View Poll Results: How Moddable Do You Want Rome 2 Total War to be?

Voters
323. You may not vote on this poll
  • Complete Moddability: Allow me to mod every single aspect of the game as possible. Same, if not more than Rome/Medieval 2

279 86.38%
  • OPTION 3 + Let me edit/change campaign map + Add/Subtract Provinces + Create/Edit Factions

31 9.60%
  • Moddable to the extent of Empire, Napoleon, and Shogun 2

6 1.86%
  • Limited: Let me just edit unit stats, change colors, etc.

0 0%
  • None: Just want to enjoy game as it is

7 2.17%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We Want a Moddable Rome 2: Total War!

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: We Want a Moddable Rome 2: Total War!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan113112 View Post
    I would really like Rome II to be more accesable for modders. The mod folder idea in Medieval II was a great leap forward from Rome I. Why did they get rid of this amazing feature?
    Warscape's mod.packs are actually much² better than RTW/Med2 modfolder.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

The total war games appeal not only to gamers, but also to history buffs and fans of all sorts of fantasy fiction. Making a total war game not (or hardly) moddable in my eyes disregards the full potential any total war game has beyond the vanilla game.

The very nature and formula of this cool series of games is just made for modding - hence the frustration when the recent titels proved to be so inaccessible.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Who would vote for anything but option 1

Wolfsblut's Avatar Semisalis

If they made one game almost not/not moddable it will be the first total war title i don´t buy.
    I got 1225 hours on my medieval2/kingdoms on steam at this moment.
    Without mods it wouldn´t be 300 hours.
    May the earth be light upon you, lest the dogs can dig you out more easy.

STELLover's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsblut View Post
    If they made one game almost not/not moddable it will be the first total war title i don´t buy.
    I got 1225 hours on my medieval2/kingdoms on steam at this moment.
    Without mods it wouldn´t be 300 hours.
    LOL same here, except for me I almost always play mods... i only play vanilla for Multiplayer matches

ROME 2 Mod: More Cities and Settlements on Campaign Map:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194761024

Current technology limits moddability in such a way that it becomes nigh impossible.

Even if they did make the "internal" systems of the game more accessible, it would take someone much more experienced in cell and database editing.

The only way we can see large scale modding is the addition of a good set of mod tools, which might actually be a likely prospect judging by the current size of the team and the effort going into the game.

I personally hope for a unit editor of some kind where you can import custom models and edit basic stats. Nothing to fancy, just switching helmets and colors. After all, you can already do such things with the current engine, it's just you need to use cell and database editing.

I also hope for a map editor where you can edit the campaign map. That isn't likely to happen though...

^ I dont think making good mod tools would be hard for them, unless they make some BS excuse that most people tend to believe, "2 hard, heres some dlc dumbass".

KR153's Avatar Semisalis

... and I want drip free ice cream and cats that don´t lose that much hair and and and. Will this ever stop?
    NIE WEDDER SLAAV VUN ROM!

Quote Originally Posted by KR153 View Post
    ... and I want drip free ice cream and cats that don´t lose that much hair and and and. Will this ever stop?
    Take a hint, boyo, the team for this is, what did they say, oh yeah, 4 TIMES LARGER than Rome. They really have no excuse this time around for modding. People act like it is entirely impossible to make a modded game, mostly because they are pampered babies growing to fond of consoles.

Mods can and are still being made for current gen games. Skyrim is still being modded (though some of those mods are... questionable) and it is relatively new (at least the engine is). People like you just give Devs a free ride to skip out on the modding content. If it can be made, it really should be made. Companies just don't want to do the extra work, and it has gotten ridiculous. I think I even heard that Battlefield 3 could have been easily modified, but they actually locked up the game's internal code on purpose to sell DLC. Honestly, I wouldn't put it past them, and I get the feeling that CA was doing the same thing with Empire and Napoleon.

Now, Shogun II is more mod friendly, but not on the level it needs to be. It is entirely possible to make mod tools for a game. Even if they aren't out on release, it would still be nice to see them again.
    Last edited by Radzeer; February 06, 2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: language

hochmeister devin's Avatar Senator

Honestly i find shogun 2 quite moddable all we need is a tool to make new models and we are golden. Having new animations would be nice but, that would require one of us to have mo-cap equiptment and experts in how these weapons were used.
    My mods
    -Mod Leader for the Wheel Of Time This is not the beginning, but it is a beginning
    -Mod Leader for Shogun 2: Foreign Invasion if you want a mod with alot of units this is for you, not only is there the 40 units CA made theres planned to be atleast 177 NEW units when its done.
    -Modder in the World War I and Shogun II project. The only full scale mod for FOTS and it plays nothing like FOTS. FOTS may have Gatling guns, WW1&S2 has tekidanto samurai, SNLF, MGs, kisho snipers, assault infantry(shotguns) just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Soviet View Post
    Oh look, another snooty bastard come here to ruin the fun.

Take a hint, boyo, the team for this is, what did they say, oh yeah, 4 TIMES LARGER than Rome. They really have no excuse this time around for modding. People act like it is entirely impossible to make a modded game, mostly because they are pampered babies growing to fond of consoles.

Mods can and are still being made for current gen games. Skyrim is still being modded (though some of those mods are... questionable) and it is relatively new (at least the engine is). People like you just give Devs a free ride to skip out on the modding content. If it can be made, it really should be made. Companies just don't want to do the extra work, and it has gotten ridiculous. I think I even heard that Battlefield 3 could have been easily modified, but they actually locked up the game's internal code on purpose to sell DLC. Honestly, I wouldn't put it past them, and I get the feeling that CA was doing the same thing with Empire and Napoleon.

Now, Shogun II is more mod friendly, but not on the level it needs to be. It is entirely possible to make mod tools for a game. Even if they aren't out on release, it would still be nice to see them again.
    This man is speaking the truth.

I think this is very easy poll. Most all will select first option.

“I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size”― J.R.R. Tolkien

KR153's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Soviet View Post
    Oh look, another snooty bastard come here to ruin the fun.

Oh look, another that hides behind his anonymity and replaces his opinion with stupid insults. So you are a programmer huh? Do you have ANY professional background that supports your stupid and childish claims? Any? You compare the Warscape engine with Skyrim´s engine? Pffffft! With that statement alone you disqualify yourself for any real discussion. All your claims are purely made up by wishful thinking and you know that.
    "I get the feeling..." yeah, buddy and that´s about it. A feeling and not more. All you people do is demand and pile up statements of "gimme gimme gimme"
    I would feel sorry for you if you wasn´t that ignorant. The real sad thing is that others that don´t know any better might take you any serious.
    Oh, and I don´t give anybody a free card. I simply listen to people that have far more knowledge of the matter than I do. (Give that a try sometimes)
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 06, 2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: insulting others
    NIE WEDDER SLAAV VUN ROM!

Senator

really, really want this moddable - making it moddable will keep on bringing in the company revenue from the game long after it's original sale, as people who wouldn't have bought it otherwise will buy it to play mods based on it

spartan_warrior's Avatar Combating the ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by hochmeister devin View Post
    Honestly i find shogun 2 quite moddable all we need is a tool to make new models and we are golden.
    We have one... it's called the Assembly Kit.

I am cautiously optimistic that we will see something along the lines of another Assembly Kit being released for Rome 2 sometime after release, probably shortly after the release of the major expansion. My only concern is that given the community's seeming lack of interest in Shogun 2's Assembly kit CA might not deem the effort to do it again worthwhile. Although, given the popularity of Rome 2, I hope they will.

Nizam's Avatar Ordinarius

OFC 'Complete Moddability'

Ottoman Total Overhaul received the 2nd favorite Overhaul/Compilation Mod - 2016 award!
    by_TotalWarTurkiye

It will be like Shogun 2, too hard to make good mods out of it/devs doesnt care about modding. Either way, Rome 2 will be pretty, fun to play for a few months, then shelved.

Decanus

I wonder why anyone would choose anything over option 1, that has everything the other options have
    What people would get pissed at? for getting more options and gameplay? lol

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    It will be like Shogun 2, too hard to make good mods out of it/devs doesnt care about modding. Either way, Rome 2 will be pretty, fun to play for a few months, then shelved.
    This is a fallacy. CA has released the Assembly Kit for TWS2. With the Assembly Kit you can do pretty much anything. I've seen examples made by some members on here.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by spartan_warrior View Post
    We have one... it's called the Assembly Kit.

I am cautiously optimistic that we will see something along the lines of another Assembly Kit being released for Rome 2 sometime after release, probably shortly after the release of the major expansion. My only concern is that given the community's seeming lack of interest in Shogun 2's Assembly kit CA might not deem the effort to do it again worthwhile. Although, given the popularity of Rome 2, I hope they will.
    I feel like the Assembly Kit was much too late and the unmoddability of recent games have already done a lot of damage to the Total War community. I am happy that CA actually did manage to respond to us, but 4 years without very good mod capabilities has really hurt the amount of long term interest in the games. Like most of us say, we still find ourselves playing a 6 year old game (M2TW), and a frickin' 8 year old game (RTW) more than the modern Empire, Napoleon, and Shogun 2.

I say to CA, if you manage to bring out an Assembly Kit for people early in the game's lifespan, like in Skyrim where they gave the users the Creation Kit after a month or two, it would make a lot of people, including myself, happier.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast