Thread: General Discussion, Announcements

SXFighter's Avatar Civis

Default Re: General Discussion, Announcements

I'm not too worried about 0ad's current limitations because of one thing: it's open-source.

My issues with diplomacy are already being discussed by official and unofficial devs. (Ideas about a "loyalty" meter have been talked about positively.)

I wouldn't be surprised if a "War of the Ring"-esque mode was introduced in the future. Hopefully it would function a bit more similarly to Total War.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodly View Post
    Do as you please. But hopefully leave Hyrule Total War around?
    I think Neph was saying he'd finish the faction overhauls before dropping support. So no worries!

I haven't really been active on the forums much, but as someone who's been following HTW for a significant period of time, I have a few concerns about a possible port to 0AD.

By far the biggest one I have is whether or not it will be possible to have a single grand campaign, similar to the freeform campaign we currently have. The grand campaigns of the Total War series were always my favorite part, from the early-game rebel land grabs to the endgame battles between superpowers. It all came with the feeling of your empire growing and evolving over a huge period of time, with each campaign taking weeks to finish. While I am not particularly concerned about the tactical aspect of the new game, I am concerned that the strategic portion of it will be significantly diminished. For instance, economics will go from a careful balancing act between troop upkeep, city development, taxation and recruitment to a simple 'spam peasants at resource source' game. Similarly, with the maps being much smaller, an invasion goes from a game of maneuver as your armies either evade or engage hostile armies in order to try and hit the enemy's cities to a simple collision of deathballs, with the winner demolishing the loser's base.

As such, while I do believe that the Medieval 2 engine's hard-coded limits on factions and soldiers have severely hamstrung HTW in its current form, I don't think I can enthusiastically support a 0AD port of HTW without a grand freeform campaign of some sort being on the table.

That said, some parts of HTW will fit into 0AD pretty well. Hyrule Historia mode comes to mind, as it is a series of battles following a fixed storyline.

Aproximately how much will the units get reduced? From what i know, 500 is the maximum limit, so will each unit get reduced to a quarter?
    Speaking of the sizes, it will be pretty awkward to conquer these giant settlements with such little forces.

The best thing is to throw out all thoughts of Med2.

0AD is Age of Empires, and all else will have to adjust based off that.

No fixed towns other than what you build unless the map starts with it. Not that it's impossible to build nice-looking towns/cities, but those would be a whole-map and customised affair(Like an entire map might be Hyrule Prime, or even merely part of Hyrule Prime-it depends on how big is possible). Settlements/combat camps will be smaller in general, unless the buildings themselves are huge(Not impossible). No training groups of units. You want a unit of 20 pikes, you'll train each one separately and like it. On the other hand the quirks of 0AD looks like it'll add more interesting wrinkles, in that combat units can harvest, and gaining EXP raises combat ability but reduces harvesting.

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodly View Post
    No training groups of units. You want a unit of 20 pikes, you'll train each one separately and like it.
    Actually Neph wants to do a squad based system, and might even try to implement battalions, so you won't be training each man individually, but rather in groups.

SXFighter's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy22 View Post
    It all came with the feeling of your empire growing and evolving over a huge period of time, with each campaign taking weeks to finish.
    While it's not exactly what you want (don't forget; HTW's not going anywhere, you can still play it!) You can always make a custom map that's as big as your PC can handle and have all the factions (plus "gaia" encampments/towns as rebels) with walls around their city centers so everyone lasts a while. Depending on how big of a map your PC can handle, that skirmish match could possibly last weeks.

I'm not sure how AI will be handled with the port specifically but you could probably set it up to where the bots turtle up and things last even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeford View Post
    Actually Neph wants to do a squad based system, and might even try to implement battalions, so you won't be training each man individually, but rather in groups.
    Do you know if it would be possible to do something similar to BFME's banner carrier upgrade for battalions, where units regenerate slowly? Or like the healing wells that have an area of effect for the same thing? Or really any function that replenishes units for a battalion?

At least have it to where your pop count is still based on individual units rather than battalions?

While I do like the idea, it seems like it would be hard to keep full squads around. That might kill certain OCD players.

GeoHitmanGR's Avatar Ordinarius

Hi. Just dropping by to say nice mod guys. Keep up the good work!

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by SXFighter View Post
    While I do like the idea, it seems like it would be hard to keep full squads around. That might kill certain OCD players.
    I don't think it would be, Company of Heroes, one of the most successful and critically acclaimed RTS games of the past decade, is squad based and it works great. You just have to do it right, and make it easy to refill or merge squads. (CoHs has a mechanic where you can essentially buy individual soldiers from your headquarters by placing a depleted unit near it, allowing you to easily refill squads back up with men)

Even if the numbers get reduced, i want the x units + 1 officer thing to still be in HC.

