Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The thread that started it all

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: The thread that started it all

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Does anyone know where they were located historically?
    "terra" is the terracotta army that was buried at the tomb of Shihuangdi. It says it is located 30 miles or so east of Chang An (modern Xi'an) at Mount Li (Lishan).

"spires" is a bit tougher and I'm not sure what it is supposed to represent. It could be:
    Yellow Crane Tower, but it wasn't built until 223 AD,
    Bronze Pheasant Tower in Ye, but I think that tower is fictional or,
    Yueyang Tower which was built by Lu Su some time after 194 AD (probably around 200 AD).

"sleeping" is a sleeping (or reclining) Buddha statue, but I can't find anything for a statue that existed during this time period. Most of what I have found weren't built until the Tang dynasty.

"havarak"... have no clue what that is supposed to be.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I think it can safely be assumed that some of the 'wonders' are fictional or symbolic. My vague memory tells me of a huge sleeping Buddha, but that one is in Thailand I think.
    The Phoenix is either symbolic or tied into a story.
    Apparently the havarak is a mausoleum.

I did find the 'wonders' text file eventually, but it is all Chinese to me . Maybe it can give an idea about the buildings?
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 29, 2012 at 08:46 PM.

Hm interesting that a Buddha wonder was in the original...I assume that is correct? Interesting given that Buddhism did not even reached or just reached China and had no representation as of then, only during the Age of Fragmentation. (Period after the Three Kingdoms starting with Jin and ends with the establishment of Sui: 265-589 roughly)

But I am curious if there would be a way to swap the model for with something else so visually it fit the time period. (I know atm the task is to convert the original into M2TW but just wondering.)

Blog Entries

There is no problem to replace the model, it's just a matter of availability and suitability. This is actually one of the items (strat models) that does not need converting.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Waraven View Post
    Hm interesting that a Buddha wonder was in the original...I assume that is correct? Interesting given that Buddhism did not even reached or just reached China and had no representation as of then, only during the Age of Fragmentation. (Period after the Three Kingdoms starting with Jin and ends with the establishment of Sui: 265-589 roughly)

But I am curious if there would be a way to swap the model for with something else so visually it fit the time period. (I know atm the task is to convert the original into M2TW but just wondering.)
    No, Buddhism was in China during the Han dynasty, however it didn't flourish until after the Three Kingdoms era. For example, the White Horse Temple was built in Luo Yang in 68 AD under the patronage of Emperor Ming, so it did have representation then.

I think it can safely be assumed that some of the 'wonders' are fictional or symbolic. My vague memory tells me of a huge sleeping Buddha, but that one is in Thailand I think.

I did find the 'wonders' text file eventually, but it is all Chinese to me . Maybe it can give an idea about the buildings?
    I'll take a look at it and see what I can find.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: multiple posting merged.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Some of them seemed to be symbolic. For example, Coliseum increases speed of creating buildings, but all of them require only 1 turn to be found
    The other wonder promote faction in cultual way.
    Others increase income from agriculture, from sea trade etc.
    The Khanate, you'd better ask Gigantus
    Last edited by lekseus; September 02, 2012 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lekseus View Post
    Some of them seemed to be symbolic. For example, Coliseum increases speed of creating buildings, but all of them require only 1 turn to be found
    The other wonder promote faction in cultual way.
    Others increase income from agriculture, from sea trade etc.
    Wouldn't the coliseum be more suited for military purposes? Decreased training time?

Blog Entries

I was more referring to the wonders for this mod - see picture here.

Kind of late to this, but I would speculate that the Phoenix and Sleeping wonders refer to two of the most prominent strategists that emerged around 200. Zhuge Liang was known as the Sleeping Dragon, while Pang Tong was called Fledgeling Phoenix. Possibly having those wonders in place gives a faction access to superior strategists and by extension better troops.

Blog Entries

That's definitely worth a thought.

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

hmm, leader specific upgrades. is it possible?
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

Blog Entries

It's a bit of a bother, but it is possible to simulate the Marian Reform in M2TW. Otherwise only the regular armor upgrades.
    The leaders can also be given individual battle models.

the new username's Avatar Praepositus

wut this is awesome
    very nice work.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Excellent effort, this project. Good luck with it

I was much into the Three Kingdoms mod and Zhanguo mod during 2008 (as it was still active/displayed within TWC under RTW mods), did some submodding for it, besides the trial to make the Three Kingdoms mod stable, ie. iirc. the traits and names file was bugged a lot.

Hope you can convert the battle mode building models to chinese architecture of the period some time in future, would be awesome.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 09, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Is this the right thread to express how one likes the idea?
    I like the novel, I like the setting, I like the personalities of the age, I am glad to know that we will finally have RoTK mod for M2TW (and judging by 1648 it will be excellent one).
    Considering that all we had till now were KOEI games and old Chinese mod for RTW this mod is great news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooma Addict View Post
    After reading wikipedia for about ten minutes, I hearby declare myself an expert on medieval history.

Spardan's Avatar Foederatus

If this mod gets complete it will be one of the best ones,, i love the idea
    Played the first one "Zhanguo" totalwar too, and it was awesome.. too bad cant get it anywhere anymore 8/
    Im surely going to see where this goes.. .

Quote Originally Posted by Spardan View Post
    Played the first one "Zhanguo" totalwar too, and it was awesome..
    You shouldn't mix up "Zhanguo" with "Sanguo" mod. The name of the mod Gigantus converting is Sanguo.
    "Sanguo" means 3 kingdom.
    "Zhanguo" means China.

Blog Entries

Learned something again - I can only imagine the pitfalls awaiting me.

So there are two different RTW mods on the period? Wow. Are you planning on adding content from both gig?

Blog Entries

I am going to concentrate on the 'three kingdoms' - it's a mouthful already by way of traits, anc and units. If there is something in the other mod that is a worthwhile additional here then I won't hesitate to ask the other modders if permission would be granted.