Thread: Extra Lesson - GIMP 2.8: Screenshot Editing & M2TW Menu Basics

Domesticus
    Artifex

Default Extra Lesson - GIMP 2.8: Screenshot Editing & M2TW Menu Basics

Note: Sorry for being so late fellows, I've been super busy lately and simply couldn't do this earlier - the M2TW menu request was a pain. However, I wish what I've done here is enough.

Extra Lesson - GIMP 2.8: Screenshot Editing & M2TW Menu Basics
    On this extra lesson that caused me so much pain we'll fool around doing some various stuff (some requested by the students), and with GIMP 2.8 this time.

GIMP 2.8
    Here's a snapshot of GIMP 2.8 interface - it is very similar to the one in earlier versions.
    Click to view content: 

There are a few remarkable things to notice at this point. First you'll probably notice the blue sliders all around the screen. In this version of GIMP you can adjust for example brush size by either moving (or clicking on) the slider, which greatly speeds up your work.

Another new feature is that GIMP now supports rotating brushes - at the bottom of the Toolbox you can adjust the brush angle.

Finally, you can now use "Save" (File > Save or Ctrl + S) only for saving your image as .xcf (GIMP format), while you'll have to use "Export" (Ctrl + E) to save in other formats.

To view the full list of changes see the official GIMP homesite. I've mentioned only three new features here, so you should definitely check out the rest of them - in total there's an insane amount of changes.

You can also see a new drop menu at the top: "Script-Fu". That's where your scripted plug-ins will appear once you've installed them. To find plug-ins for GIMP, just search for them on Google.

Screenshot Editing
    For this part I have chosen a Napoleon: Total War screenshot to be improved. I'll go for basic editing only - colours, shadows and such. NTW and S2TW have excellent graphics and are thus easy to make look good, but since for example M2TW has a lot lower graphics it is popular to replace the original sky with a sky photo. However, that's quite a basic trick technically and I won't be teaching it to you for now.

And again, thanks to Astaroth for showing how to make rain easily - I had never thought of such an option.

Step 1

First off I'll naturally cut off the user interface. UI isn't the part of the image where you want to show off your skills. I have a certain system which I use for cropping NTW screenshots. In the top part of the image I place the crop line just below the lowest tip of the UI piece in the left corner, and then make the crop "selection" 1680 x 760 in size and click to crop the image.
    Click to view content: 

Step 2

Now we'll use the old trick: layer duplicating to add some colour to the image. However, this time we'll do that in a bit different way.

Well, first we'll duplicate the layer:
    Click to view content: 

Step 3

Now set the upper layer to "Overlay" layer mode and then colorise it the way you want:
    Click to view content: 

Step 4

Add a white layer mask to the duplicate layer, select the gradient tool, select the "FG to BG" gradient of linear shape and make sure you have set black and white as your colours. Then just apply the gradient on the layer mask. My point here is to make the upper part of the image look blue, and to make the colour change smoothly we need a gradient.

Now I'll just click and drag upwards:
    Click to view content: 

Step 5

I still wanted to increase the blue effect, so I duplicated the blue layer one more time (notice that the layer mask is duplicated as well) and set the third layer to 25 % opacity.
    Click to view content: 

Step 6

Now I'll show you how to add rain to the screenshot. The technique is very simple yet the result is really good enough.

First we'll need some "noise" - that is what smudgy pixels are called. Create a new layer, fill it with black and apply the "HSV Noise" filter as follows:
    Click to view content: 

Remember: the more white pixels you have, the heavier the rain will be.

Step 7

Now we'll turn those white pixels into long white lines with the "Motion Blur" filter, which can be very useful at times. Set the length and angle values as you want and click "OK".
    Click to view content: 

Step 8

Now we'll simply change black to Alpha, and voilą, we have a nice rain effect (see the result in the 9th step)!
    Click to view content: 

Step 9

The rain seems a bit weak, so I'll keep duplicating the rain layer until I'm happy with it (or in other words, three times):
    Click to view content: 

Step 10

At this point I decided to merge some layers to keep things simple, so I'll merge the rain layers as well as the screenshot layers. As it comes to the screenshot layers it is also absolutely necessary for the next step.
    Click to view content: 

Step 11

Far on the battlefield you can see those odd black smoke clouds that are typical to NTW. Now I'll teach an effective way to get rid of them.

Select the Clone tool, make sure you have selected the screenshot layer, set the Clone tool size to whatever you think is good. Then hold down Control key and click on a "normal" cloud spot near the black cloud's location:
    Click to view content: 

Step 12

It is quite difficult to explain how the Clone tool works, especially as I realised it quite a little time ago myself as well, but I'll try.