Re: Switch to 0ad

I'll try to give some more in-depth feedback later, but the short form is:

I would be opposed to this switch (for reasons I'll try to address later), except that it's totally bonkers to do a project as ambitious as HTW on a closed-source engine, especially one that's as buggy and arbitrarily hobbled as M2TW's is, and especially one that's no longer maintained.

Given all that, I say do it.

SXFighter's Avatar Civis

I noticed on the new "Hyrule Conquest" page of the wiki that Ancient Hylians are listed as a faction but not the Wind Tribe. Will the Ancient Hylian faction feature Wind Tribe units as well as Siroc?

I hope so, I always loved their design, and I'd love to see a remastered version.

Also, are you guys just going to replace stuff on the wiki? I personally think a separate wiki should be made so HTW specific info isn't lost.

I noticed on the new "Hyrule Conquest" page of the wiki that Ancient Hylians are listed as a faction but not the Wind Tribe. Will the Ancient Hylian faction feature Wind Tribe units as well as Siroc?
    The Ancient Hylians faction in-game has both Hylian and Wind Tribe units. Siroc will be a playable hero as well.
    Also, are you guys just going to replace stuff on the wiki? I personally think a separate wiki should be made so HTW specific info isn't lost.
    Which HTW-specific info? Most of the wiki currently is story, which is going to remain mostly consistent no matter which engine chosen. I'm going to overhaul the wiki entirely after the port and any info on the M2TW version will be treated as historical.
    REMEMBER THE WAX-WIND
    IT WILL FIND YOU
    I AM A CANDLE
    WIND WAX-WIND WAX-WIND WAX

SXFighter's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by HTD View Post
    The Ancient Hylians faction in-game has both Hylian and Wind Tribe units. Siroc will be a playable hero as well.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by HTD View Post
    Which HTW-specific info? Most of the wiki currently is story, which is going to remain mostly consistent no matter which engine chosen. I'm going to overhaul the wiki entirely after the port and any info on the M2TW version will be treated as historical.
    Like tech trees (which I think are actually outdated at this point anyway?) and references/images for old models and TW battlefields/settlements. There's also the fact that the unit rosters are built around how things are set up in HTW rather than in conquest where there will be new units and some of the old ones will have different functions (like agents) so it'd become less useful as a reference for HTW players.

Basically as long as you have that info separate in some way for the benefit of of HTW players that'd be great. Maybe similar to how expansion info is/was separated except a little more rigid?

Anyway I'm sure you'll do a good job, I just don't want those who are resistant to the port to feel like anything is being taken away from them.

Like tech trees (which I think are actually outdated at this point anyway?) and references/images for old models and TW battlefields/settlements. There's also the fact that the unit rosters are built around how things are set up in HTW rather than in conquest where there will be new units and some of the old ones will have different functions (like agents) so it'd become less useful as a reference for HTW players.
    You have the guides for that, except for the old models which neither Neph nor I had any intention to keep on the wiki after they became HD.
    REMEMBER THE WAX-WIND
    IT WILL FIND YOU
    I AM A CANDLE
    WIND WAX-WIND WAX-WIND WAX

SXFighter's Avatar Civis

When Conquest is released, will you guys be moving to Wildfire's forums?

I'm thinking about recruiting Sheikah Cadre. From what I understood after reading this -
    Sheikah works in one of two states that change the way their cities, armies and agents are. They could change their position at will.
    Http://hyruletotalwar.wikia.com/wiki...adreRecruiting Death State units are blocked until war with Hyrule or Ordon Province? Is it about other allies? Will a war accident automatically lose access to Shadow Stance units, or can they also be recruited?

No the stances are something you can switch to at will, simply press a key and you will be given the option to enter death stance or vice versa. Half their units are avaliable during shadow stance the other in death stance
    Sign the petition to remove the hardcoded limits from M2TW
    https://www.change.org/p/creative-as...t_created=true

Quote Originally Posted by tedster1995 View Post
    No the stances are something you can switch to at will, simply press a key and you will be given the option to enter death stance or vice versa. Half their units are avaliable during shadow stance the other in death stance
    I guess you mean the event?

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Yeah I'm seriously considering moving to 0AD. No more hardcoded limits on factions and units:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Looks great!

How easy will it be for you to import custom animations over? For example, will Gorons still roll around? I imagine it will be easier than making anims for Medieval 2?