Thread: Assigning specific portraits, please help.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Assigning specific portraits, please help.

Hi all and thanks for taking your time to read about my problem.

I have a couple of questions about assigning specific portraits to specific characters in the campaign.

1. Can a starting character be assigned a unique portrait which won't be later used randomly by generals?

2. Is it possible for a general (male) to have a female portrait assigned (by use of a script, trait, no idea), considering that all portraits for generals are male?

3. Is it possible for a general (male) to have either male or female portrait assigned, depending on a specific "gender" trait, considering that generals portraits are both male and female portraits?

Much thanks in advance.

Default Re: Assigning specific portraits, please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Hi all and thanks for taking your time to read about my problem.

I have a couple of questions about assigning specific portraits to specific characters in the campaign.

1. Can a starting character be assigned a unique portrait which won't be later used randomly by generals?

2. Is it possible for a general (male) to have a female portrait assigned (by use of a script, trait, no idea), considering that all portraits for generals are male?

3. Is it possible for a general (male) to have either male or female portrait assigned, depending on a specific "gender" trait, considering that generals portraits are both male and female portraits?

Much thanks in advance.
    1..data > UI > custom portraits >
    *subfolder*, named after your unique character, it must contain 3 tga.s named young - old - dead
    (and must be 69 width x 96 height pixels, to appear in optimum quality...save em, as 32 bit..if you also wanna have "invisible backrounds", check out the tutorial section about creating portraits, by Gigantus)
    ** you could even skip the old variation i suppose, or just use the same as the young one, if it doesn't interest you...In any case, the young to old, transition (followed by the portrait changing) is regulated through descr_campaign_ai_db.xml in data folder (i think..)

then through descr_strat (in data > world > maps > campaign > imperial campaign) you assign the portrait, by adding an entry about it, named as the subfolder you created...

it works in the same way for scripted to appear characters too (through campaign_script)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    character    Jaimeb Lannister, named character, male, age 32, battle_model jaime_lannister, x 33, y 127, portrait jaime, label jaime3
    traits bio_Jaime_Lannister 1 , Royal_Blood_English 1 , LoyaltyStarter 1 , ReligionStarter 1 , GoodFighter 3 , BattleDread 1 , GoodCommander 2 , Handsome 3 , Fertile 1 , Brave 3 , Loyal 2 , ContentGeneral 3 , Corrupt 1 , NaturalMilitarySkill 1 , TacticalSkill 1 , Girls 3 , Energetic 3 , Bloodthirsty 1 , TourneyKnight 4 
    ancillaries gildedarmour
    army
    unit        SE Bodyguard                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

2...you can use whatever pic you like .. all that it matters is
    -create the custom portrait, subfolder
    -create the code entry

3.. can't say, i really understood you can't change custom-portrait subfolder, midgame, if that's what you're asking
    *If you wanna have a transexual general haha you could time it on the young to old transition maybe

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

What noobas said: you can only assign custom portraits for starting (descr_strat) and spawned (campaign_script) named characters. If you want to use a female (custom) portrait then fine but he is still a man: he will probably marry a woman at some point, his voice will be male (there are ways around that) and traits/ancillaries tend to say "he", "this man", etc.

For non-starting, non-spawned characters, i.e. ones born by the game engine, the portrait will be randomly chosen from the "generals" folder of that faction's culture. You could put some female ones in there but it will mean a random chance of the character getting it.

As noobas said, sadly there is no way to change a character's portrait after he is 'born' or spawned.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Thank you Noobas and Withwnar. It's some relief that at least the starting characters can be given custom portraits.

You're welcome. Yes, it is a handy feature, especially for heroes and the like. I just wish portraits could be changed mid-campaign, but it's low on the list of things to wish for.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Hey! Just wanna know if now we have found a way to change a character portrait with a trait? I remember having read somewhere it was possible, with something about character getting the plague having it appear on the portrait or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about? x)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Only way I know that might work is to send the character off map and then spawn him with a custom portrait. But I seem to vaguely remember that a character is stuck with his portrait, no matter what.
    Can't imagine how a trait would achieve that, you may mix that up with the strat model change.

Sending off map and bringing back can change some aspects of him but portrait isn't one of them. Portrait change is impossible as far as I know, other than ageing ("old"). Never heard of plague somehow being used.