In the step above you have set a clone source - it is a spot where the cloning will be begun. When you release Control and start "drawing" around with the Clone tool, the clone source moves in exactly the same way (pace and direction) as you move your cursor. When you "draw", the current spot of the clone source is cloned to the layer you're working on. You should really try it yourself, it's difficult to explain but easy to understand once you get the hang of it.

Well, anyways, I'll now create a new layer and start cloning the white cloud on top of the black one. I suggest keeping your mouse drags short and more like dab with the Clone tool. Also, selecting a softer brush may not be a bad idea, although I did quite well with the hardest brush (see the Toolbox).
    Click to view content: 

Step 13

Once you're ready make sure you blur the smoke fix to make the result look less jagged - once the blur has been applied it will be very difficult to tell you've been fixing those parts.
    Click to view content: 

Step 14

Keep cloning until you're ready, and remember to create a new layer after each blurring attempt (or blur everything at once)
    Click to view content: 

Step 15

In NTW there's an annoying rendering bug: the edges of the horses' brows are often covered by white pixels. Luckily fixing that is easy as well, but it may take a lot of time, so I don't always bother to do that.

Select the Paintbrush tool and a softer brush (I used the second hardest one - it's quite good for this), make sure you have black set to FG, create a new layer and start painting on top of the white pixels. Remember to zoom out (Ctrl + mouse) every now and then, as that will make it easier to spot those pixels.
    Click to view content: 

Step 16

Just like with the clouds, continue until you think you're ready. After some painting work I thought that the result was perfect:
    Click to view content: 

Step 17

Finally I'll add some more dramaticness to the screenshot by using the old trick we've used many times already: a radial shade. Create a new layer, set it to "Soft light" this time and change the opacity to something around 40 %. Also make sure you've selected the "FG to Transparency" gradient of a radial shape and reversed the gradient (click the two-headed blue arrow). Then click the middle of the image and drag towards the edge.
    Click to view content: 

Now the screenshot is ready, and it looks damn good after I've added that one-pixel black border! The only flaw there is those weird raindrops at the bottom, but I'm absolutely too lazy to find a way to fix that. May this do for now.
    Click to view content: 

M2TW Menu Basics
    I'm now, by the special request of some students, going to create a very simple main menu for a fully fictitious mod, "Viking: Total War", which I just composed. Great, another one man mod! Well, as you certainly understand creating a main menu takes hours and hours to finish, so here's a thirty-minutes attempt on it.

To get your hands on the M2TW menu file you'll have to unpack the game. To get advice on that please see the M2TW Mod Workshop - there are countless of threads on that subject. After that you should follow Alletun's Eye Candy Tutorial to set up your menu (or alternatively you could download Gigantus's Bare Kingdoms). This is no modding course so I'm not going through that here.

Once all that has been done on that front, open a file called "_m2_border.tga" (.tga being the file extension) in .../.../M2TW/data/menu. GIMP should be able to import TGA files. If GIMP can't open the file, uninstall GIMP and make sure you tick the box of TGA file format during installation.

Step 1

M2TW menu file is 1024 x 768 in size, so first you should naturally create an image of that size (or open the original _m2_border.tga as said). After that you'll need a proper texture; I used an old wood texture. Paste the texture into GIMP and make a selection that is somewhat similar to mine:
    Click to view content: 

Step 2

Add a white layer mask to your texture layer and fill the selection with black:
    Click to view content: 

Step 3

Between the two bars at the top and at the bottom you'll need to add a nice background - this time I searched for "viking wallpaper", found the following image and pasted it on its own layer, below the texture layer:
    Click to view content: 

Step 4

Now we'll need to select the visible part of the texture, so we'll use the "Mask to Selection" feature - this is basically the same as "Alpha to Selection", but it can be used only when you have an unapplied layer mask on your layer.
    Click to view content: 

Step 5

Now just add a drop shadow - that will make the border of the texture and background look much better.
    Click to view content: 

Step 6

Now select the layer mask of the texture layer and blur it slightly, as that will make the border look even better. This technique really isn't something you should use on every menu, but for this quickie one it is just fine.
    Click to view content: 

Step 7

Now you'll certainly be surprised - I'm going to use a radial gradient to darken the image!

Oh well, create a new layer add a white layer mask, select the layer mask of the texture layer and then copy-paste it to the new layer's mask. Then change the layer mode to "Soft light", make sure you have set the gradient settings right ("FG to Transparency", reversed, radial shape - see the Toolbox) and then, one more time, click and drag:
    Click to view content: 

Step 8

Now duplicate the background layer and set it to "Overlay" to make it a bit more dramatic.
    Click to view content: 

Step 9

Create still one more duplicate of the wallpaper layer, set it to "Overlay" as well, set the opacity to something around 25 % and then colorise it:
    Click to view content: 

Step 10

Now we'll have to add some text to the top part of the menu. Whatever you do there make sure that there's enough room for the faction shields (when you're preparing a Custom Battle for example). Most mod's have 31 factions and the shields will then be split on both sides of the top "bar", so you shouldn't use all the room there is.
    Click to view content: 

Step 11

Drawing a thin bar between the text lines is a nice way to make your mod banner a bit more impressive:
    Click to view content: 

Step 12

Now we'll select text Alpha and fill the letters with a golden gradient to make the text colour asymmetrical.
    Click to view content: 

Step 13

At this point of the menu making process I received a divine announcement that I should desaturate the text, and so I did:
    Click to view content: 

Step 14

Now follows one more familiar trick - you should add a drop shadow behind the text. That makes it look a lot better.
    Click to view content: 

Step 15

Duplicate the text drop shadow a couple of times to make it more bold.
    Click to view content: 

Step 16

Now we'll have a look at a very cool GIMP plug-in, which is totally free as well! That plug-in is called "Layer Effects Filter" and it is downloadable here. Installing it can, however, turn out a bit difficult. Also, the Python version works only on GIMP 2.8, so you should definitely get it - the non-Python version lacks a preview possibility.

Well, anyways, once you've got it installed just click "Layer", then "Layer Effects" and "Bevel and Emboss". Make sure to tick at least the "Preview" box at the bottom of the dialog and adjust the settings as you want. GIMP will then preview the result on the actual image screen, not in a separate window as usual.
    Click to view content: 

Step 17

Again a divine being told me to try random things, so I set the text layer to "Grain extract" because it looked quite good in my weird opinion.
    Click to view content: 

Step 18

At the top you should basically add something else than text, too, because text-only banner is quite plain. Helmets, swords, flags and such are good for this, and I'll go for a viking helmet. I've rendered and rescaled the helmet and then pasted it on it's own layer. Well, after that I duplicated the helmet layer, selected the Flip tool to flip the helmet layer horizontally to add a reflection of the helmet to the right.

Flip the layer by left-clicking on it with the Flip tool.
    Click to view content: 

Step 19

Now select the Move tool and place the other helmet where you want:
    Click to view content: 

Step 20

I got the urge to make random things again so I duplicated the "Border shade" layer and set the duplicate to "Color" layer mode and 75 % opacity. "Color" mode will make the layers below of the same colour as the "Color" layer, and thus in this case doing this will partially desaturate the image edges.
    Click to view content: 

Step 21

I decided to give the texture layer some more taste, so I duplicated it and set the duplicate layer to 25 % opacity and "Multiply" layer mode.
    Click to view content: 

Step 22

Finally I thought to improve the top "bar" a little, so I made the text dark and brightened the area between the helmets. I did that by making an ellipse selection, filling the selection with white, blurring the ellipse and setting the layer to "Overlay".

Anyways, here's the result:
    Click to view content: 

Quite good in my opinion, considering the fact that it was made quite quickly. Once you're ready make sure to save the menu as a .tga file.

It is over now - this was the very last lesson. I wish many of you attend this lesson, as you've been great students and you've all improved your skills dramatically!

Screenshot editing is a very useful skill, so I suggest trying at least that if menu making isn't your cup of tea.

Optional exercises
    You can give a try to both screenshot editing and menu making if you wish. Please post the results in this thread by Friday the 6th of July. Also, if you are editing screenshots please provide me with the original image.

Last edited by Goofy; July 11, 2012 at 08:29 AM.

Raritу's Avatar Glück auf!
    Artifex

Default Re: Extra Lesson - GIMP 2.8: Screenshot Editing & M2TW Menu Basics

I won't be able to take any screenshot, so I suppose I should just make menus.

I've made some, this is fun, here're 3 of them:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Yeah, the same old random pony stuffs

Last edited by Raritу; July 01, 2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: I can't count!
    Honored filly of M and happily taking my glance over Milner and Diamat

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

I'll get on it ASAP (have work next coupla days though, so i may be a bit.)

edse's Avatar Domesticus

Edited Screenshot
    Original Screenshot

NVM: A friend of mine just told me how but step 2 in the menue part has an unvalid picture. I cant load it. :/
    Original

With GIMP

Yes I know the picture below isnt good, but I just have to test some stuff out and I have to leave tomorrow so I just have to upload it as soon as possible.

Menu

and I get this error message when I try to drop the shadow at Step 3:

Error: ( : 1) Procedure execution of gimp-image-set-active-layer failed on invalid input arguments: Procedure 'gimp-image-set-active-layer' has been called with an invalid ID for argument 'active-layer'. Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on a layer that doesn't exist any longer.
    Last edited by The Norseman; July 01, 2012 at 05:14 PM.

SonofPeverel's Avatar GLORY TOTHE BROTHERHOOD
    Content Emeritus

Alas, my laptop with photoshop has crashd. I am working on getting it fixed

HOUSE OF HADER

First half completed:

Last edited by Willowran; July 04, 2012 at 12:14 PM.

sorry i'm taking so long to get to the second half o the assignment... my boss has me working full time at the mo', and i have another job interview in two days... taking full advantage of summer to make millions.

... Only 4 people have done the lesson and it was supposed to be done 3 days ago. Time to send some PMs maybe?

I think Goofy fell into a long sleep

hmm... maybe we should become substitute teachers for him until he returns?
    Last edited by Willowran; July 11, 2012 at 06:35 AM.

Domesticus
    Artifex

@Rarity: Great! I like them, they're very neat. Maybe not what I was expecting but well, you've done a good job with them. The top and bottom "bars" look very good and professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarity
    I won't be able to take any screenshot, so I suppose I should just make menus.
    Why?

And oh, I recommend FRAPS for taking screenshots - it's easy to use and the screenshots are of high quality, and first and foremost: it's a free program.

@edse: Excellent! Really, very good editing there. I like the way you've highlighted that Balrog.

@The Norseman: Very good! I like the screenshot, and the menu is nice as well. The only thing you should improve on is the text "Valhalla: Total War" - you should use the techniques I taught on Lesson 4 (or create something all new).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman
    and I get this error message when I try to drop the shadow at Step 3:

Error: ( : 1) Procedure execution of gimp-image-set-active-layer failed on invalid input arguments: Procedure 'gimp-image-set-active-layer' has been called with an invalid ID for argument 'active-layer'. Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on a layer that doesn't exist any longer.
    I've encountered this error message as well, but can't now tell what you were having wrong. It may be something related to layer masks or such.

You probably found a workaround already, right?

@Willowran: Wow, fabulous work on the screenshot! The snowish effect looks very nice. Also the ground is a lot better!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman
    ... Only 4 people have done the lesson and it was supposed to be done 3 days ago. Time to send some PMs maybe?
    I've already sent a PM to everyone who hasn't completed the course, and in that message they were also informed of this lesson so no need for that. Plus this is a fully optional lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowran
    I think Goofy fell into a long sleep
    Just being very busy - fortunately this huge project is quickly drawing to a close! It has required a lot of effort but the work I've done with you has also been most rewarding.

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

Here:

Original:

Edited:

As for the second part, I don't have time to do it, but I get the idea and it will surely be helpful! Thanks

Domesticus
    Artifex

Ya lil crook, ya postin' late...

Well, that rain effect is very nice! I can also see you submitted that to POTW - good.
    Quote Originally Posted by NekoGenijalan
    As for the second part, I don't have time to do it, but I get the idea and it will surely be helpful! Thanks
    If you want you can send me the results at any time via PM, and actually anyone who's trying to complete this lesson should do that. Maybe I should close the lesson threads although that really isn't necessary if people just read this message.
    Last edited by Goofy; July 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Better late than never...right?

Sorry for the delay Goofy, and I hope you like my screenshot:

And here is the original:

Alas I attempted the menu-making but I didn't want to shame you, or myself, by posting it.

Thanks for everything. And I'm sorry that I eneded the lesson poorly. But if you are ever doing something else...
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Domesticus
    Artifex

Very nice editing, keep it up Shankie. Although if I was you I'd try to find a way to get rid of those jagged lens flares. And oh, that half of a mounted knight on the left looks ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12
    Better late than never...right?
    I'll have to fail you, I'm afraid.
    Thanks for everything.
    No problem mah buddy.
    But if you are ever doing something else...
    ...I shouldn't tell you, right? Sure, fine by me.
    Last edited by Goofy; July 20, 2012 at 08:56 AM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

You have to tell me.

And I understand about the fail...

Domesticus
    Artifex

And I understand about the fail...
    It was sarcasm. I seem to be the only person on this forum who understands sarcasm, apart from Kammy, he's a tough dude, too, although he's now locked behind the door of Leigo's filthy DUNGEON.

I mean, you have received your medal already, and this lesson was fully optional. You've passed the course as is stated in the class graduation thread, and you did it well, too.
    Last edited by Goofy; July 20, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Ah, teach - you have me at an advantage, I'm only a new member...

Nah, I was (trying) to reply in the same fashion, although the sad face might have been a bit overboard.

And thanks for your kind words.

Domesticus
    Artifex

I seem to be the only person on this forum who doesn't understand sarcasm, apart from Kammy, he's a tough dude, too, although he's now locked behind the door of Leigo's filthy DUNGEON.

On a more serious note, I was expecting this - but yeah, the sad smiley got me.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm not even going to try and continue this.