Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: modding campaign map

Default Re: modding campaign map

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    I think the last thing people want to do is mod "Shogun" even if by necessity that's the first thing they need to do.

I think given tools, people want to make an expanded and better Empire Total War.

Afterall, Shogun is basically geared for Dark Age - Gilded Age warfare and I think most people will agree that what's already been done for Shogun is a fairly good Japanese warfare simulator.
    There is no point in making an expanded Empire. The models and sounds to make a European campaign are all still there, and we can still port units from Napoleon and Empire into Shogun 2. The only real problem might be not having theatres; Shogun 2 might have theatres permanently disabled which would suck.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Porting ETW/NTW models to S2TW would not be a piece of cake because S2TW "skeletons" differ from ETW/NTW, they have extra "bones".
    Most differences are about the head, but body had extra joints too (I don't remember their names, but they are about armor I think).
    Rigid models are also different, this means we would have the same problem to port them to S2TW.
    This means we would have to rework vertex weights (the link between vertex (shape) and joints (bones)) and this is a really time consuming job.

I would be interested if spartan_warrior can explain how he proceed with ArcGIS.
    If I can find some free time, I would like to try with QGIS.
    Last edited by wangrin; October 15, 2012 at 06:14 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Yeah I don't see the point in a total conversion of Shogun to a 1700s or early 1800s mod. If there's gonna be a total conversion of this game, the best bet would probably be for either a return to the medieval ages (given that Medieval is the only franchise that hasn't yet or isn't getting an update to modern graphical fidelity) or a Victoria total conversion, given that FoTS gives a lot to work off in terms of units, voiceover, etc that could contribute to a Victorian total conversion. I don't know why people are so desperate for an update to Empire given that the graphics are already pretty good.

Personally the thought of returning to Medieval warfare with Shogun 2's graphics and gameplay makes me very excited.

spartan_warrior's Avatar Combating the ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    I would be interested if spartan_warrior can explain how he proceed with ArcGIS.
    If I can find some free time, I would like to try with QGIS.
    I don't have much experience with QGIS so I am not sure if what I did in ArcGIS is possible with that program. What I did in Arc is that once I added the data I desired I then chose to export that data, originally I exported to a CAD file but I found that did not preserve my projection data, so I then tried a Adobe Illustrator vector format and that worked fine. So if QGIS supports exporting to .AI then that would be what do do. I am at school right now, but I will check QGIS and see if this is possible.

EDIT: I just checked in QGIS and it seems that you can only export data to PDF and SVG. Now I am not sure, as my school laptop doesn't have 3ds Max, but I believe those can still be imported into that, atleast SVG I think.

Also, I should point out that the map that I am designing isn't even really intended for Shogun2, I am creating this to one day use in Rome2, which is my ultimate goal, I know creating this map will take a really long time which is why a am beginning on it now. Nor do I intend to try to implement such a large map into Shogun right away, once I get my data created I will start make small experiments with the existing maps in Shogun, trying to strip them to their most basic form.
    Last edited by spartan_warrior; October 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Thing is guys we havnt had a mod that changed the campaign map in idk more than 5 years. Since Med2 Kingdoms. So anyone who changes the borders or adds a region will make a major breakthrough.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by spartan_warrior View Post
    I plan on cutting a small section out of the map (probably Sicily or Ireland) and building a map from that..
    My vote is ... Sicily!
    Break it down to 7-8 regions or so and someone will make a few Punic, Greek and Roman units for a Punic wars mod.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Litany of fury's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Toasty Fresh View Post
    Yeah I don't see the point in a total conversion of Shogun to a 1700s or early 1800s mod. If there's gonna be a total conversion of this game, the best bet would probably be for either a return to the medieval ages (given that Medieval is the only franchise that hasn't yet or isn't getting an update to modern graphical fidelity) or a Victoria total conversion, given that FoTS gives a lot to work off in terms of units, voiceover, etc that could contribute to a Victorian total conversion. I don't know why people are so desperate for an update to Empire given that the graphics are already pretty good.

Personally the thought of returning to Medieval warfare with Shogun 2's graphics and gameplay makes me very excited.
    Trust me if there was a substantial breakthrough then people would make those kind of C17/C18 mods, especially with the machine guns seen in fots.

Moderator Emeritus

Machineguns in C17? That's for late Victorian era.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Thing is guys we havnt had a mod that changed the campaign map in idk more than 5 years. Since Med2 Kingdoms. So anyone who changes the borders or adds a region will make a major breakthrough.
    The reason no mapping has been done in 5 years is because no one knew how to edit or even read the data which created the maps, but now with the tools we can. CA has even stated that serious creation of campaign maps is possible now. And looking from the sample MAX files, the structure is still very similar to that of the days of Rome and Med2, except now we have splines and polygons defining geography instead of TGA images, and ESF files instead of basic text files. We still have a portion which defines regions, city locations, trade routes, etc. Placement of characters, region ownership is still defined in a somewhat similar fashion.

There is no real mountain to climb now, the tools are all right here. As someone who has modded the maps of Rome and Med2 extensively; now that I can see the structure of the warscape maps, its not all the foreign, it will just take alot of work. Thankfully I was able to realize that GIS data will be able to be used as a base. From the work I've been doing over the past week, I cannot imagine creating the spline/polygon for the outline of a large map from nothing.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, good luck to you sir!
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Litany of fury View Post
    Trust me if there was a substantial breakthrough then people would make those kind of C17/C18 mods, especially with the machine guns seen in fots.
    There were no machine guns of any type in the 18th century, with the exception of the Puckle gun, which was included in Empire anyway. There's no point in going back to the 18th century when we have a whole game devoted to it and extensive mods for it already available, not even for the graphics, because the graphics in Empire are already good enough.

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    Rigid models are also different, this means we would have the same problem to port them to S2TW.
    This means we would have to rework vertex weights (the link between vertex (shape) and joints (bones)) and this is a really time consuming job.
    Actually S2TW still accepts old rigidmodels, not only the updated v.2 models used in game:
    NTW Grand Battery of The Convention:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

ETW Earthworks

Havent tried it yet, but I believe they can be easily made to show in TEd Battlemap Editor.

Strange thing is, when i assign the ability, it doesnt show up...so i thought it was a failure; but in the campaign play, the Battle AI deploys them!...only The AI could deploy ETW deployables. This means the ability is in the game, but its just dont show in the Player's UI for some reasons...

spartan_warrior...what a long term goal you have there...you'll bassically readying yourselves when CA finally opened Rome 2 for modding...
    Right, for S2TW mod, Eastern Asian Maps will be more suitable, considering the 1-year time limit until R2TW come out...except if the mod aims for Late 19th century mod, in case R2TW dont support gunnery mechanics anymore...
    Last edited by weirdoascensor; October 16, 2012 at 04:23 AM.

I just thought I would give a little update to some of the progress I am making on creating this data, so far I have all of Europe converted to to work as a polygon to match the game format. I hope to get the coasts of Iran and India done my the end of this week, I have midterms next week so I don't think I will get any more done until after they are over. But once they're done I am going to start manipulating the game maps, trying to strip them to produce a simple basic workable outline to build upon.

Also, I have been playing around with some binary topographical data I found from NASA, I projected it with ArcGIS to create a heightmap 29782x23180 pixels, the image is about 1.3 gigs Here is a sample of the detail it has, Sicily at 100% zoom (also the quality is even better then this, as JPEG doesn't save Greyscale well):

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdoascensor View Post
    what a long term goal you have there...you'll bassically readying yourselves when CA finally opened Rome 2 for modding...
    Right, for S2TW mod, Eastern Asian Maps will be more suitable, considering the 1-year time limit until R2TW come out...except if the mod aims for Late 19th century mod, in case R2TW dont support gunnery mechanics anymore...
    Part of the reason why I am starting this now is because I believe it is going to take a year before I will have this map near to the detail which I want to to achieve. Also I imagine once I getting things working in Shogun I will probably start on something aimed more for Asia, perhaps a larger more detailed Japan or even maybe a map including China, I don't know yet, I am open for suggestions on that.
    Last edited by spartan_warrior; October 16, 2012 at 08:45 PM.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

spartan warrior, it looks amazing. If CA can't give us the map we want for Rome 2, then I'm sure you can +rep

BTW- don't worry about theaters, because the Empire engine has the whole world created anyway, and there are only restriction borders around each theater to stop the player from seeing them, but they are still there. I think theaters are just to stop the game from rendering so much at once.

Your work so far is unparalleled buddy, keep it up.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

omg all this developemen is so exciting.

Thinking of the possibilities, a ETW/NTW remake on SH2 engine, including Wooden and armored Ships, in battle swithable fire drills, Raildoad and modern weapon systems.

the dream makes me cry

All my best wishes to your project!!!

really want to see an american civil war mod now. if i had any talent of time i would do it myself. keep up the good work

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpullpus View Post
    really want to see an american civil war mod now. if i had any talent of time i would do it myself. keep up the good work
    I point you towards the link on my signature (click on it)

i know about that mod for ETW (and its good) but i was thinking more of a ACW mod for shogun2 using FOTS units and things.

Herr Doctor's Avatar Biarchus

Last edited by Herr Doctor; October 19, 2012 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S-te-Fan View Post
    I've already found this

that is wonderful news to know about campaign map can be shaped in 3ds max. But where is the campaign map file that can be opened in 3ds max or which file will we use to do access it.