Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Unpacking the Game

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Unpacking the Game

The unpacker folder is a default folder for the windows version, hence I did not add the usual 'create folder if it doesn't exist' remark. The path is as follows: ...\Medieval II Total War\tools\unpacker

The BAT file commands are relative to this set up so it isn't surprising that it doesn't work. And it will still not work - this folder contains the unpacker.exe essential to unpack the game, the file is provided by the basic installation of M2TW. A major oversight by whoever compiled the version for Ubuntu it would seem. Unfortunately the upload of unmodified files is not permitted so I can't really help you there.
    You will also need the odd DLL file in the game's root folder to properly run the unpacker.exe file. I would suggest to contact the publishers of the Ubuntu version about a solution.

Note: the M2TW windows version of Steam contains the unpacker.exe file and the required DLL files.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 12, 2016 at 07:29 PM.

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Thank you Gigantus!

As usual a quick and to the point response. I confirm that there is no such folder path (...\Medieval II Total War\tools\unpacker), there is only a .../Medieval II Total War/share/data/packs folder containing data_0 up to data_4 files.
    For the missing .dll files, I believe you are referring to msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll, which I already downloaded from the other thread about unpacking the game. If not, I will ask Feral Interactive about those files too.

Sο finally I have someone to blame. Not that this makes it feel any better, but at least now we have ruled out a lot of the possible causes and have a clear path.

Thanks again +rep (as soon as possible).
    Last edited by Socrates1984; December 13, 2016 at 12:44 AM. Reason: About rep

Citizen

Hello again!

I come back with an update. I contacted Feral Interactive, the company that made Med2TW on Linux and Mac possible, to ask them about the missing unpacker.exe files. Their official response is indeed that they don't include the unpacker.exe in their release and that they are sorry for this. The reason for this inconvenience is twofold: First, they don't support mods and unpacking the game is only for this purpose. Second, the unpacker is a Windows only feature.

My response was that I am kind of sad for this lack of official solution to the problem and that the whole game was a Windows only feature. Moreover I asked them if it is (officially) okay to ask here in the TWC fora for the files themselves and explained the situation, i.e. uploading official unmodded files is considered against the rules.

I am waiting for their response.

Again, I cannot thank you enough though for all the trouble you got into to help me.

Because it has the same scope, I posted the same post in the thread about reverting back to fullscreen.

Blog Entries

CA doesn't support the battle editor feature and still they provided it. Do you think the original windows unpacker will work on your system?

Citizen

I am not sure, but there is only way to find out. I believe that with WINE and some tweaks, it is possible to run it. If they officially give the permission that is, because I don't think there is any other workaround.

Im having some trouble, i unpacked 'unpack_allUnpack.bat it was created in my c drive, i copied it, deleted the old data and put yours in place. The game gets an error then crashes on startup. Restored the original data and it works again.

Don't delete the old data. The files within aren't re-exported within the unpack folder, that's why it crashed. If you want all your exported files within the main data, just copy paste the unpacked files, but don't delete the files exported by default in the main directory.

Thanks, so i copied and pasted them. I guess they merged, the game works but battles do not. I have gold version so it wouldn't be about the patch?

Didn't you patch your game to 1.5 before unpacking? Anyway, your current battle problem isn't related I think. Most likely it has do with the descr_geography files that can crashe the battles.
    More here, and in other links within:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post12361001

Still, I would properly patch my game if you haven't, and re-unpack if I were you. Getting started is not easy right? I would also recommend the use of bare_geomod to do your modding:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ld-Bare-Geomod

Blog Entries

There seems to be some confusion about the purpose of unpacking the game: it is purely to make files available for modding. It is not required to unpack the game for regular play.

This means:

a) don't unpack the game if you do not intend to mod
    b) don't copy unpacked files into the default directories
    c) copy only the required files (which you intend to mod) into a mod folder like my Bare Geomod mod setup.
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 14, 2018 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    There seems to be some confusion about the purpose of unpacking the game: it is purely to make files available for modding. It is not required to unpack the game for regular play.

This means:

a) don't unpack the game if you do not intend to mod
    b) don't copy unpacked files into the default directories
    c) copy only the required files (which you intend to mod) into a mod folder like my Bare Geomod mod setup.
    Coming back to this I think you've found the problem, i was modding the base game not my own mod. Now i'm making it as a mod, but still trying to find how to get it to appear in the launcher.

Blog Entries

Which launcher are you talking about? Are you using Steam?

Which launcher are you talking about? Are you using Steam?
    The launcher for gold edition

Blog Entries

The launcher is pretty much outdated - you can start the main campaign directly by running\double clicking the medieval2.exe file. The installation should also have created desktop shortcuts for the kingdom campaigns.

The unpacking of this tutorial will be outside the game, and even the regular method only adds file and does not create new content - so I am unclear what you wish to achieve.

The launcher is pretty much outdated - you can start the main campaign directly by running\double clicking the medieval2.exe file. The installation should also have created desktop shortcuts for the kingdom campaigns.

The unpacking of this tutorial will be outside the game, and even the regular method only adds file and does not create new content - so I am unclear what you wish to achieve.
    I wish to play my mod, i just assumed it would appear on the launcher

Fighterkill's Avatar Foederatus

Gigantus i accidently did unpacking twice. First on the old method, copying the dll files, unpack and deleting the geography files, Then, after i saw this tutorial i was affraid i missed maybe something, so i ran your batch files to. But now this has cost me 12gb of disk space, instead of 6. Can i somehow delete the first way of unpacking, either by deleting files, folders or redoing something?

I thought it was fine to run your unpacker to because i thought it would just overwrite anything i already had.

Blog Entries

The first way of unpacking can be reversed by deleting all directories in the main game's data folder except these listed below, basically all the files that you got now in the second unpacking:

data\animations
    data\cursors
    data\fmv
    data\sounds
    data\world

Fighterkill's Avatar Foederatus

Thank you very much!

Blog Entries

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

unpack brittania and teutonic do not work on my brothers PC on windows 10 and steam

moved DLL files into the same folder and it did not help

runnign as administrator does not work either

it gives no errors just starts then crashes midway

could you help gig
    Last edited by ♔atthias♔; April 02, 2020 at 03:29 AM.
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast