful to you would be writing and testing
    Anyway... stop posting and get back to work

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Personally, I'm not at all opposed to starting off with a very pathetic Welsh rebellion, and overcoming the whole Isle. Just give me that one little foot in the door; make Wales playable with just one fair army and maybe one little province. I'll hoist the Welsh flag over the Tower eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt View Post
    Personally, I'm not at all opposed to starting off with a very pathetic Welsh rebellion, and overcoming the whole Isle. Just give me that one little foot in the door; make Wales playable with just one fair army and maybe one little province. I'll hoist the Welsh flag over the Tower eventually.

That's the spirit!

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

will the new kingdoms work for vista as im having trouble unpacking the files for this one