Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kessen Music Mod for ALL Campaigns **Mod Compatible!!**

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

Default Kessen Music Mod for ALL Campaigns **Mod Compatible!!**

Well I got a few private messages asking for this mod, so I will go ahead and post it. I will, of course, take it down if there is the slightest issue with legality. It's easy enough to find this music on Youtube and soforth so I am not too worried.
    All music was composed by Reijiro Koroku, and performed by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra. Kessen OST and Kessen II OST property of KOEI Co., Ltd.

I strongly urge you all to go out and buy Kessen. Though it is a little dated by today's standards, it is a thoroughly enjoyable walk through one man's vision of the Sengoku Jidai.

THE KESSEN MUSIC MOD
    Using Audacity (the program not the attribute), I have meticulously edited songs from the Kessen soundtrack in order to fit into Shogun 2: Total War. In many cases, I have mixed songs together, added fade ins/outs, and raised/lowered volume levels all in an attempt to match this beautiful music to the cinematic goings-on in the game. I am most proud of the Generals Speech scene - incorporating three pieces all pieced together fluidly. You may find yourself watching more of them as the orchestra swells behind his words .

Moreover, I have paid attention to the seasons of Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. Spring music sprouts to life as new opportunities arise. Summer repeats many Spring themes with undertones of brass, as your forces near and engage their target. Autumn music reflects the falling pedals with violins and shimisen. Winter is barren - drums, vanilla winter tracks, and wind haunt as the years come to a close.

Battle music is, of course, where Kessen shines. Though the engine does not give me very much control over which tracks play, I have taken care to choose tracks appropriate to the flow of battle. When you start the march, the trumpets may sound. When you're winning, the music gets excited with you.

So, without further ado, try it out!
    1. Download Kessen Music Mod
    2. Extract to your Shogun 2 data folder. Should be found at steam/steamapps/common/Total War Shogun 2/data
    3. When Steam prompts you on which mods you want to use, make sure KessenMusicMod is checked!
    4. Enjoy!

NOTE: Mod is compatible with all three campaigns. Mod is ALSO save game compatible and will work with 99% of mods (including and inspired by Sekigahara Campaign. Play Kessen... Total War style!)

Special thanks goes to Frodo45127 for helping me make this mod more accessible in .pack form. I was unfamiliar with ModManager so give him rep if you see him around!
    Last edited by MagicCuboid; August 05, 2020 at 09:19 AM.
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Kessen Music Mod

These kessen soundtracks are like combined modern music and japanese music (Remind a lot like music from old time videos and bit flavors by Hanz Zimmer). Is this music mod gonna be for whole shogun 2 game or separated for FOTS, ROTS or Shogun 2?

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

Ahhh Kessen.. how I miss thee. Wish they'd make more.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

It only works with the Shogun 2 campaign for now, and it is compatible with any mod that doesn't touch the music. I've just noticed that the default volume of these tracks is a little lower than the volume of the standard S2TW music, so I'm going through and raising them a few decibels to see if it helps. Normally I'd just change the balance from within the game, but I have a few vanilla tracks still in (the tension tracks during army deployment, and a couple of winter tracks) and they are too loud when they pop up. I think the music really shines during battle, particularly during the General's speech scene

edit: I've also never played Kessen III, I'm checking out that soundtrack now given that it takes place in Japan. I had to exclude a lot of the Kessen II soundtrack because it used too many Chinese instruments.

edit edit: Nevermind, the Kessen III battle songs are mostly way too modern... maybe a couple of the more traditional would be useful for campaign, but I'll stick with what I know for now. Overall the soundtrack sounds too "western" to my ears. They're also not played by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra so......
    Last edited by MagicCuboid; July 18, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Default Re: Kessen Music Mod for SJ Campaign **Mod Compatible!!**

Well I finally released the mod. Actually I finished it months ago but I took a bit of a break from TW. See first post, and enjoy!

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

(including Sekigahara Campaign... play Kessen Total War style!)
    Should be. Who else boasts historical figures that is in Kessen and in Shogun 2.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

so sad that this mod can't work in Rise and Fall campain

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger tank View Post
    so sad that this mod can't work in Rise and Fall campain
    Mod is compatible with all campaigns! I had assumed it wouldn't be, but I just loaded up FOTS and ROTS and they work fine. The only caveat is that I haven't edited their "end of turn" sounds or the menu where you choose your forces, but that's not really a big deal!
    Last edited by MagicCuboid; October 01, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Default Re: Kessen Music Mod for ALL Campaigns **Mod Compatible!!**

oh this work , thank for great mod

Frodo45127's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Why you put in the readme that we need to edit the patch15.pack and patch20.pack? I make a new pack file and works.

Actually I couldn't get it to work in its own .pack. Maybe you could help me do that and I'll give you some credit on the mod?
    Last edited by MagicCuboid; October 04, 2012 at 03:06 AM.

Patrician

It's simple:
    - Make a new folder with the name "Music". Extract in that folder the folder "shogun2" of your mod.
    - Create a new pack file with Pack File Manager and add the folder "Music" to the pack file.
    - Save the file as mod.

I think there's a problem with the pack file. Not working as is. I'll try to fiddle with it. At first glance it appears the entries are doubled.

Edit: NM I was saving them as movie files. Works perfectly and well done!
    Last edited by rainkloud; October 04, 2012 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks for the input guys, it would be great to make this into a simple .pack file. I'm struggling to make it work so I've put my old link and instructions back up at the top.

Frodo, this is the trouble I'm having. I've made a mod .pack "Kessen Music Mod", from there it goes music->shogun2->"all the data" just like you said. When I start the game, Steam prompts me, "Check the mods you would like to run..." and I select Kessen Music Mod, but then the game crashes upon startup.

I'm currently validating my install to make sure my previous tampering with patch15 and patch20 isn't the culprit. Alternatively, if you want to send me your working .pack file, I will happily give you credit on the mod

edit: I also hadn't downloaded the latest patch, so that could also be the problem. *hopeful*

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by MagicCuboid View Post
    The problem is the name of the pack file. If the name of the pack file has any space, the game will crash (stupid bug of ModManager). You need to change the name "Kessen Music Mod.pack" to "Kessen_Music_Mod.pack".

Haha yup, just realized that myself and got it to work . "Wait a minute, I'm arguing syntax with a computer" was my thought. Thanks very much for getting this to work Frodo, +++rep!

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Download before it's taken down.

From what I know copyrighted music mods are a no-no here at TWC.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

copyrighted or not it sure makes my time more pleasant in shogun 2 thanks man!

setheroph's Avatar Libertus

Great Mod, Now I go to bed humming the old tunes again from Kessen 2, wake up doing it too. Disturbing me thou that as im doing it all I can see in my head is Yu Jin

www.myspace.com/setheroph

YOU ARE NOT MY LIEGE.........SCUM.....

Oh man you are my HERO! Which Kessen soundtracks are in the mod? I guess I'll just found out.

I was going to do this myself but god damn you just saved me the effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast