Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: modding campaign map

Default Re: modding campaign map

Hi
    Well, (I will use here coordinates from 3DS max, will be easier to explain... and I will give you more extensive answer) the largest published campaign map is from Morning Sun and has size: X=-640,640, Y=-320,320 - so 1280x640. And this is also size of surface in 3DS Max on which is vanilla campaign map (but in vanilla map take only small part of free space). However, probably is possible to create larger map (for test I did map with size 1280x1280, but I didn't push it more).
    But as you noticed, game not load models for settlements which are too far from coorodinate x=0 and y=0. It only vissual bug, but I didn't find way to fix it yet.
    So, if you want to have all settlements models visible, then you can use space around x=-350,350 and similar for y (so, a bit more than half of avialable space in x coordinate and full space in y coordinate). Sadly I don't know more accurate coordinates, but in Last Alliance I have town in coordinates x=331 and still is visible.
    Wolf girl who likes to draw anime girls ❤️ DeviantArt, Twitter
    Also mad creator of

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
    TWCenter Forum, MODDB, Patreon

Janbāru's Avatar Libertus

Many thanks for your answer Sara
    As I'm new in modding Shogun 2, I'll start with something not as big as Morning Sun. So, if I get it right, a 700x700 pixels map should be fine, considering that most of the land mass won't be on the "edges" (or just for the background - like Korea in the original game).

I actually tested the map by 2560 by 1280. That also worked.

Are the settlements outside the square with 350 pixels radius still visible on the campaign map?

no they aren't. It's a visual bug for one reason or another. The max visible settlement renderer is x-350, 350, y-350, 350. In to that square of coordinates on the map. This need to be investigated more as i am sure it's just a visual thing for campaign map models. Because flags and unit parts do get rendered outside those coordinates. In Fots you have the same issue (also with water). But with the water i found the appropriate xml file to be rendered outside the appropriate coordinate. So i am sure it's (maybe) an xml file that you need to write and specify the coordinates to render outside those coordinates.

The main difference between Shogun 2 and FotS regarding the mapping is about the textures, right?

I mean "technically"

The ground textures yes. And much more things are different. Fots is technically a different game.

To be honest, I haven't made my mind yet about which "game" I'm gonna use: Shogun 2 or FotS

Depends what kind of mod you wane make. My suggestion, start with something small and build up from there to get experience with the modding tools and such. As modding Shogun 2 (or fots) can sometimes be frustrating (the game is a bit picky sometimes).

I was thinking about something during the medieval Era, probably including Ireland and British Islands for a start and starting around 1200 AD.

Both games can be good. But maybe Shogun 2 is better in this case.

I prefer the map textures from FotS tbh. Regarding the map, I've posted a pic of the area I'd like to cover here. If I keep it at 700 pixels side, I should be fine

You can import campaign map textures and things like tree models from FotS to base Shogun 2 (Sengoku) campaign, it nothing hard. Personally I suggest use Sengoku, because as I noticed FotS is a bit more problematic in modding (e.g. if you would use FotS, then would be best to move whole campaign to Sengoku campaign menu, because FotS has restriction here for playable factions).

About planning campaign. On "paper" I suggest prepare plan in the same proportion like available vanilla space (so 2x1 in base Shogun 2). This cause that will be not problem to fit all need parts of map to each other (so, map which you prepare in 3DS Max, and visual maps like heighmap, detail map (textures) and shroud (painted fog of war)). You can prepare plan in any resolution, just keep proportion. E.g. my plan has resolution 15024x7514, and base on this I'm doing everything. And in case of my mod this plan from start is prepared "artistically" because in last part I import this plan as shroud to game (shroud has resolution 32768x16384, but after upscaling my map still looks enough good)

Maybe I show here my work pipeline (even if I sometimes I do this thing in different order).

1. Plan of campaign map (is here every important thing, position of settlements, roads, rivers, region borders, forest, hills, mountains, etc. (you can also plan on start where will be mines, small towns, farms and ports) (I downscaled resolution here):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

2. Heighmap (all space in heighmap file = all free space in 3DS Max file) - I use brushed from S2 and Attila TED to draw mountains, etc.

3. Detail map (here available space = playable area in DB files, personally I set playable area as x=-640x640, y=-320,320 even if I not use this whole space, just is easier to do detail map with this setting)

4. Map in 3DS Max (here I use all previous maps as references) - I show here only part of layers

5. Add plan of campaign map as shroud to game

6. Final effect (I missed here some steps like adding trees models, but it isn't tutorial)
    Also mad creator of

Many thanks for these explanations Sara
    That's very helpful.

Anyone knows how much the rivers are impacting the map? I'm currently preparing some work to mod a campaign map and I'm at the stage where I have to choose which river I'll show on the map and which one I 'won't.
    Thanks in advance.

Well, in general rivers are obstacle to the army - depends of your decision whether on river will be fords/bridges and how much. In fact you can even make that river will be only visual and armies will can to cross it in any place
    Also mad creator of

Thanks Sarah.

Here I am again with my silly questions: what is the maximum number of regions allowed in Shogun 2?
    Is there any list of the hardcoded limits for the game like the one in Med2?
    Thanks in advance

As I know, generaly not. Only limit, it limit of regions on minimap (255), but still you can do campaign map with more regions, just minimap will not show these regions. Solution of this problem are theaters (like Europe and India in ETW), but I didn't test it yet
    Last edited by Sara Temer; March 29, 2021 at 09:26 AM.
    Also mad creator of