View Poll Results: what kind of MP modes would you prefer in TW:R2 (feel free to choose multiple stuff)

Voters
289. You may not vote on this poll
  • classical mode PvP Team vs Team, Free for all (Rome 1 like), perhaps with less or no unit skilling and retainers

137 47.40%
  • Avatar mode as known, matchmade battles

72 24.91%
  • something new (evolved)

101 34.95%
  • a working bug free MP campaign for 2 players

109 37.72%
  • a working bug free MP campaign for 4 players

167 57.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: ROME II - Official Multiplayer discussion.

Default Re: ROME II - Official Multiplayer discussion.

Give me a great multiplayer campaign with more then 2 people and I will buy a new computer.
    I can see it now... My friends and me dominating the ai factions until attacking eachother. With backstabs and alliances a multiplayer campaign with more then 2 people would never get old.

I'm thinking that they'll keep the avatar conquest mode, but because of the historical diversity of the factions, you obviously can't have everyone have access to teh same units. therefore, I think that at the start, you'll choose a faction to play as, and control that faction's historical territory, and have access to that faction's historical unit selection. As you fight your way across the map, you'll get access to regional auxilia from those regions that you take, so that perhaps you can boost your army with relatively compentent (but not elite) foriegn units that your faction was historically weak in. For example, if a steppe faction takes Greece, it will be able to recruit some low level hoplites and phalangists. This will also make the avatar conquest have more intuitive and important goals; if you find yourself in need of a certain unit type, you must consciously design your campaign around taking lands that will supply you with that unit. The more I think about this idea the more I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by stradar1 View Post
    forget it ur not going to get a real time world I dont want it and many do not as well....
    I'm sure some had a similar reaction to chess when it first came out on the computer.

It's inevitable.

Icon14 Re: ROME II - Official Multiplayer discussion.

I don't want an avatar campaign however I do hope that you can still make your general. I hope there is free for all and four player campaign. I would also like to see a general MP chat.

They mention something amazing and its so amazing that they first need to make shure if they can pull it off before talking .. so you can be sure that there is going to be more than 2 player for sure..

Do the steam servers or whatever you play mp on for ETW/S2 do any checks for cheating?

or is it purely hosted by players as has always been?

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fidelis View Post
    I don't want an avatar campaign however I do hope that you can still make your general. I hope there is free for all and four player campaign. I would also like to see a general MP chat.
    Like you said, screw the Avatar campaign (doesnt fit total war MP at all) but keep the general maker.

I guess they want to compete with Mount&Blade, I don't mind it.

Indefinitely Banned

Looking forward to hearing more about multiplayer, especially this big secret feature planned! Im hoping it will be a bigger mutliplayer campaign but atm you guys need to fix the current multiplayer campaign with Shogun 2, i think the lastest patch has done somthing to it, me and my friend can't play battles, they seem to just linger there.

A RUS style battle map would be incredible.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Do the steam servers or whatever you play mp on for ETW/S2 do any checks for cheating?

or is it purely hosted by players as has always been?

tw does not support server based hosting so steam is only providing the delivery plattform and some social features. games are hosted peer to peer between players thats why drophacking in S2 is easily possible, quite "popular" and not checked by VAC or CA.

So nothing as changed since gamespy basically? Also is it possible to Hamachi it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nearby View Post
    They mention something amazing and its so amazing that they first need to make shure if they can pull it off before talking .. so you can be sure that there is going to be more than 2 player for sure..
    Actually no. On this interview they made it perfectly clear.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-2-information

"We're not planning to drop campaign multiplayer," said Simpson. "It's reasonably popular. Actually, more people play that than I thought would. I thought it would be a fairly niche thing, but it's not."

When we previewed Total War: Rome 2, Creative Assembly told us it was "planning something big" for the game's multiplayer.

"We haven't said yet what the big change is going to be," Simpson commented, "but it's bigger than that [an evolution of the campaign map multiplayer]."

So as you can see, it's possible that the online campaign won't be much different from what we have seen, he seems to say "what? that online campaign? yeah, we're keeping it, but no, we haven't looked that much on that".

So the "big change" isn't that. Probably he's just hyping something too crazy that won't get to the game, or won't be well developed. More likely, the "big change" it's just a boring improvement on the avatar campaign, wich i really don't care, i wan't serious improvements on the online campaign feature, that's all I care about.

PS: It actually concerns me that he thought it was going to be a niche thing.....i mean...SERIOUSLY? an online campaign has been wanted since the beggining of Total War, how can he missed that?. The only reason why online campaign on shogun 2 isn't the most popular online feature, its because the current system is slow and bugged as hell with desync all the time.
    Last edited by Sir Sesshaku; August 16, 2012 at 04:26 PM.

It actually concerns me that he thought it was going to be a niche thing.....i mean...SERIOUSLY? an online campaign has been wanted since the beggining of Total War, how can he missed that?. The only reason why online campaign on shogun 2 isn't the most popular online feature, its because the current system is slow and bugged as hell with desync all the time.
    Which used to be the justification for not moving forward, even though it was admitted long ago on the Org they had originally wanted it themselves.

Anyway, I'm excited to hear they are opening their eyes to MPC, it can only get better with all the consumer tracking they are doing through Steam on play/usage statistics for multiplayer.

All they need is a beta to make sure things go smoothly before launch
    "It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Robert E. Lee

There's a thought.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Multiplayer modes - what would you prefer

hi guys just want to know what multiplayer mode ASIDE from the multiplayer campaign would you prefer for Rome 2

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Multiplayer modes - what would you prefer

Perhaps a king of the hill mode where your selected units respawn once defeated and you have to hold the hill for say 10 minutes. Should your army be defeated the clock is frozen until you retake the hill. The clock should also freeze when the hill is contested or the timer should go down for players contesting the hill to stop campers.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

4 player Co-op Campaign (as in all one nation, but own different Families n land stuff) Like Rome TW 1 with its Noble Families.
    United we stand interenets! Nerdfighter.
    Warcraft Total War!
    Help Save a Wonderful mod that could
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273449
    You guys should register for the golden Symbol of Forum Oppression http://signup.europauniversalis4.com/r/89425f5ce60

Im sitting on needles for any announcement about the Multiplayer campaign. So far they have all ignored me i take this as a good sign tho.