Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Author's Road

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: The Authors road

Ok well I started up The Praetorian again ad have just finished the Ninth chapter of it.

Catch up on the Praetorian and see Chapter Eight and Nine if you havent done so already

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Hello everyone, Welcome to the Author's road

Ok well today I was browsing the writer's study chat and feedback, when I spotted a post by Paragon, it was quite interesting and I agreed with what he wrote.

The post in general is about lurkers (Guests/members that just read an update and don't even bother complimenting/critizing your work)

I will quote this bit from Paragon 'We spend hours on these updates' we really do! You know my updates that equal five pages? Counting the idea for the chapter, working on the idea to perfect it and writing the chapter? That's a couple of hours at least!

Sure we get comments from readers and I love that because I know if they are enjoying the story or if I need to fix something!

Look Wheather you hate my work or like my work comment! I'm saying that for everyone! Shankbot12 (Also known as Shankbot de bodemloze) I think I spelt that wrong (Sorry Shank ) wrote a great AAR and got loads of loads of comments!

Tons of people have written amazing AAR's and tons of people have written amazing stories!

So why don't we get as much comments/views as AAr's? Is it because we suck? Maybe so, of course some people's writing will not be as good as others and everyone has differnt tastes or (In my opinion) a AAr is a story with pictures! Those people have spent HOURS of time making AAR's and stories but the sad truth is (For me at least ) is that when I go on the writer's study when it would say nineteen people viewing study.

There may be me and ninteen guests, those nineteen guests would probaly be viewing AAR's.

Me being me and loving a good story I will go onto the WL or CW and view some stories.

Of course that is not to say I do not like AAR's I just cannot understand while they get so much more views.

Ok hold for a second, an idea just came to me.

Is it because AAR's have a much longer story? As in you play that faction for so many turnms and you see it's rises and it's falls, it's victories and defeats.

Is it because in the long term AAR's seem to far surpass CW in quanity and maybe qualty?

Ok well here is an example Tale of Rome written by Rex Anglorvm is the story I love most on WS. It's a perfect example of what a story should be like!

It has I think ten pages now and four thousand or five thousand views. Which I think is half the views of a AAR the same size.

BUT and I probaly should have said this earlier these are MY (MY MY MY MY) personal opinions and yes I said that five times so that the people that are thinking I am spouting know that it is my opinion!

I have a fear that I have not completed this installments goal! Which was to ask you all wonderful guests/members that view AArs and don't give a fig about CW to comment and tell us all what we are doing wrong and what you like about said story!

It means a lot to all of us.

I have another sad thinking that I have [eved off maybe half of my readers, I promise you though that my little rant is over. I just wanted to say all that.

If by chance what I have just written is rubbish and I have spouted a lot of useless ramblings I promise to edit the worst of it out.

I realize that som,e guests will most likely comment say I'm a douche with at the end 'I commented, you happy now?'

But for all those that have been offended I am sorry and I meant no offence! But the people here try so hard to get updates out!

Moderators if I have offended anyone please delte this post

Thank you readers.

Tigellinus

Oh and another update that is far less insultive to people

I'm volountering for the Critic's Quill so hopefuly I get to write with some wonderful peopel

Wish me luck!

Thanks Robinzx for your support Thanks mate!
    Last edited by Tigellinus; December 02, 2012 at 09:43 PM.

I fear I misspoke in my last update of this. As I have just began my own AAR I see how it takes so much work and dedication! I have came to appreciate those AAR writers that stick with it until the end!

Anyway on a less important note. My English AAR Lions of England is up.

At the moment I am leaving it up to you guys in the style that I write.

Third person or Diary entries.

Obviously the ones I have done already in Third person will stay in third person

So go check it out and tell me what you think

Woe it is, to be me. My Laptop is fried and I my cat has died Nah kidding (About my cat) MY laptop has really died and with it so have my stories. zLuckily I wasn't ahead of any stories hat I've posted so I can probably continue them through the site instead of doing them on word first.

Although I have talked to my father and he said he may get me a new laptop if I behave. Haha so basically . . . I'm not getting a laptop for christmas

But um has anyone else experienced it when their laptop is fine (Literally) one second. you urn it off came back a minute later. Turned it back on and it's dead?

And yeah I have charged it and all. It's this strange I/O error.

But anyway I may fork out some cash soon enough and get it fixed. Or wait till christmas and see if I get a new one.

I'm going off to college next year. (High School) so I really need one. Not to mention I need it for writing.

But anyway. Sorry I haven't posted here in a while. Been busy with um AARING Check it out!

BUT before you check mine out, if you haven't all ready. Check out Change our Fate: A Sicilian AAR by Swaeft.

Also check out One Single man: An Argonese AAR by Paragon. Both have entered in the MAARC so if you like them chuck them a vote!

OH and for Paragon's AAR, COMMENT. I swear if he catches you viewing his AAR and you don't comment he will hunt you down and kill you

Nah i'm kidding (I hope . . . ) Paragons a great writer and person. But seriously both of them deserve a comment and rep or two!

Thanks

Tigellinus.

Takeda by Robinzx and Tales of a Kingdom by Shankbot are also well worth to check out!

As are many many other AAR's that I have yet to read

Hello everyone! I've been up North for two days and my father is looking to buy a house! we've put an offer in. (It's absurd but hey.) so hopefully we get the house!

So how have you all been?

Thanks

Tigellinus

Hello folks! Long time no see!

Well in this post it is more personal then others I guess.

I applied to the Critics quill and to my very pleasant surprise was accepted! My review will be posted in the next Critics Quill (Number 37)

I also want to say I entered a certain competition. Not saying anything else otherwise Radzeer will crack his banning whip down upon me (I hope not. That'd be bad for me.)

I am also happy to announce another update within my AAR has been published today! So if you so wish check it out!

My writing has come to a standstill, as over the past few days I have been searching up numerous articles on 'Am I good enough to be a writer?' I don't know why but I find it amusing to go through the question and see which I am and which I am not. I also seem to have this need to have recognition and appreciation for my work.

Yeah I said it, I'm needy so what? We all have our flaws and we all have our strengths, no one's perfect. You don't have to be and I don't have to be.

I also want to give a 'shout out' to a couple AAR's that I have read.

I will not give you the links, so you're gonna have to go into the AAR section and find them yourselves!

The first one is Change our Fate, A Sicilian AAR by my friend Swaeft, check it out! It's got a deep plot with interesting characters and side plots! You won't regret viewing this AAR.

The second is made Swaeft's brother; Sweaft, now don't get confused one has the a first and the other has the e first. Remember that and you'll know them apart!

Sweafts AAR is called the Fire that Burned, Now I think the faction is Venice. But he has not released any details as to whether it is or isn't. Maybe I have just overlooked something?

Both AAR are SS Swaeft's AAR is 6.4 and Sweafts is also 6.4.

Enjoy folks! These AAR's should keep you reading for a day or two!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Well folks I'm back! My holiday up north was great! But any way, I'm sorry for not updating this in a while! But I want to congratulate Rex on starting up his own blog!

But again I am not here to discuss that, I must say that I was deeply disappointed t find that my new Windows 8 Laptop did not come with Microsoft office, giving me a very dumbed down version of word called 'wordpad' which at first I thought was reasonable. Now I think it's a load of ......

But lets not get carried away, I am glad to have a new laptop but perhaps I should have saved up more money to buy Microsoft office as well.

But never the less, how are you all doing? Anything interesting happen in your weekend?

Default Re: The Authors road commentary

SHANKBOT! My dear fellow, Tears of the Great needs your opinion

OK well I will start this post by saying a few things, first. It's been awhile I know, so I guess I'll get you all up to date on whats up in my life:school, High School is . . . different and tricky to get your head around. The Homework they assign though seems to have some merit to it, for that I am grateful. There is nothing that makes me seethe more then to be given homework that is USELSS. But then again I'm just a High School student who doesn't see the value in making a bookmark for my English teacher, considering I already have two

Secondly, my dads new house is epic! Right by the beach. We'e fixing it up a bit but it should be pretty good by the time it's done.

Thirdly: Writing, I love it. But I find that I lose interest in writing a story and so start a new one, then lose interest in that one and start another new one. Eventually I regain interest in said story. But I am like five stories ahead for every book I regain interest in Has anyone got any idea how I can fix this? I really want to strive to complete The Praetorian as well as Ninth Century of Phoenix. It's just I have so many ideas and it's difficult to focus on one book without loving the other ideas so much more!

Shankbot, I want to thank you for our previous support of this blog! I hope to rekindle the flame of this blog and get it burning once more!

Well it appears miracles do happen! I have spent quite a while in troubled thoughts about my AAR, the second chapter just wasn't cutting it for my standards. I was not content to give my readers half baked work, and because of my stubborness I have spent a few weeks in thought about my AAR, wondering whether or not I should bin it all together.

But now, now I have my answer. Somehow it all just came to me. The second chapter is going to be out within the hour.

I just had my one thousand and one hundredth post, I decided that to celebrate I will update this, after failing to keep my promise to Shankbot and update every week, I again owe you an apology my friend! But onto news, I just saw Game of Thrones Season 3 end, I've read ALL the books before I started watching the show so I new what the Rains of Castamere would behold. (SPOILER ALERTS) and when the Robb Starks decapitated body rode out surrounded by Freys (Well, he wasn't completely decapitated, his Direwolf's head had been sewn on in it's place.) shouting. "HERE COMES THE KING IN THE NORTH! HERE COMES THE KING IN THE NORTH!" I almost shed a tear, it's been a year since I had first read that scene in the book, well the Red Wedding scene I mean. The bit about Robb DID happen in the book, though it is only mentioned in passing. So when they rode out and I witnessed it I felt sad, these are CHARACTERS, true. But George R.R Martin has made them real enough to care about them, the Starks have been through too much pain; Bran and Rickon were supposedly dead (To Catelyn and Robb, they're alive, but they obviously don't know that.) and Ned (Eddard) Stark died in the first book, when I read that scene I couldn't believe it, I had to read it again to see if it was true, because until that day I had only ever read books where the good guy was almost certain to win. I believed that Ned was that good guy, that he would be set free and then he would lead his army down the South and slaughter the Lannisters (apart from Tyrion, he's a good man.) and butcher them all, it's no less then they deserve. But anyway, I love A Song of Ice and Fire, it's a great series because you fear for the characters; Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister, Daenarys and Lord Connignton (Griff). (SPOILER ALERT) Jon Snow dies in a Dance of Dragons, and (SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!! BIG ONE!) Catelyn STark still lives, but not as 'Catelyn Stark.' no, she lives as Lady Stoneheart and she is one of the commanders of the Brotehrhood Without Banners, so she leads these bands of people and hunts down Freys, hanging them. The North remembers, Walder Frey, remember that as you eat your bread and drink your mead. The North remembers.

I'm a Stark fan, I confess it! The Lannisters can burn in all the Seven Hells!

Let me begin, let me first say. Hello, I'm back, again.

But, something I asked in the Writers' Study Chat and Feedback. I asked what stories you wished for me to continue, first. I intend on finishing every last one of them before Christmas, but teh questions remain. Which one will I work on first? Which one deserves to be finished first?

Thanks.

Tigellinus

And so the year has ended, well, near enough that it makes no matter. I believe it's be an interesting year, TWC has grown it's community! Many new faces and friends to be found. The AAR sections is now filled with enthusiasts, as is the Creative Writing section! It appears to have been a good year for everyone here at the Writers Study.

I hope everyone has had a brilliant Christmas, and I hope yo all are having very good Holidays!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Hello, and yes, it has been rather a while. And I apologies, once again, fr my lack f updates on this Blog.

But, due to the name of this Blog and due to recent findings after extensive research. I have actually found something that relates to this Blog.

Well, at the age of fourteen I, of course, have relative few options of employment. I currently do a paper run and earn a good amount of cash, for me. I know, that doesn't relate to this Blog at all. But what does it what I shall say now.

Recently I have been searching for a few magazines, magazines that I can TRY and submit to, I mean, what do I have to lose? If I'm rejected, fine, and if I succeed then I get some extra cash and I'm one step closer to my ultimate goal, right?

I found several magazines that looked promising. The best was Clarksworld, which pays ten cents per word (most stories submitted to them end up being around four-eight thousand words.) Do the maths, I did, and was quite pleased with the result. Now, remember, these are professional magazines, I quite seriously doubt I'd have any hope in getting into this one, but, I have nothing to lose.

Link: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/submissions/

The second is named Strange Horizons, it pays eight cents a word, that's pretty good.

Link: http://www.strangehorizons.com/guidelines/fiction.php

The last is Teen Ink, which I won't link considering most people on here seem to be older than nineteen

It doesn't pay at all, but it is quite a good way to get yourself known to the world, considering it only publishes it teens its submission guidelines are a lot less strict!

Good luck, I hope this, in some way,helps

Thanks

Tigellinus

It has been a long time since any sort of blog post has been made, surprising.

Within the time of my last blog post I have travelled to Greece, Italy, Ireland and am -right this moment - travelling around France.

Right now I am awake at 6.55am in Paris, finishing off a history assignment that is now just over the cusp of a hundred pages long, I hope to have it done by 9.00am, so that I may have a full day of the Louvre to enjoy!
    I do have multiple pictures of my trip, if anyone is interested?

I'll do another blog post today describing my trips to Europe, maybe one blog post per country.

Thanks

Tigellinus

Default Something

I disappear and come back.

Yay.

I have been busy, very, very busy.

But, I am back, for a small while.

I have managed to write 130k words.
    Sadly not on In the Light of Dusk.
    As I usually do, I change projects, I try something new, and such.
    But, I did it. I have finally conditioned myself to write each day, at least a thousand words.

So, if anyone manages to read this, tell me. Should I go back to In the Light of Dusk and finish it all? Or should I begin posting my new project that is finished?

Default Universal Dynasty has been posted!

So, earlier today I posted the description/synopsis of Universal Dynasty - Dusk of the Old. It is the first of a trilogy. The idea has been sitting in my head for around a year now, and I started writing the outline for it around four months ago.

Anyway, I will post the description here:
    Description

The Universe is torn between two factions; the Imperium, and the Universal Collective of Allied Planets and Systems. Two brothers contend for the ultimate prize. The victor is granted the Universe, the defeated is granted death.

Six years ago a boy was stolen from his home-planet, the second son of the greatest general to have ever existed. His brother was presumed dead, and his father lost to darkness. With these tragedies hanging over his head; Eleusis Vixiua begins a crusade of vengeance and terror to bring death to the people who killed his father and brother. His lust for power drives him to actions that others revile, all for the sake of victory.

The foes he faces were once friends, people he trusted, relied upon. Loved. Now, however, they are his enemies by necessity, his foes by presumption.

On the other side of the universe, Kaldratos Vixiua serves Her Majesty Catherina as her Champion. He commands her forces, leads her armies, and lays waste and destruction to all who oppose her.

With both brothers presuming the other was dead; the two begin their stories of woe, war and suffering. One seeks vengeance, and the other seeks peace. The two command the grandest fleets ever to have existed in the universe, unknowing that the foe they so much despise, is actually the brother they so dearly loved.

The story, if you couldn't guess from the description, is a sci-fi. Specifically what one would call Military Science Fiction. Or, possibly a Space Opera. I think, I don't completely know.
    Anyway, I have always loved complicated things. Science and math are cool, but I prefer political complications; betrayal, backstabbing, plots and death. I loved tragedies, where you would grow attached to the character only to have them die. Sure, it pissed me off sometimes, but I love it because its the strongest emotional experiences I have ever had from a work of fiction. Sure, its all great at the ending where everyone's happy. But I don't want them happy, I want the entire crusade of what the characters just went through to mean something.

My tirade aside, I wanted complication, and I failed to find a anything as complicated as A Song of Ice and Fire, aside from The Wheel of Time series. So, I decided I would create something to sate my own desires for complicity and betrayal and death.

Thus: A Universal Dynasty was born.

This was originally posted on Wattpad, and I'll link the first chapter here: https://www.wattpad.com/345331666-un...leusis-chapter

On Wattpad it is up to Chapter Five. My schedule is updating Mondays and Fridays, both on here and on Wattpad. So, Wattpad is always going to have the chapters earlier and will always be five chapters ahead. However, to be honest, over the last week I have done some mass editing of multiple chapters, and quite a few things have changed. So, think of Wattpad as the draft of a draft, the very first crappy attempt. The chapters that will be posted here will have received editing and should have very few, if any, spelling errors. Punctuation errors I am not completely certain of, however. But, I will strive to be as precise as I possibly can.

Thanks for sticking with me this far, and I hope you enjoy Universal Dynasty!

Tigellinus

Default Wattpad for a month

Okay, so a few weeks ago I created an account on Wattpad and decided to start posting a new story there.

That story is known, both there and here, as Universal Dynasty - Dusk of the Old. Anyway, I got into Wattpad because a friend of mine used it, and she has around fifty-thousand views now and is relatively popular on it. So, it looked to be the place to get noticed, which was interesting to me.

Universal Dynasty - Dusk of the Old was started on Wattpad on December 16th.
    Results:
    93 Views:

Eleusis - Chapter One - Dawn of Damnation: 32 Views

Eleusis - Chapter Two - Fire and Sacrifice: 12 Views

Hannibal - Chapter Three - Victory: 12 Views

Hannibal - Chapter Four - Humanity: 8 Views

Kaldratos - Chapter Five - Duty and Desire: 14 Views

Hannibal: Chapter Six - Stormlight Massacre: 13 Views

Erisla - Chapter Seven - Memories: 2 Views.

Votes for the story: Two

Comments: None.

Compare that with TWC: First update was posted on the 25th of December.

238 Views.

One Comment, thanks Alwyn XD

So, these are the results so far in my comparison between Wattpad and Total War Center. Maybe it is because I am slightly known on TWC? Maybe people who use Wattpad just do not like what I write, or how I write? It is immensely interesting to me to see the differences!

So, every week on a Sunday; until the end of January, I'll post this, a Results for my story on Wattpad and my story on Total War Center.

Thanks for reading,

Tigellinus

I will be away from the 7th of January until the 16th, maybe even the 18th, depending on how long I stay up north.

Anyway, because of the disruption to my schedule, I have uploaded three chapters today. Well, two chapters, and one bit about the Imperium's Knightly Orders.

I hope you enjoy! See you all in a week and a bit.

Thanks

Tigellinus

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast