Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Faction - Kingdom of Hyrule

Default Re: Faction - Kingdom of Hyrule

Awww, what happened to the Kings?

Initially they were deleted by mistake, but as recently revealed, King Gustaff will be leading his own faction.

I would imagine the other kings will still be available in custom battles, but don't ask me under which flag

Just my 2 cents: Hyrule needs 2 things to make it a more viable faction. First, cut down the training time and turns till availability time for low and mid tier units such as hylian infantry, castle guards, crossbow men and town guards. Second, they need 1 more unit to round out the roster. In my opinion, a low tier archery unit to go along with town guards, or a mid tier cavalry unit i.e. mounted hylian infantry would cover all the bases nicely.

I made an account just so I could say this.
    -Units should look more like units used in Twilight Princess, and Ocarina of Time.
    -Hyrulean Knights is a stupid name, and should be changed to Knights of Hyrule (an actual order in the series.)
    -Knights of Hyrule should be dressed as link, with multi-coloured tunics, and Hylian shield.
    -Soldier Recruits is also an ugly name. Get rid of it.
    -So is Town Guards.
    -Here is how I would make the units:
    -Hylian Levy Spearmen (Militia)
    -Hylian Soldiers (Infantry)
    -Royal Hylian Guards (Heavy Infantry)
    -Knights of Hyrule (Special Unit)
    -Rangers (Archers)
    -Adventurer (Spy)
    -Tingle (Diplomat)
    -Sheikah (Assassin)

Heroes:
    -Zelda
    -Link
    -King (Generic look)

Remember, not all Hylians look like elves. They also have a lot of human looking people. Guards, for example, tend to be human, but then you get people like Telma, who is Hylian. Hyrule isn't exclusive to Hylians, like Ordon Province.

Mattwensley's Avatar Primicerius

Welcome aboard! I'll try to work through your issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Judas View Post
    I made an account just so I could say this.
    -Units should look more like units used in Twilight Princess, and Ocarina of Time.
    Can you give examples of those that don't? I thought pretty much evey KoH unit was based on those two games.
    -Hyrulean Knights is a stupid name, and should be changed to Knights of Hyrule (an actual order in the series.)
    I sort of agree with you here - Hyrulean refers to people who live in Hyrule the land, not just the Kingdom. These people are called Hylians.
    -Knights of Hyrule should be dressed as link, with multi-coloured tunics, and Hylian shield.
    Considering Link is supposed to be a legendary man/boy in this world, giving him this much of a link (haha) to KoH might portray a bias. They also have the shield as it is. And you have to admit - an army dressing up as Link would look a little ridiculous! The Kokiri look like a nation of children, so we can let them off, but adults in tunics and tights?
    -Soldier Recruits is also an ugly name. Get rid of it.
    Maybe, but I don't see this as too much an issue.
    -So is Town Guards.
    Town Guards are an iconic unit, and their name is a part of that.
    -Here is how I would make the units:

-Hylian Levy Spearmen (Militia)

-Hylian Soldiers (Infantry)

-Royal Hylian Guards (Heavy Infantry)

-Knights of Hyrule (Special Unit)

-Rangers (Archers)
    Rangers are an elite archer unit for Ordona. This might cause some confusion.
    -Adventurer (Spy)

-Tingle (Diplomat)

-Sheikah (Assassin)
    Sheikah are a race of their own. Their connection and subservience to KoH is part of their gameplay style.
    Heroes:
    -Zelda
    -Link
    -King (Generic look)
    Link is going to be a hero for (I believe) every faction, so he will feature in KoH. There are 5 Zeldas as it is, and I have heard there is going to be a King unit.
    Remember, not all Hylians look like elves. They also have a lot of human looking people. Guards, for example, tend to be human, but then you get people like Telma, who is Hylian. Hyrule isn't exclusive to Hylians, like Ordon Province.
    All Hylians have pointy ears - it's part of what defines them. 'Human' is a word that Nintendo has tried to avoid using.
    ~~Knowledge is power, and I do not like the feeling of weakness~~
    ~~If it's a million to one shot, I'll make sure I'm the one~~

