Thread: My kingdom for a skin!

Gigantus's Avatar The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default My kingdom for a skin!

I am back with more noob stuff: can someone point me to a tutorial that explains skinning? Preferably one that doesn't require a university degree and professional programs that cost a fortune.

I graduated to allocating strat models to their skeleton (marvelous tut - made myself a PDF copy of it), but a tutorial for battle models wouldn't hurt either, especially with all those comments...

TMK's Avatar BC Local Moderator

Default Re: My kingdom for a skin!

Gigantus's Avatar The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Blog Entries

Great, I'll go through them - and come crying back most likely.

Edit: the tome has the UV unwrapping - that has been my Armageddon so far. Cross fingers I get the hang of it.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM.

BM309K58SMERCH's Avatar Centenarius

A quick note is that LithUnwrapper can make a UV map but much smaller (512x512) than the required dimensions (1024x1024). You might need to use it only to define what type of mapping will the model describe (like a flat side view of the model, or a long rectagle like a flattened cylinder).

Blog Entries

Converting RTW models to M2TW (which have small texture sizes) has actually persuaded me to use large (1024) textures - it just looks washed out otherwise (unless I messed up something there, too)