Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rise of the Warring States Campaign - V0.1 Beta Available

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Default The Rise of the Warring States Campaign - V0.1 Beta Available

The Ashikaga shoguns have ruled for over two hundred years. The prosperous economy and the ambitions of the governors grow in equal measure. At the very time the Ashikaga shogunate requires solidarity, two key deputies, the Yamana and the Hosokawa, declare war against each other. The Ashikaga must reclaim their dimmed control over the country and the Hosokawa and Yamana must finish their war.

This is the Onin War; the Rise of the Warring States!

Download the V0.1 Beta Here

Campaign Features -26 factions: not only do we have the Hosokawa, Yamana and Ashikaga, but also to-be prominent factions like the Takeda, Shimazu and Uesugi and utter unknowns like the Ishhiki, Chiba and Yuki!
    -Two campaign dynamics: the Hosokawa-Yamana War and the fall of the Ashikaga.
    -Two cosmetic unit changes: in place of levy units are ashigaru units, dressed quite appropriately for the early Sengoku Jidai.
    -A new frontend background: Enjoy a mountain and sea scenery and subsequently forget the campaign you sat down to play!

What you won't find in the V0.1 Beta:
    -Victory conditions; it's free-play for now

Campaign Concepts The act that sparked the Onin War was a Hosokawa attack on Yamana forces. As you can expect from a total war game, that Kyoto-centered instigation is stretched and flattened to create a lengthy campaign. The campaign can be played as three factions, two of which are the Hosokawa and Yamana. They each govern seven provinces and already border each other – no need to wait around to get into the action!

The Onin War highlighted the Ashikaga’s inability to control its subjects. In the campaign, this is represented by a slow decline in relations between them and the majority of clans. If they have any hope of reasserting control, they will need to war, bribe and influence their way across Japan. While the Hosokawa and Yamana each have seven provinces, the Ashikaga have a hefty thirteen. Don’t be fooled, however, as they have only three eternally friendly factions in the country and the aforementioned knack for being hated!

In general, the modification aims to be a small scale total conversion which avoids getting bogged down by desires for hundreds of tweaks. As such, some 12th century themes are still present, but are overshadowed by mod features and period obscurity.

The Team Anton III: Head honcho, campaign & gameplay design, pretty much everything except for units
    ♔The Black Knight♔: Unit design & implementation
    Nightwish: He's technically not a team member, though he is more than welcome. He established a work in progress thread for an Onin War mod, though he was forced to stop work. I asked for his permission to adopt the campaign concept ages ago, and finally we see the fruits of that!

Last edited by Akaie; July 29, 2012 at 05:59 AM.

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

Default Re: The Rise of the Warring States

A first look at the heraldry (subject to change):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Ashigaru of 1467:
    Last edited by Akaie; July 06, 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Damn Bro,

It's ROTS for Sekigahara!

You know what I'm gonna say, but I'll say it anyway:

You tha Man!

P.S.

You know that you opened up a can of worms. Now the peasants won't be appeased until they have FOTS Sekigahara, lol.
    Last edited by Maverick Houston; July 05, 2012 at 02:10 AM.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Dang. All I can find are depictions of Gempei scenes.

Oh and btw, for clan colors and mons, there is a more easy way. GET SENGOKU DEMO of Paradox if you dont have the Sengoku game, for some odd reason, Paradox's first serious foray in the Sengoku Jidai with a grand strategy, they seem to like to make it more obscure by having a campaign start in the Onin War. No wonder its not popular AFAIK.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Houston View Post
    Damn Bro,

It's ROTS for Sekigahara!

You know what I'm gonna say, but I'll say it anyway:

You tha Man!

P.S.

You know that you opened up a can of worms. Now the peasants won't be appeased until they have FOTS Sekigahara, lol.
    Thanks .

Ohh yes. FOTS. What to do, what to do .

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    Dang. All I can find are depictions of Gempei scenes.

Oh and btw, for clan colors and mons, there is a more easy way. GET SENGOKU DEMO of Paradox if you dont have the Sengoku game, for some odd reason, Paradox's first serious foray in the Sengoku Jidai with a grand strategy, they seem to like to make it more obscure by having a campaign start in the Onin War. No wonder its not popular AFAIK.
    Got it. I should really commit some time to playing it...

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

A W E S O M E!

I have nothing else to add

Added a few more details about the campaign and a pic of the ashigaru. Due to it being a 'straight to the point' total conversion, it wasn't taking a huge amount of time and I can make these things in my sleep now . I just have to make the clan agent icons and the set of three crest images. The colours might need a stern revision too!

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Default Re: The Rise of the Warring States - The Onin War Scenario Mod!

I admit I am not that familiar with the Onin War................. yet. (gimme a month and I'll start to understand inside jokes 'bout it. )

But where there already sashimono, at least I'm sure the framed horo is already invented.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

This is for you Rommel

Btw, the first date I could find of sashimonos being worn by ashigaru was in 1523. But it seems they may have been worn as early as the 1460's.
    Last edited by Maverick Houston; July 08, 2012 at 12:36 AM.