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

the hyrule unit roster is quite small, here are some ideas on soldiers they could have-Hylian cavalry basically Hylian infantry on horses, they are better then Hylian recruits but not as good as mounted hyrule nights, Hylian archers-basically Hylian infantry with bows, not as good as Hylian crossbowmen but they shoot faster (because they have bows) I also think that Hylian infantry should have shields (yes I know this was already stated)

HerofTime's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeford View Post
    the hyrule unit roster is quite small, here are some ideas on soldiers they could have-Hylian cavalry basically Hylian infantry on horses, they are better then Hylian recruits but not as good as mounted hyrule nights, Hylian archers-basically Hylian infantry with bows, not as good as Hylian crossbowmen but they shoot faster (because they have bows) I also think that Hylian infantry should have shields (yes I know this was already stated)
    Someone correct me if im mistaken, but if I remember correctly Hylian Infantry have two-handed swords (whether they do or don't or just don't use them with both hands I don't remember). If that is the case, they wouldnt be able to also have shields. Although I'm all for them having two-handed swords while keeping a shield on their back for looks (comparing to when Link has the Biggy out in OoT or the GFS out in MM).
    Last edited by HerofTime; April 15, 2013 at 09:17 AM.

"Metsu Ryū Ōgi...! Gōma Tetsu Jin Ken!!!" -Gajeel Redfox

Quote Originally Posted by HerofTime View Post
    Someone correct me if im mistaken, but if I remember correctly Hylian Infantry have two-handed swords (whether they do or don't or just don't use them with both hands I don't remember). If that is the case, they wouldnt be able to also have shields. Although I'm all for them having two-handed swords while keeping a shield on their back for looks (comparing to when Link has the Biggy out in OoT or the GFS out in MM).
    They do, in fact, use two-handers. As for strapping a shield to their backs... I would say it depends on how strongly fantasy or historically accurate Neph cares to go. Mind you, I'm fully aware that the LoZ series is fantasy (OBVIOUSLY), so I won't object if back-shields make it into the game. Historically, shields may have been slung over the shoulder for transportation purposes (it's a damn sight more convenient than having to lug them around in your hand the whole time you're marching, does a number on your shield arm and ultimately decreases your combat effectiveness if you've been carrying it in hand all day), but were not worn strapped to the back in combat. When strapped to the body, they greatly restrict mobility and ultimately provide little protection. When attacking from behind, an enemy soldier has relative freedom to strike around the shield at areas unprotected by the passively-worn shield.

Theoretically, if one wears a shield strapped to the back, one can either bank on mobility OR protection. For the least detriment to mobility, a smaller shield that gets in the way as little as possible could be used, but for protection (which is the whole point), a larger, bulkier shield could be worn, but it would severely inhibit the ability to move or fight effectively. And, particularly for a soldier using a two-handed weapon, range of motion is everything. The heater-style shield used by the Hylians wouldn't be particularly useful in either regard; the kite shield utilized by castle guards would be even more restrictive, and only partially more protective when strapped to the back.

Incidentally, from a historical note, shields weren't all that common with the advent of plate armor. Soldiers in plate armor could rely on their armor to protect them better than any shield. It was the evolution of plate that allowed the widespread use of two-handed weapons by knights; they no longer had to tie up one hand holding a shield. Popular culture loves seeing a heavily armored knight holding a shield, but more than anything it would be an encumbrance, wholly inconvenient, and more often than not, completely unnecessary. You'll note that the Hylian infantry is armored in plate from head to toe, with the exception of the hip/groin area, with a surcoat over the whole affair.

[/history buff and medievalist reporting in]

HerofTime's Avatar Tiro

An example close to the subject I can think of off the top of my head is KoH's Corssbowmen. They have a shield on their back and if I remember correctly I recall them indeed having a shield bounus. No worries, the more detail the better!

"Metsu Ryū Ōgi...! Gōma Tetsu Jin Ken!!!" -Gajeel Redfox

What has been bugging me how swordman recruits have just a sword then Hylian Infintry get a great sword. The next unit up Hylian Knights gets a sword with a Hylian shield. Why? At the very least Swordman recruits should have a wooden shield.
    I was thinking give Hylian Infintry the sword and Hylian shield then give the Hylian Knight the great sword

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

^I've actually been thinking about this, but their are a few advantages to the current set-up:

1. While the Hylian Infantry do have a greater attack, they have less defense against missile attacks
    2. Slower animations mean more moments of vulnerability for Hylian Infantry, and the Hylian Knights are capable of defending themselves in melee more effectively
    3. While 2h units typically get a bonus to cavalry, they are less effective in certain circumstances against faster infantry (kind of in line with #2), and Hylian Knights can better deal with melee threats, as per their elite skill.
    4. Hylian Infantry, in my mind, rely on moral and armor to hold the line, and the fact that they have 2h-swords means that they can perform more effectively on offense for charging and breaking lines. The sword and shield set-up of the Hylian Knights allow them to fill their more defensive roles, as I believe that it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Shika_mech View Post
    What has been bugging me how swordman recruits have just a sword then Hylian Infintry get a great sword. The next unit up Hylian Knights gets a sword with a Hylian shield. Why? At the very least Swordman recruits should have a wooden shield.
    I was thinking give Hylian Infintry the sword and Hylian shield then give the Hylian Knight the great sword
    Actually It says in the Lore of Ocarina of Time that the knights of Hyrule use Hylians shields (it says this if you go to the bazzar and select the Hylian shield as if you are going to buy it) So that would go against lore, the Hylian shield is the Knights of Hyrules signature shield.

With that said, nothing prevents Hyrule soldiers from having different shield, regardless of their material.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeford View Post
    Actually It says in the Lore of Ocarina of Time that the knights of Hyrule use Hylians shields (it says this if you go to the bazzar and select the Hylian shield as if you are going to buy it) So that would go against lore, the Hylian shield is the Knights of Hyrules signature shield.
    Fair enough I forgot about that. I still dont understand the Infentry vs the recruits drastic different sword styles. I still say the recruits should get something like this http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images...rincess%29.png from Twilight princess
    Or instead have the recruits changed to something like squires. If the recruits use wooden shields they would be fighting like Hylian Knights. They could be learning to fight and be a knight. Sense there is a mounted recruit Like a mounted Hylian Knight the transition would be smooth. Then the Hylian infintry with the great sword could still be the basic front line soldier.

Senator

No, no, no the recruits must have a small dagger and be dressed in red with a huge target painted on them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    ^I've actually been thinking about this, but their are a few advantages to the current set-up:

1. While the Hylian Infantry do have a greater attack, they have less defense against missile attacks
    2. Slower animations mean more moments of vulnerability for Hylian Infantry, and the Hylian Knights are capable of defending themselves in melee more effectively
    3. While 2h units typically get a bonus to cavalry, they are less effective in certain circumstances against faster infantry (kind of in line with #2), and Hylian Knights can better deal with melee threats, as per their elite skill.
    4. Hylian Infantry, in my mind, rely on moral and armor to hold the line, and the fact that they have 2h-swords means that they can perform more effectively on offense for charging and breaking lines. The sword and shield set-up of the Hylian Knights allow them to fill their more defensive roles, as I believe that it should be.

Sorry Just saw this. Glad we are on thinking the same wavelength. You have good points. With that in mind it makes alot of sense. Still say give the recruits more of a shield. This way they could be defensive units when Knights arnt avaliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shika_mech View Post
    Still say give the recruits more of a shield. This way they could be defensive units when Knights arnt avaliable.
    Castle guards

No Jakeford Castle Guards and Town Guards sure could be used that way but would be better off used as anti calvery units. On the Flanks esp against Gurudo. Your gonna want them on the flanks.

One thing I'm wondering with the Kingdom is how do you recruit Mounted Knights in the campaign? Also how will the system with the Zeldas work like when Zelda I dies will Zelda II appear?

UndyingNeph, just so you know, In HTW Ver 3.0 and 3.0.1, in the world map of the campaign, Hyrule Prime is clipping badly with the trees. The trees are growing out of the castle it looks like. Just somthing you might wanna fix in future versions. I think everyone has this issue, It's a very small issue, but it kinda bothers me.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast