Thread: Framerate limiter in MSI Afterburner is great

Default Framerate limiter in MSI Afterburner is great

Almost by accident I discovered that using the framerate limiter in MSI Afterburner gives me a much smoother rendering experience in some TW games, even with lower framerates. For example scrolling the map in Napoleon TW always had some strange stutters even though the framerate was between 50-70fps. After limiting the framerate to 30fps, map scrolling is very smooth without stutters. Besides smoother rendering, limiting the framerate has many other advantages for the GPU, like less utilization, lower power usage, less heat, quieter operation, more OC headroom.

I use it with my 7970. I think Nvidia added a framerate limiter to their driver settings recently, therefore Nvidia users don't need Afterburner for that.

Here are the instructions:
    1) Enable OSD in Afterburner
    2) Restart afterburner
    3) Running OSD will put an app called "riva tuner" in your system tray, its the afterburner icon but has a purple 60 on it
    4) Open riva tuner
    5) Add the Napoleon.exe to the application list and select it
    6) Go in options (click on the wrench on the top right), set frame rate limiter to 25-60fps (0 is unlimited)
    7) you can also combine fps limiter with in game vsync if you want

Result:
    - No microstutters (e.g. much smoother map scrolling in Napoleon TW for me)
    - (Much) lower GPU utilization -> less power -> less heat -> quieter -> more OC headroom

Obviously I can't say how well it will work for others but I think it's well worth experimenting with it. It's also nice to limit older games which run unnecessarily fast (like > 100fps) otherwise. It should also help to reduce coil whine when you are affected by limiting too high FPS in game menus.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; June 28, 2012 at 04:06 AM.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Framerate limiter in MSI Afterburner is great

I've seen that before but don't remember either with catalyst or gamebooster. Never had afterburner installed. Will check when I get back hope. Don't know what the function before. Thanks for the info.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

there's also adaptive vsync now for nvidia users..

yeah I have been meaning to try this out. atm been messing with nvinspector and using game profiles with vysnc and triple buffering for Diablo3...

will give this a go but most of the time I find vsync and triple bufferin work fine..

how do melees pan out or sieges? can you hold 60fps in a big fight or smokey line infantry firing?

I actually haven't tested the framerate limiter in S2 yet since I am playing mostly Napoleon and Empire mods atm.

And as u know, it's impossible to achieve 60fps when zooming in on big melee fights in S2 since even with a 2500k@4.7Ghz, the CPU limitation kicks in and fps might drop to 20fps.

Otherwise, since I don't play multiplayer, having pretty constant 30 or 40 fps is actually fine for me. I rather max out image quality e.g. with 4xSSAA on the 7970 rather than having 60fps.

Just a note, I could not get the FPS limiter in Evga Precision X to work with S2. I'd set it to 59 but on the campaign map it would still jump well into the 80s.

Vsyn and trip buffering for me still. I loath tearing, and with a 680 and a 60hz monitor, its the only way to go. Without vsync the 680 puts out too many frames on campaign map.

It works with Napoleon for me. Thanks for sharing, this campaign map stutter was pretty annoying.

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

This issue should really be stickied here. I'm downloading MSI Afterburner too, and will report back as to the results.

EDIT - Wow with Afterburner installed and FPS limited to 30, the campaign map is about 100x smoother. Still an occasional stutter here and there, but I'm not sure any Total War game has ever been 100% stutter free when you are scrolling all over the campaign map. And, I have all graphics settings back to their highest level!

Please, for the love of god, someone sticky this thread!!! Maybe change the title to something like "A great workaround for the ATI Campaign/Battle Stuttering Issue".
    Last edited by marceror; June 07, 2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Tried Afterburner

Zaar's Avatar Semisalis

so, *cough ... sorry for picking up on your nerves, BUT what is OSD again and where could i get the afterburner?

Thanks in advance

---->never mind, got it
    Last edited by Zaar; September 06, 2013 at 04:25 AM.

No problem, you can get the latest Afterburner version from here:
    http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/..._download.html
    Don't mind that it's called 'beta' because Afterburner is essentially in eternal beta but I am using it since years and never had a single problem.

Here is a youtube video showing how to activate the framerate limiter. Note that the download shown here is the last official version from January 2013 which is fine as well. And even though the software is from MSI it works essentially with every brand and with AMD and Nvidia cards.

OSD = On Screen Display server which is the 2nd component of Afterburner which also contains the framerate limiter

Zaar's Avatar Semisalis

Thats pretty awesome, thanks Buddy for all your efforts!!! Now, even I understand it )

Thx + Rep (when possible again )

MSI Afterburner latest version has much more overclocking features than what is mentioned here

Janbāru's Avatar Libertus

Interesting
    I need to try it. Thanks for sharing this

Janbāru's Avatar Libertus

I gave it a try during the week-end. I had a bit of troubles for the settings as the latest version v4.6.2 is slightly different to the video above. But anyway, I've managed and the framerate limit is set at 30 FPS for now
    It seems working fine so far. I haven't seen much improvement so far regarding the GPU % of use but I can say that the fan has been working a lot less than by the past. So I guess that the heat is not that important anymore on my old laptop, which is already appreciable. I haven't played during a long period yet. That will be interesteing to see how this works after a few hours.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

If memory serves then running a mod in windowed mode disables the FPS display of the app. M2TW experience only.