Hey could I help as well? Looks like its going to be a great project to start up. I could create units and stuff if you wish.

Also come up with ideas too.

I plan on having over 30 new units created for this mod by next week or so.

Is anyone really interested in this idea? Would lots of people like to play it?

Sure, this is an excellent idea!

Quote Originally Posted by SamWarrior View Post
    I plan on having over 30 new units created for this mod by next week or so.

Is anyone really interested in this idea? Would lots of people like to play it?
    Yeah, sounds great to me.

The main hangup I have when trying new units is the sound bug, which we have that covered with Sinfonia, and unit cards. I need good unit cards that are worthy of the new units. But I see people complaining all the time that there's not enough unit diversity.

Also, I can put a tag for it on the end of the Seki trailer. Or we can give it it's own little 15 or 30 sec. spot

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Amazing Anton ! Your appetite knows no limits , that would be absolutely great indeed !

If you do it then all major periods of Sengoku would be covered by the game except the 1582-1592 era which is peculiar ( rise of Hideyoshi post Nobunaga death ) as it is the prequel of your Sekigahara campaign , but last time i asked i was answered that another Azuchi-Momoyama mod was in the making , hopefully they are still working on it

But Onin wars , that would be really cool , of course no matchlock troops , little gunpowder in fact (maybe a few Chinese arquebuses though ? ) , but you could add variety with different grades of archer troops and mounted archers , different types of levies with spears and naginata , distinction between ji-samurais and elite samurai units , religious troops and bandit/mercenaries troops as well since that war dragged for a long time and caused much devastations around Kyoto partly due to mercenary ashigarus which came from far away lands .

Yea that could be a very nice mod when i think about it , it would have the feel of ROTS although with infantry units more closely resembling vanilla and mounted units between ROTS and vanilla (i guess a cavalry with less shock and charge ability as Takeda's Yari cavs or Greatguards etc.. of vanilla but more mounted horsemen and in greater numbers perhaps ) , but with more variety and clan specific units (ikkis made of ronins and rebellious peasants and ji-samurais , Yamana clan units , Ouchi's clan units , Hosokawa clan units , religious ikkos specific units etc ..)

Anyway , my warm thanks and wishes of good luck for this endeavour Anton !
    Last edited by DeMolay; July 10, 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks, DeMolay .

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Quote Originally Posted by DeMolay View Post
    Amazing Anton ! Your appetite knows no limits , that would be absolutely great indeed !

If you do it then all major periods of Sengoku would be covered by the game except the 1582-1592 era which is peculiar ( rise of Hideyoshi post Nobunaga death ) as it is the prequel of your Sekigahara campaign , but last time i asked i was answered that another Azuchi-Momoyama mod was in the making , hopefully they are still working on it

But Onin wars , that would be really cool , of course no matchlock troops , little gunpowder in fact (maybe a few Chinese arquebuses though ? ) , but you could add variety with different grades of archer troops and mounted archers , different types of levies with spears and naginata , distinction between ji-samurais and elite samurai units , religious troops and bandit/mercenaries troops as well since that war dragged for a long time and caused much devastations around Kyoto partly due to mercenary ashigarus which came from far away lands .

Yea that could be a very nice mod when i think about it , it would have the feel of ROTS although with infantry units more closely resembling vanilla and mounted units between ROTS and vanilla (i guess a cavalry with less shock and charge ability as Takeda's Yari cavs or Greatguards etc.. of vanilla but more mounted horsemen and in greater numbers perhaps ) , but with more variety and clan specific units (ikkis made of ronins and rebellious peasants and ji-samurais , Yamana clan units , Ouchi's clan units , Hosokawa clan units , religious ikkos specific units etc ..)

Anyway , my warm thanks and wishes of good luck for this endeavour Anton !
    Believe me, i did my research. Almost all the units you mentioned will be added before hopfully august. If you have good unit ideas, feel free to pm me so i can add more to the roster.

This looks quite promising! I'm glad to see that it's you working on it too, Anton! I've always found the Onin War to be quite interesting, if for no other reason than its role in setting off the Sengoku Jidai. I'd love to help in any way I can (well, really only with historical information...I fail at modding). In any case, good luck! I'll be keeping an eye on this.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I read the title in part before I click the thread. Thought it's China's Warring States.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Still, spread the word about this mod.

It does good to Anton's enthusiasm and self esteem to see his mods attract several people.

It also helps the the team work faster.*hint* *hint*

neat idea you two.. good luck ^_^
    ~My Rome 2 Mods~
    No Moral, Land and Naval
    ---------------------------
    ~My Shogun 2 Mods~
    1 Turn Buildings all campaigns
    ---------------------------
    No unit moral, Land and Naval

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast