Thread: Custom Battle Crash

Default Custom Battle Crash

I have started to get the CTD right after the loading bar for the custom battle appears but nothing is loaded except for battlefield (always grassy plains) as log says. It happens for any faction and seemingly for any unit too. However the campaign battles work perfectly fine (with the same units) and all models are visible there.

At first I have suspected the modeldb but since campaign battles work fine it cannot be the problem.

So what is left is the battlefield used but I always use the grassy plains which are taken from vanilla (as log proves) because other battlefield have not been relocated to valid campaign coordinates and crashes rightfully when tried.

What is specific to custom battles that it crashes them while in campaign battles work fine?

Thanks for help.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: Custom Battle Crash

No idea if this has anything to do with it but: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=521738

Default Re: Custom Battle Crash

Thanks. It gave me an idea and I was able to solve it.

To clarify, we are using 30 factions for custom battles with modified faction selection screen to allow that (could be 31 but rebels have far too many units). Removing all custom battlefields did NOT work and the battle still crashed at the start of loading. However when I copied over the pre-determined battlefields (grassy plain) files from vanilla to the mod I started to see ONLY this battlefield instead of all vanilla ones. Yet it still crashed on loading of battle. So I poked around the battle script and to my surprise there is a MAP REFERENCE coordinates!

Obviously the coordinates were not valid and simply changing them to valid ones fixed the problem. So it is NOT only the custom battlefields but also the default battlefield scripts that need changing of map coordinates to make them work with custom maps in mods. No idea why it is so but thanks for pointing me to the right direction!

To anyone reading this having similar custom battle CTD. Make sure the coordinates in scripts of default battlefields (Arsuf, Grassy Plains etc.) are valid for your custom map. Making custom locations valid is NOT enough!

Sample:

Code:
    ; Custom battle script generated by Romans Battle Editor

battle		GRASSY_PLAIN
    playable
    end
    nonplayable
    end

start_date	500 summer
    end_date	500 summer

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ; >>>> start of factions section <<<<

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ; >>>> start of battle section <<<<

battle	118, 289 ;default was 101, 151 which are invalid coordinates on my map and gave me crash upon this battlefield load in custom battles
    battle_time	12.00	345.00
    weather	clear

; >>>> start of objectives scripting section <<<<

objectives
    Last edited by Resurrection; June 23, 2012 at 02:14 AM.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher