Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: **OLYMPICS** London 2012

emotion_name's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Icon7 **OLYMPICS** London 2012

Thought we should have a thread going where all us interested in the olympics can chat and what not!

If the mods could see fit to sticky this thread for duration of Olympics i would be grateful!

I cannot wait for it to start, i know we wont put on half as good an olympics as Beijing 08, but i reckon the athletes and events will be a lot closer.

Yohan Blake has shown he can give Bolt a run for his money (see what i did there )

Jessica Ennis has huge pressure, almost an expectancy on her to win gold and our cyclists also have a huge task to follow after Beijing (13 cyclists went, 12 won medals. Sorry Cavendish )

Havnt noticed of the American shooter, errr, Mark Emin i think he called, is competing at London. You know the guy, at Athens he hit wrong target with gold medal shot and at Beijing missed target on gold medal shot again.

Anyone along the lines "eric the eel" in this Olympics as well? Like to support an underdog, like our mens 4x100m relay team.

Also, the British Beach Volleyball team gave an interview saying even if it rains they wont change out of bikini (rules allow for leggings to be worn). I hope all the other teams show the same commitment!

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: **OLYMPICS** London 2012

I'd just like to say on behalf of most people I've talked about this in London and elsewhere I'm severely dissapointed with the corporate greed, the disjointed organisation and the stupid rules that are already transforming this Olympics into a shamble. When McDonalds and Coca-Cola are your main sponsors for a sporting event, you know some slimeball like Seb Coe organised this.

Good luck to the athletes though...
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

The corporate sponsorship isn't annoying me that much, considering we are in a recession. I will be attending a few of the events, starting this week with the Japan - Spain game (obviously will be a bit of a one-sided match, but I'm a Chelsea fan and its at my local stadium).
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Hehehe, i think the first event of the Olympics is womens football, in my hometown - Cardiff! I also think this event is 2 days before the actual opening ceremony!

I agree some of the rules regarding sponsors is idiotic, but lets try to focus on the athletes and what not ey chaps, spirit of the olympics and all that!

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

Quote Originally Posted by emotion_name View Post
    my hometown - Cardiff!

i was dragged into watching the olympic torch, 20 minutes of coca-cola etc floats to briefly watch someone carry a torch. Might as well have stayed home and watched adverts on tv. Don't understand why people found it at all interesting.

Meh, and they said Dr Who so i thought "cool, David Tenant is carrying it", and then i finds out its Matt whats his face!!

I wonder at what point Paula Radcliffe is gonna drop out and cry, seems par for the course with her at olympics. I heard Phelps has only been picked in 7 events in the pool as well, so he wont get the chance to defend his 8 olympic titles won at Beijing, which is a shame!

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

The Mountain Biking is about two minutes from my house, and we were given priority tickets, and we also receive parking permits for the are. Last year the two day test event attracted some 20K visitors....., still not so happy with the giant statue they have put up near my house of a Mountain bike with rider, at the cost of over Ł55K, and maybe a little OTT with all the flags, if only I like Mountain Biking
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Sharpe's Company's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by ♔hammeredalways♔ View Post
    The Mountain Biking is about two minutes from my house, and we were given priority tickets, and we also receive parking permits for the are. Last year the two day test event attracted some 20K visitors....., still not so happy with the giant statue they have put up near my house of a Mountain bike with rider, at the cost of over Ł55K, and maybe a little OTT with all the flags, if only I like Mountain Biking
    I heard on radio that council tax has gone up for all Londoners.

Hope you enjoy your sporting festival mate
    Justice 4 Charlene
    #MoggMania
    #No2EU

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

well there are some benefits

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

knowing the refugess from South London currently playing at the Emirates are not only paying Ł126 per game to see them win nothing, and prepare the next batch of players for the Manchester clubs (Le Arse the feeder club), but also that their council tax is going to pay for the mighty Irons new stadium, got to love it
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

I cannot believe mountain biking is in the Olympics. It should be the classic sporting events. It's turning into the Dew Tour.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Sharpe's Company's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by ♔hammeredalways♔ View Post
    well there are some benefits

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

knowing the refugess from South London currently playing at the Emirates are not only paying Ł126 per game to see them win nothing, and prepare the next batch of players for the Manchester clubs (Le Arse the feeder club), but also that their council tax is going to pay for the mighty Irons new stadium, got to love it
    Ah, someone's back in the premire league

The only problem with the New Boleyn is the stigma generally attached to council grounds like the Britannia Stadium

Not that I'd be boastful, our council just bailed us out at the backend of last season or we'd be finished.
    Last edited by Sharpe's Company; July 23, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
    Justice 4 Charlene
    #MoggMania
    #No2EU

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Looking forward to the Swimming and Basketball. Probably half a dozen events that I can't think of right now also.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

My enthusiasm for the Olympics is well under control.

It seems tickets were sold out rapidly but it now appears as if many companies bought them up in a hope of making a profit on them.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Well it's nice to see that greed in that form isn't limited to the US. God forbid you let a family see a once in a lifetime event at face value.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Acco's Avatar Дијана

The womens football tournament begins tomorrow. In addition to Japan-Canada, tomorow's high profile game is:

(USA)

vs.

(France)

На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Olympics, the "Greatest sports event in the World", which u can't watch if your T-shirt says something that may be considered "offensive" by some random standards or if u are holding a refreshment rival to the one sponsoring the competition, despite having paid your ticket.

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

I am looking forward to Boris Johnson coming out with some gems. As for the parade of corporate greed dressed up as sports I couldn't care less.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Olympics, the "Greatest sports event in the World", which u can't watch if your T-shirt says something that may be considered "offensive" by some random standards or if u are holding a refreshment rival to the one sponsoring the competition, despite having paid your ticket.
    Or you get banned for making a humourous comment on twitter...

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

that's another great reason

Alex Morgan did great for the US Women's soccer team. She is awesome. Maybe she is better than Marta!

Im excited about both Olympic football/soccer tournaments. Uruguay looks like they really want to win bringing in Cavani and Suarez to their Olympic squad.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast