Thread: Some thoughts about Rome 2 and rebels.

Default Some thoughts about Rome 2 and rebels.

So basically, what I want to say is this: I was playing Shogun 2 as the Chokosabe, and at one point invaded the land to the East. To make some quick bucks, I trashed a few cities, hoping they'd turn rebel as a little bonus, to give the natives something to play with. The point is, as the 'foreign' invader, I thought it would be interesting if you could 'use' the rebels to play havoc with your enemy? Y'know - be able to pay them to go after this or that army/city - it would open new layers of strategy. I don't know if invaders ever made deals along those lines, but surely it was possible - after all, the rebels are rebelling because they don't like how they're being treated, correct? Therefore, a 'foreign' invader might even be welcomed - to a certain extent - by local rebels and may be motivated by their presence to go in for the kill? (They may or may not come to accept the newcomers' rule - but only time would tell).

Now if the same thing happened in Chokosabe lands, obviously the rebels would be my problem to deal with because it's my system they're rebelling against.

Another thing, there needs to be more sense of how people feel about their own country being invaded. Shogun 2 took a step in the right direction by making a point when your capital was taken, and when the enemy landed on your shores, but if any other provinces in your land were taken, it hardly registered. It's still part of your land. For example, after a long war with the Urakami, they finally managed to invade the north of the island and took the city there. The game should reflect how people around the rest of the country feel about part of their land being under enemy occupation - especially if the idiot leader makes peace with them, completely forgetting about the fact they're still there (I know - that was really stupid!) As I continue to play the game, I keep glaring at them and wondering when the best time is to try and kick them out! Such feelings would surely also be festering in the rest of the island's population.

I hope you guys are making sense of what I'm trying to get at here! If so, what are your thoughts?
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Default Re: Some thoughts about Rome 2 and rebels.

I like the idea of paying the rebels to attack the enemy for you, I imagine this did happen in history, one faction paying rebels and pirates to do the work for them, so their own people don't die and they are less likely to face retaliation. I think it could work well.

Glad someone understood what I was getting at! Maybe it could also be used to get mercenaries, instead of just recruiting them from thin air?
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

I think a similar effect could be achieved with a diplomat and a hefty bank account, even in the original Rome.

Senator

Yeah, it's essentially the "incite revolt" feature of Shogun 2, or bribing existing rebels.