Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old features I wish we had back

Default Old features I wish we had back

There are a few features from earlier titles which I miss. I wish we had them back or at least something of similar value:

• A family tree showing my whole family, not only a few brothers and sons. I want to see the founder, his dead brothers and everyone else belong to the family. This feature was lost since Empire and in my eyes was lacking in Shogun 2.
    • Archers firing where I tell them to without positioning themselves for half an eternity. If I tell them to fire behind them, why is it that the whole formation turns 180° first? I think it annoying since Empire. Archers are not Line Infantry, after all.
    • Choosing your capital. It was especially annoying when characters spawned in your capital city and you played Chosokabe, Shimazu or Mori. If a monk or Ninja was imprisoned somewhere far in the north, it would take them many turns to go back to where they were before. Moving the capital to somewhere more central would've helped.
    • Re-training troops! I know they removed that from Shogun 2 to prevent troops from becoming too strong, but I wish we could keep this feature at least within reasonable limits, such as re-equipping better weapons and armor only. I wouldn't mind if it caused higher upkeep, but the possibility would certainly be nice.
    • Exchanging/buying/selling provinces through diplomaticy. Unlike those things above this went lost just recently, but I hope it makes a return.

I don't miss everything, though, like those annoying rebels or unhappiness due to distance to the capital. Is there anything you people miss from older TW games?

HusKatten's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Old features I wish we had back

I miss the building depth from Rome and Medieval 2. I want to build epic cities and not cities with just five or six buildings in it.

Civis

I want those back as well.

The one thing that I most definitely do NOT want to see a return of is the diplomat agent.
    I am Sam, Sam I am. Do you like green eggs and ham?

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by HusKatten View Post
    I miss the building depth from Rome and Medieval 2. I want to build epic cities and not cities with just five or six buildings in it.
    Definitely.
    I am Sam, Sam I am. Do you like green eggs and ham?

Quote Originally Posted by HusKatten View Post

Depth? That system had no depth, unless you think building everything means it has depth. the Shogun 2 system was much better. You actually had *gasp* choose what you wanted each city to become due to limited choices. Suddenly not all cities were super fortress(which is why I liked the Shogun 2 system, fortifying a city actually costed you) with great economies and military capabilities to boot(which lead to AI stack spam since all cities were production centers.

Did it feel more "epic"? Sure, it was indeed satisfying seeing your cities grow from tiny villages to huge metropolis(with their 10% pop growth!) but more depth? Not a chance. Hell its one of my beefs with Vainilla Rome TW, the tech tree and building tree was simple as hell.

And besides I liked in Shogun that each city felt somewhat more unique.

As far as what the TC goes I agree:

A family tree showing my whole family, not only a few brothers and sons. I want to see the founder, his dead brothers and everyone else belong to the family. This feature was lost since Empire and in my eyes was lacking in Shogun 2.

Definitively agreed. Although I do think the way its presented should change, the Family trees in Rome and Medieval looked horrible lategame.. Maybe make it so that you can see the "main" royal family and the "Branch " families separately. Instead of having the while gigantic family tree make it so that you can "Zoom in" and see the immediate family tree of each member.

Archers firing where I tell them to without positioning themselves for half an eternity. If I tell them to fire behind them, why is it that the whole formation turns 180° first? I think it annoying since Empire. Archers are not Line Infantry, after all.

I never minded that too much but I agree.

Choosing your capital. It was especially annoying when characters spawned in your capital city and you played Chosokabe, Shimazu or Mori. If a monk or Ninja was imprisoned somewhere far in the north, it would take them many turns to go back to where they were before. Moving the capital to somewhere more central would've helped.

Sure,personally I never changed my capital in the past games but its a nice, good feature that I don't know why it got removed(well, probably to prevent abusing from the bonuses your capital has).

Re-training troops! I know they removed that from Shogun 2 to prevent troops from becoming too strong, but I wish we could keep this feature at least within reasonable limits, such as re-equipping better weapons and armor only. I wouldn't mind if it caused higher upkeep, but the possibility would certainly be nice

For armor\Weapons? Yes, for replenishment ? Definitively not.

Exchanging/buying/selling provinces through diplomaticy. Unlike those things above this went lost just recently, but I hope it makes a return.

Agree'd, although it sometimes lead to horrible abuse by players(going to lose my city? Better sell it to the guy on the other side of the map!) but thats more of an AI problem than anything.

I'd love if they brought back the city\unit renaming system. If I want to rename my unit as "dudes that run away a lot" or rename Rome to "Disneyland" I should be able to!

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

Not re-equiping, I 'ing hated that.

Quote Originally Posted by hagagaga View Post
    Definitely.
    Agree. But...I don't want to build a city for a hundred years either until it is "completed". 6 buildings is not enough. 50 is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by windsupernova View Post
    For armor\Weapons? Yes, for replenishment ? Definitively not.
    Oh, I should've mentioned that. Of course only for re-equipping better weapons/armor, not for bonusses like accuracy or morale boost and certainly not for replenishment.

The way it worked in Napoleon and Shogun 2 was an improvement over earlier TW games, but I miss the option of upgrading the equipment of existing troops. Why is it easier to train and equip a new army rather than re-equipping an existing one?

Himster's Avatar Praeses

I want populations that are affected by recruitment, disease, famine and disasters, like in rome.
    I want to be able to look at my cities in peace time and see my citizens go about their daily lives, like in Rome.
    I want big family trees like in rome, but maybe those family members can choose if they want to be in the army or not, the distant relations at least, others can be sent off for education and research and embassies and can become agricultural advisors or something.
    I want mercenaries like Rome.
    I want Upgraded troops to have improved looking armour and weapons, like in med 2.
    I want a prisoner option list after sieges and battles like med 2.
    I want culture to be spread by bards, scholars and administers like in the last kingdom (a mod for med 2)
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

The big one that I miss: Battle terrain that was looked like where you were on the map, they "said" they brought it back in Shogun 2, but 99.9% of the time you got hilly forests. Another one would be the alt-click for secondary weapon command, I still don't like the whole melee mode thing, and culture based recruitment (so no recruiting legionaries at the frontier provinces until maybe 60% Roman)

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Raimeken View Post
    The big one that I miss: Battle terrain that was looked like where you were on the map, they "said" they brought it back in Shogun 2, but 99.9% of the time you got hilly forests. Another one would be the alt-click for secondary weapon command, I still don't like the whole melee mode thing, and culture based recruitment (so no recruiting legionaries at the frontier provinces until maybe 60% Roman)
    I like the melee mode. It was horrible in Medieval II when your archers would run at the enemy with their bows, get in charging distance, stop, switch weapons, and then charge again. In the meantime, the enemy infantry have already killed half of your archers.

The slow,epic,bloody,grueling,battles of medevil 1.

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

I want the crazy Carthaginian/Greek voice actors in battles back. They never fail to make me laugh.
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Black_Watch42's Avatar Libertus

yea, retraining units was something that i wish was in shogun 2. the terrain accuracy also has to have a comeback, the random battlegrounds of empire, napoleon and shogun 2 also took away from the immersion.

I really hope that city view makes a return, it really made you feel happy seeing the fruits of your labor when you invested so much into your faction's infrastructure lol. The wonders need to be in the game too, miss them a lot lol.

Tia's Avatar Primicerius

I want to be able to zoom into cities again, like in Rome. It was pointless, sure, but it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Watch42 View Post
    yea, retraining units was something that i wish was in shogun 2. the terrain accuracy also has to have a comeback, the random battlegrounds of empire, napoleon and shogun 2 also took away from the immersion.

I really hope that city view makes a return, it really made you feel happy seeing the fruits of your labor when you invested so much into your faction's infrastructure lol. The wonders need to be in the game too, miss them a lot lol.
    They were not random in Shogun 2.... Hell, fire up a Chokosabe campaign. Attack the rebels near your farm and you will see:

Your farm, your castle and the forests near the battle ground.

Now after you beat them they will retreat into the forest, now battle them again an you will dundundun be fighting at the forest entrance. Your farm and castle are still visible on the background. Hell, you can see the river north of where the battle is.

I never understood,why since empire there were random battlegrounds?I mean we had realistic battlegrounds in Rome and Medieval II...what gives?

Please bring back the in battle bar that showed how it was going.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

I miss being able to bribe enemy stacks.

What's wrong with Ishin Shishi? They bribe pretty good.

I miss diplomats though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast