Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA on modding:

Default CA on modding:

A new interview by Eurogamer

Total War has enjoyed a vibrant modding community for years. But it wasn't until earlier this year that official map editing tools were released by Creative Assembly. The voracious community wants more.

"There's a whole group of them who want more modding tools and for the game to be more open from that point of view," said Simpson, "and we're certainly working on that, to try and get as close as we want to what they want.

"As we develop our own tools it becomes easier for us to support modders, so we're intending to do that."
    "What they actually want is a toolset and capabilities which are better than what we actually have ourselves. They don't realise quite what a horrendous and manual process putting together some of these systems is!"

Whether those map editing tools will be included in the Rome 2 box - "we haven't specifically said that yet", Simpson said. "But I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case."

"We haven't really fleshed out what we can and can't do from a modding point of view," Simpson went on. "We're going to spend some more time actually talking to the modder groups and try to come up with a plan that actually delivers them what they need rather than what we think they need, which isn't necessarily the same thing."

To that end, Creative Assembly has organised a modding summit at Total War HQ in Horsham, England. That's next month. Key modders from the community will be invited and both parties will work together for mutual gain.

"And we'll show them a bit more about how we put things together so they understand that a bit better, because a lot of the time they think there are these mythical tools we use, which we can just release and everything will be fine and everybody else will make their own campaigns and it will be happy land for them. And that just isn't quite the way it is - it's not as easy as that, I'm afraid," Simpson stressed.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-2-information

Default Re: CA on modding:

Rezzed is tomorrow!
    "As we develop our own tools it becomes easier for us to support modders, so we're intending to do that."
    "What they actually want is a toolset and capabilities which are better than what we actually have ourselves. They don't realise quite what a horrendous and manual process putting together some of these systems is!"

Whether those map editing tools will be included in the Rome 2 box - "we haven't specifically said that yet", Simpson said. "But I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case."
    That sounds good, no?
    Last edited by SonOfCrusader76; July 05, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Are the 'key modders' able to actually get there? I'd actually chip in to help with their traveling expenses. I also really believe CA is trying here, which is particularly admirable considering how nasty some of these community members can be towards them.

Kuhndog's Avatar Centurion

That's good for them. I think CA is really trying but everybody keeps putting them down. I hope the modders who get invited have fun and enjoyable experience!
    Veni, vidi, vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar

Best line I've heard from CA in a while. That is if he meant campaign, which he probably didn't, it must be battle maps. Either way, it's an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    Best line I've heard from CA in a while. That is if he meant campaign, which he probably didn't, it must be battle maps. Either way, it's an improvement.
    Think he's talking about the ted editor, I hope we see a campaign map editor though.

"And we'll show them a bit more about how we put things together so they understand that a bit better, because a lot of the time they think there are these mythical tools we use, which we can just release and everything will be fine and everybody else will make their own campaigns and it will be happy land for them. And that just isn't quite the way it is - it's not as easy as that, I'm afraid," Simpson stressed.
    These were some of my favorite lines. He has a point. Its why I keep using mods for TW games is because the creativeness of this community is great, but the fact that everyone gripes over stuff gets really annoying. I bet he is right a lot of the time that most people gripe because they can gripe without realizing that this company is not just sitting around with unused mod tools. The complaining is very annoying.

The Great War Mod for NTW!

Indefinitely Banned

There a good company, they know it too, but there humble about it, and that’s because they do try to do the right thing, that’s why they must bewildered when people moan for the sake of moaning. Thanks for TEd! Great communication between the fans, updates and showing support for modders. I don't like some of the downright cold comments CA receive, but they handle it very professionally, and hopefully won't think most of us are like that, and i do value the work they put into these games. But i don't want them resting on there laurels yet, i want Rome 2 to be the alpha and omega, and its not looking bad at all atm

Modders aren't stupid - they would be able to make the dev tools work IF they were given access to them. CA just needs to look at the Steam top seller - Arma2 and realise why - Day Z

Mods sell boxs.

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Well this meeting seems a good idea.
    Of course it would be great to get help modding the new game and have a very interactive CA/mod community relationship.
    Things did kind of dry up on that front with the empire release and a return to the good old days would be very welcome.

regards,

mags

sponsered by the noble Prisca

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

That sounds more positive than I was expecting, tbh! It would be great if CA would integrate moddability in their design process. It's the only way to do it.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Libertus

It is quite true and I have totally understood why CA has said about ETW and the latest games being way more complicated to mod.

I think it would be quite beneficial if they decide after that summit to do something similar to what the Starcraft 2 developers did: they decided to make a tool, which is the Galaxy editor, to make the maps and missions for the game. So the developers use the same map-making tool as the community does to make the content, which allows the community to do all the cool custom maps that are available for the game. So maybe they can start working on a tool/tools for their future games that allow this to happen.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke View Post
    Are the 'key modders' able to actually get there? I'd actually chip in to help with their traveling expenses. I also really believe CA is trying here, which is particularly admirable considering how nasty some of these community members can be towards them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    That sounds more positive than I was expecting, tbh! It would be great if CA would integrate moddability in their design process. It's the only way to do it.
    Even if ^this guy Muizer goes alone, i would be happy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentGB View Post
    There a good company, they know it too, but there humble about it, and that’s because they do try to do the right thing, that’s why they must bewildered when people moan for the sake of moaning. Thanks for TEd! Great communication between the fans, updates and showing support for modders. I don't like some of the downright cold comments CA receive, but they handle it very professionally, and hopefully won't think most of us are like that, and i do value the work they put into these games. But i don't want them resting on there laurels yet, i want Rome 2 to be the alpha and omega, and its not looking bad at all atm
    That's right - they are trying; that's all you can expect from anyone. And personally, I think the results of them 'trying' have been pretty damn good down the years! TW games have accounted for more of my playing time than all other games put together.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

I also really believe CA is trying here, which is particularly admirable considering how nasty some of these community members can be towards them.
    I think that the CA is really trying hard this time. They are usually trying but this time seems special...

Princess Cadance's Avatar Domesticus

Ha,this is great! It really sounds like CA cares and is trying to work with us,the community. I hope things go well.
    "Sing to the LORD a new song;sing to the LORD, all the earth."-Psalm 96:1
    "A true man hates no one."-Napoleon Bonaparte

Orko's Avatar Praeses

I don't know what to think of this. on the one hand, it is quite promising, but on the other - I'm not sure I trust CA after ETW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

I'm not sure I trust CA after ETW.
    Why ?, what happened after ETW ?

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    I mean, they promised us all those things before they released ETW and raised our expectations way too much, but when I got to play the game it was kind of only half-finished, so since then I'm a little more skeptical of CA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

MatrixStorm's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    It's quite obvious what happened, but maybe you just didn't play/read about it.

To sum it up: the whole vanilla game was bugged as hell (one of the developers even admitted that he was ashamed to give his family a copy of the gave before the first patch), some historical flaws, more bugs, horrible diplomacy, lack of moddabillity (while they promosed support to modders) and a lot of already included files which went on sale as DLC.
    Oh, did I mention it had a lot of bugs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast